The Republican Civil War - it will be because we destroyed ourselves

tx 3 putt

3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

The thing is the democrats are very much to blame for the republicans having this much power. At any time the democrats have the ability to gerrymander their states the way republicans have, and given how even the way it is it's very close if they did that the republicans would never have the house again. That would force them to beg for the bargaining table to negotiate a federal law ending the practice, and that's where the democrats could make demands such as ratifying abortion rights into the Constitution. 

Re-districting and gerrymandering only occurs after the census though right?  Dems haven't been in charge during the last two census years (or the year after I guess).

Edited by Biff Tannen
were they? wait wut? I guess 2020/2021?

So, does the speaker have to get a majority of the votes to be speaker? What if enough R crazies vote for someone besides McCarthy, and every dem votes for Pelosi? Since Pelosi got more votes, does she remain speaker?

Or is just whichever person gets the most votes from reps in the party that controls the house?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

So, does the speaker have to get a majority of the votes to be speaker? What if enough R crazies vote for someone besides McCarthy, and every dem votes for Pelosi? Since Pelosi got more votes, does she remain speaker?

Or is just whichever person gets the most votes from reps in the party that controls the house?

it's a simple majority of those present.

so if enough GOP members boycott and just not show up then yes it could happen. but that won't happen. if the GOP has the majority the speaker will be from the majority party. 

that's why all the deals are being cut right now is to get everyone in line behind McCarthy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Each "Caucus" puts forward its candidate.  They can put forth more than one, but that's almost never been done since reconstruction.  They can even put forth a candidate who does not hold a House seat (like Colin Powell).  A simple 218 votes wins, but if there are only plurality winners, another roll is called and they winnow it back down to 2 and you see the more traditional vote-casting done right along party lines (although there have been defects as recently as this century).  

What looks like may happen is a more than a handful of GOP Reps. vote for somebody not Pelosi or McCarthy so Kevin stalls out around 200.  At this point, concessions are made very fast with those break-away voters to get in line for McCarthy and he wins a 220-215 type of vote or whatever the margin is gonna be soon.  The wildcard which could actually happen though is Pelosi accepts her fate but throws all Democrat voters behind either McCarthy or his next closest challenger to keep some modicum of power.  I think we may see this happen with McCarthy needing some Democrats to vote for him on the second ballot, question is what will he offer in return?  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

But that's just it, you could fit both their faces on just one of their giant heads.  What would you do with the other blank head then?  Do you make it available to 2 or 3 people on the waitlist for a head transplant?  Do you keep it as a backup to control the tides in case our moon does really fall apart like in that movie? 

Or do we use their tiny faces/giant heads to make the sequel to the Cage/Travolta, I'd see that movie all day.  

I'm glad we're talking about this kinda shit and a pending GOP internal war instead of what we were talking about exactly one week ago which was gloom 'n dooom.

22 minutes ago, C-Man said:

If it at first you don’t succeed, cheat, cheat, cheat!

Actually, reading that and the sane posts that followed (you have to hunt for them), they are simply arguing that in states that allow people to deliver ballots, vote early, etc., the Repubs ought to get in on that action.  Which I have no problem with -- those are the rules of the game, and they aren't illegal.  I wish EVERYONE could vote early, vote by mail, etc.  I want those things to be accessible to ALL Americans.  It's not cheating, it's a functioning election system.  So, while I understand that today's Repubs would think that "functioning democracy" = "cheating," it's not.  

Now, the challenge for the GQP is that they actually have to find enough voters willing to actually CAST ballots in their favor, which is getting to be a challenge, because the GQP fucking sucks and lots of people hate them.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Actually, reading that and the sane posts that followed (you have to hunt for them), they are simply arguing that in states that allow people to deliver ballots, vote early, etc., the Repubs ought to get in on that action.  Which I have no problem with -- those are the rules of the game, and they aren't illegal.  I wish EVERYONE could vote early, vote by mail, etc.  I want those things to be accessible to ALL Americans.  It's not cheating, it's a functioning election system.  So, while I understand that today's Repubs would think that "functioning democracy" = "cheating," it's not.  

Now, the challenge for the GQP is that they actually have to find enough voters willing to actually CAST ballots in their favor, which is getting to be a challenge, because the GQP fucking sucks and lots of people hate them.

Oops. I didn't follow that then. My bad.

43 minutes ago, C-Man said:

If it at first you don’t succeed, cheat, cheat, cheat!

Ironically, the GOP built their entire midterm strategy around early and mail in votes for 20 years, and it was very successful. Then one guy who doesn’t know anything about elections had a temper tantrum after the 2020 election, and they convinced their snowbirds, elderly, and busy professionals that their vote didn’t matter. 

you hate to see it, but more than that…

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Ironically, the GOP built their entire midterm strategy around early and mail in votes for 20 years, and it was very successful. Then one guy who doesn’t know anything about elections had a temper tantrum after the 2020 election, and they convinced their snowbirds, elderly, and busy professionals that their vote didn’t matter. 

you hate to see it, but more than that…

This.  The thing is, all of the "controversy" around early voting and mail-in votes is ENTIRELY a creature of that fucking lunatic.  Before him, both parties generally agreed that these were good things.  But then, not because there was any cheating or any voting irregularity, but SOLELY because people who fucking hated him actually voted, he wants to "stop the voting!  Stop the counting!  It's cheating!" 

