How bad can El Paso Be?

7 minutes ago, Matagorda said:

In my field of work, El Paso is paying close to three times normal wages.  

Any of you live and have an opinion about the town?  Am I looking at just getting my family members kidnapped/beheaded, or is it safe and all that Narco stuff overblown? 

It’s pretty safe, imo.  It’s definitely got it’s own vibe, but for 3x the pay, you only have to stay 1/3 as long. 

To answer the question in the subject, it’s not bad at all. Overall good climate, safe city, affordable compared to a lot of Texas cities, good food, etc. Downsides are that it’s remote to the big TX metros, airport is pretty limited and you’re not going to have all the amenities of the big metros. I think EP punches above its weight class and you could pick a lot worse places to live in TX.

7 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

El Paso is the safest city in the US.

Crossing the border to work the donkey show in Juarez may be a painful commute though.

that donkey show must really pay !!

3 times more than the valley ??? congrats !

Edited by tx 3 putt

16 hours ago, Matagorda said:

In my field of work, El Paso is paying close to three times normal wages.  

Any of you live and have an opinion about the town?  Am I looking at just getting my family members kidnapped/beheaded, or is it safe and all that Narco stuff overblown? 

You've been misinformed if you think there's ever a chance of being kidnapped or beheaded. I lived there for about 8 months and my work might send me back because others in the company are just as misinformed. It is remote, but lots of flights go directly to all major Texas cities. The airport is an easy in and out. The drive back home for me (Austin) isn't that bad, it's an easy 8 hours. I had worse drives going back home when I lived 4 hours away in Galveston. The one hour drive I have now from New Braunfels sucks too. 

As for El Paso itself, it's great. People are nice, food is great, plenty to do. As said already, really safe place to live. It has its bad parts, like all cities. When I lived there, I had to find a place quick, sight unseen, apparently a bad part of town, but I didn't find it so. Nice neighbors, park down the street, but the locals I worked with kept telling me I lived in what is called the devil's triangle. Neighbor across the street did have a truck stolen from him, but he had 4 other vehicles and left the truck unlocked with keys in it. Lol. 

I miss the cost of living there, pay me what they do, feels like I won some kind of lottery. Downside for me, maybe not for you, no HEB. But I offset that with Vista Market. If your uncomfortable being around a lot of Mexicans, no matter how safe it is, then stay put. I love the place, hopefully for me I go back after the holidays, but with work, they'll probably call me and ask me to go tomorrow. 

One last thing, weather is mild except for the occasional dust storm. A lot of houses have swamp coolers, so if you go looking, keep an eye out for that. Look for central air. 

Edited by Dewey
  • Hook 'Em 1

El Paso is very cool. If you are used to creature comforts of a large metro (Dallas/Houston/Austin in Texas) then you will have to adjust your lifestyle a bit, but El Paso offers 75% of what those cities have.

What it makes up for is in cost of living and culture-- a good analogy is that El Paso is to a major Texas city like what a college town is to a city.

El Paso is more closely related to Las Cruces, NM than anything else as well. 

Never lived there, have been thru / stayed there many times mostly 20+ years ago so a lot of shits changed, but the city ain't moved. It's an oasis. Satellite TV and Amazon has changed the game. Low crime, good food, what's not to like?

• Hook 'Em 1

Being born and bred in El Paso, I'll echo what everyone else has already posted. Weather is nice, except for spring dust storms. Also, El Paso is connected to the Western power grid, so less chance of death in winter. Hell, even Alamo Drafthouse House moved in a couple of years ago. 

IF I could get 3 times my San Antonio salary, I would give it a hard look, and I have no living family there anymore. 

I would stick to the westside of town. Can't beat the sunsets over the New Mexico valley. 

Edited by RiverwalkMiner
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

All the above is true. El Paso is a great small city. Not a bad drive to ski areas in NM if that is your thing.

By far worst problem is air quality. Horrible air pollution. Starting to get a lot of sprawl also.

And traffic on I-10 can be a shit show, although probably not any worse than any other Texas metro.

When I was a kid, my dad had business in El Paso a handful of times a year. He'd take me sometimes and we'd go over to Juarez and eat like kings, hit up the dog races.
Memories.

It’s a shame what the US war on drugs and other policies have done to our neighbors. (Surly fascists, don’t get all in a hussy, yes, they have their own homegrown problems as well).

On 11/8/2022 at 2:33 PM, Matagorda said:

Am I looking at just getting my family members kidnapped/beheaded, or is it safe and all that Narco stuff overblown? 

The great irony of the Walmart shooter’s belief that Mexicans are inherently violent and dangerous is that he eclipsed the entire El Paso homicide total of 2018 in that one 2019 shooting. EP is probably safer than wherever you live now.

I went there once a quarter for work every quarter from 2001-2006.  And still get out there about once a year for other conferences.  Have many good friends there.  Never felt unsafe there even walking back to the hotel at 2am.  Great restaurants, love that new(ish) ballpark, met Dave Chapelle in that domed bar once before he got really big.  Art Museum is fantastic.  Very walkable.  Not a whole helluva lot to do unless you wanna drive out of town and get a good hike.  Mom's family is from the RGV.  I feel very safe down there as well and was there all the time for work stuff as well.  

My in-laws lose their minds whenever they find out I'm anywhere near the border for work.  Meanwhile their youngest daughter has most recently lived in Topeka and Wichita, two of the most violent hellscapes in the continental U.S.  But because it's in their homestate, they don't believe the data.  They were genuinely surprised last time they visited Austin that we didn't have illegals just running through our creekbed at night.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The first time I really understood how big Texas is was when my buddy got transferred to El Paso and told me that Dallas was about halfway when he would drive home to Atlanta.

Yeah, you can drive from Houston to Philadelphia in 23 hours and travel through 10 different states.  You can drive from Houston to Denver in 16 hours and only hit 3 states, and you spend 11 of the 16 hours within the state of Texas.

It's dumb sometimes. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, you can drive from Houston to Philadelphia in 23 hours and travel through 10 different states.  You can drive from Houston to Denver in 16 hours and only hit 3 states, and you spend 11 of the 16 hours within the state of Texas.

It's dumb sometimes. 

Whatever, Armybrat misses when New Mexico was part of Texas.

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

This is a fucking first. 40 post in and no one has shit on the town. Can't ever say that about any thread about any other Texas city.

And OP was never heard from again. Maybe he went to go check El Paso out after reading all the good things here and ended up being kidnapped by one of the cartels.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

This is a fucking first. 40 post in and no one has shit on the town. Can't ever say that about any thread about any other Texas city.

Well, there is a California population there, but not like the kind that moves to Austin. They blend in pretty well. 

On 11/15/2022 at 7:53 AM, Js1 said:

It's dumb sometimes. 

houston in milwauke in 23 hrs 

• 2 weeks later...

Made a Phoenix to Victoria,TX drive few days ago that was 630 AM MST departure and 3AM CST arrival. Stopped three times to nap in the morning though.

El Paso is fun to go through since the overpasses on I-10 are painted up and look different. Didn’t stop to eat or do anything fun in the city though. So my post is worthless. One pro is you can’t smell any of the cow shit from Anthony TX.

• 2 weeks later...