The Republican Civil War - it will be because we destroyed ourselves

tx 3 putt

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

something both R sides can agree on, the must limit voting ....

I don’t think it would work. The push back would be too great and the media would destroy them if they tried. We live in a first world country, not some shithole. Voting should be easy and convenient.

36 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I don’t think it would work. The push back would be too great and the media would destroy them if they tried. We live in a first world country, not some shithole. Voting should be easy and convenient.

Huh. Ok bud. Compare us to Canada. Or ask a woman who was forced to carry a dead fetus to term. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 2

31 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

The messaging from moderate republicans really has a "hostages trying to storm the cockpit" feel to it. They feel like this is their chance to oust the MAGA elements. I don't think it will work.

if they're smart, they'll claim the Imperius curse

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

The messaging from moderate republicans really has a "hostages trying to storm the cockpit" feel to it. They feel like this is their chance to oust the MAGA elements. I don't think it will work.

Good analogy, given that the MAGA crowd is hell-bent on flying the plane into a mountain.  Given what Boebert, MTG, Gaetz, etc. will likely do in the House (try and force everybody to do what they want), those moderate Republicans are either going to have to go along, or side with the Dems.

It'll be interesting though, because MTG and Boebert are too fucking stupid to realize that if they go after Biden or whatever, that if a few Republicans side with the Dems, MTG, Boebert, etc. will look toothless as hell.  If you aim at the king, best not miss.

Edited by atomheartbevo

It won’t. I think there’s a slightly bigger chance, actually, that this effort will fail, resulting in a clearer definition of the party as the party of Trump, and only Trump.
If they fail to “depose” him, he will emerge even stronger.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

This is what can bring him down.  Forget the normal things like shame and lack of decency, just speak the language he and his followers speak.  Since a fluke upset against a terrible candidate, he's lost the White House, lost the House, lost the Senate, and then prevented the Rs from having what should have been a slam dunk midterms.  If the Rs want to get rid of him, just call him a loser over and over and over again.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
4 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Fuck Em! Crash the GOP plane into the ground.

Este.

F1734C8E-0504-4EEB-AE61-E1FBD6548D93.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Good analogy, given that the MAGA crowd is hell-bent on flying the plane into a mountain.  Given what Boebert, MTG, Gaetz, etc. will likely do in the House (try and force everybody to do what they want), those moderate Republicans are either going to have to go along, or side with the Dems.

It'll be interesting though, because MTG and Boebert are too fucking stupid to realize that if they go after Biden or whatever, that if a few Republicans side with the Dems, MTG, Boebert, etc. will look toothless as hell.  If you aim at the king, best not miss.

They don’t care what they look like…  And they have zero self awareness.  They could walk around with a steaming pile of shit on their heads or toes fashioned out of sporks, out at the beach, and they’ll still have no idea why the world is giving them wtf looks.  

• Haha 1

DeSantis will crater on the debate stage. He has no charisma whatsoever. Barely squeaked past Gillum and then beat a guy who loses so much he makes Beto look like VY

I am not sure how, in the year of our lord 2022, one could think that 1.) debates matter at all; and 2.) if they did, that Trump would gain ground on anyone in a debate.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I am not sure how, in the year of our lord 2022, one could think that 1.) debates matter at all; and 2.) if they did, that Trump would gain ground on anyone in a debate.

Well, Warren committed a murder the first time she got on stage with Bloomberg, and ended his run.  Trump’s treatment of Jeb and Rubio also played a role in their disappointing performance. 

I’ll agree that it would be tough for a debate to take down someone who is leading. But if Desantis or anyone is scuffling leading up to a debate, a kill shot can be landed.  

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Debates did kinda matter in the 2016 GOP Primary.  Trump was a buffoon to most serious Republicans.  But it was watching Trump just beat the shit out of the half dozen to his left flank, then the half dozen to his right flank...changed minds.  Well, minds didn't change but noses were held and checks written and levers pulled.  Most serious Republican operators we heard from liked him even less after those debates...but they also noticed---he was invigorating a base they didn't know was there/couldn't reach AND their preferred candidate looked befuddled up there and not very Presidential at all standing up to a fucking gameshow host.  

But to your point, a general election debate is about as worthwhile as Dolly Parton last prostate exam.  Sure I'll still watch, but no opinions would be swayed.

Somebody is gonna figure out though how to get DeSantis and Trump in the same room with cameras long before Iowa 2024 (15 months away, keep in mind).  Some conference or fundraiser or some shit.  Nevermind there's a half dozen other legitimate candidates out there waiting to pounce in once these two start beating the shit outta each other.  DeSantis can run intellectual circles around Trump on policy, reasoning, vision, etc.  But to points above, DeSantis comes across as flat, flaccid, and boring.  

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Primary debates are unavoidable, especially if a lot of candidates will be running. Even if there aren't debates there will be rallies where Trump and DeSantis will be attacking each other.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Brisket is surprised. Really thought Trump would outpoll him significantly.

No worries. Once he announces and the campaign gets going, he’ll pull away.

This.  They are in the same frame of mind as a couple of days post 1/6.  They will snap back to their cult leader as soon as he announces.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Regardless of who the nominee is, are they going to be for forcing 10 year old girls to have babies?

If that doesn't change, the names on the ballot won't make a difference.

Can they really put that toothpaste back in the tube?  They showed what they want.  I don't think most people, especially women, will fall for "oh, we was just kiddin".

28 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

13 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Well, Warren committed a murder the first time she got on stage with Bloomberg, and ended his run.  Trump’s treatment of Jeb and Rubio also played a role in their disappointing performance. 

I’ll agree that it would be tough for a debate to take down someone who is leading. But if Desantis or anyone is scuffling leading up to a debate, a kill shot can be landed.  

Trump will make sure everybody knows that DeSantis is short.  He’s not Putin-short, but he’s short.

• Like 1

What is interesting to me is based on that poll where Desantis is at 42% and Trump at 35%, what happens if Desantis wins the primary?  Do the 35% MAGA's go out and vote for Desantis or do they stay home.  Staying home would be disastrous for the Republicans (hate to see it). 

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump will make sure everybody knows that DeSantis is short.  He’s not Putin-short, but he’s short.

I’d say that Trump should use the term “homunculus” to describe DeSantis but neither Trump nor his supporters know what that word means. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

What is interesting to me is based on that poll where Desantis is at 42% and Trump at 35%, what happens if Desantis wins the primary?  Do the 35% MAGA's go out and vote for Desantis or do they stay home.  Staying home would be disastrous for the Republicans (hate to see it). 

Some will, some won't. Won't hit Trump's numbers in the general but I could see him outperforming Romney but not flipping any Biden 2020 states. Not even Georgia.

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Some will, some won't. Won't hit Trump's numbers in the general but I could see him outperforming Romney but not flipping any Biden 2020 states. Not even Georgia.

Can the Republican party afford to lose X million number of MAGA votes next election cycle?  I don't think so with how close many states are.