So, now the mindless, cultish MAGA base thinks that, functionally, voting in any way that's easier than having to crawl across broken glass and losing an entire day of work to wait to vote on election day is "cheating," and can't be trusted.  So, they opt out of it....and many of them don't show up on election day, because it's harder and shit gets in the way.

Based on Trump, and Trump alone, the GQP shot itself right in its "GOTV" dick.  It's fucking glorious.

On 11/8/2022 at 4:22 PM, tx 3 putt said:

hopefully these dumb mother fuckers eat each other alive. make no doubt about it, it's going to either be the MAGA Q Republican Party or no party at all. 

Hey, Josh, nothing to worry about.  Schumer's your guy.  Again.

• Hook 'Em 1

Trump literally told the entire worldl last week that on 15 November, he would announce his candidacy for 2024.  

So then a bunch of pollster firms just charged a lot of people a lot of money to conduct a poll that is half "If Trump does not run."  

So now the polling of the grifted about the grifters is itself grifting those that want to know about the grifted and the grifters?  

I understand the spirit of the second data set, but they could have waited a few days.  Now in a few months, if anybody with a few hundred grand to rub together wants to really fuck with Trump, just keep releasing polls every couple weeks with these bizarre hypotheticals about Trump and the rest of the field.  Not some legit polling service that needs to stay legit, but just start one for the next 18 months with some name like "Watchdog Analytics Pollsters" or whatever.  And just get some left-wing PAC to throw $1mm at it just to watch Trump get asked about it on the campaign trail, "Mr. Trump, W.A.P.'s latest poll asked 5000 likely Republican voters who they favor in 2024 if you are on the ballot but are legally indicted, DeSantis beats you head-to-head 61-33...thoughts?"  "Mr. Trump, a follow-up...W.A.P's next poll was to same voter base and if you are mentally incapacitated or suffer a stroke, DeSantis goes up 64-31, care to comment?"  "Finally sir, their final poll in the field right now asks if you're on the ballot but it's been discovered you were on Epstein's island and are only worth about $300mm, DeSantis climbs 70-19...how do you feel about that?"  Throws him way more off his game than asking about January 6th or Russia.

9 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

What time is the announcement?  Do we have to watch on Fox News?

Same question. I find it intriguing that, as of the same morning of the bigly announcement, the word "Trump" is barely anywhere to be found on the FoxNews.com front page and only passively

44 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Same question. I find it intriguing that, as of the same morning of the bigly announcement, the word "Trump" is barely anywhere to be found on the FoxNews.com front page and only passively

I checked Fox News as well and they’ve moved on from Hunter Biden to Paul Pelosi.  He must also have an 8-9 inch dick.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Re-districting and gerrymandering only occurs after the census though right?  Dems haven't been in charge during the last two census years (or the year after I guess).

It does, and because of the pandemic the census info just released within tbe last few months. 

Each state has it's own state legislatures draw up the districts. That's how Texas and many other republican states gerrymander the shit out of it and get away with it. 

As far as I can tell Illinois is one of the few democrat states that does it. If the others used this opportunity, especially California and New York, they could dominate the house and force republicans to cry about it and have to negotiate to get gerrymandering federally banned. 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, The Dog said:

vote was 188-31 (from the replies). the vote was among the "presumed" gop representatives and includes those who have not yet confirmed election. 

McCarthy will get the speakership because the alternative will be Pelosi.

ANDY BIGGS?  Lulz.  McCarthy looks like a moderate genius relative to Andy Biggs.

48 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

The fact she was a candidate weak enough to be hobbled by that is fair game for criticism directed at her. All the baggage was pre-existing and a known liability.

the fact that you're parroting this bullshit 6 years later tells me you're not out from under the thumb of right-wing propaganda. 

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

the fact that you're parroting this bullshit 6 years later tells me you're not out from under the thumb of right-wing propaganda. 

I'm not saying it's fair, but it's clear as day. People did not, and do not, like Hillary Clinton.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I'm not saying it's fair, but it's clear as day. People did not, and do not, like Hillary Clinton.

I think it’s clear that you don’t like her. I think she would’ve made a good President, definitely better than Trump (and there would’ve been hundreds of thousands fewer American Covid deaths had she been in charge). Based on the votes cast, more people liked Hillary than either Bernie or Trump.

Its really weird. I’ve never seen any other candidate get blamed so harshly for losing an election.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I think it’s clear that you don’t like her. I think she would’ve made a good President, definitely better than Trump (and there would’ve been hundreds of thousands fewer American Covid deaths had she been in charge). Based on the votes cast, more people liked Hillary than either Bernie or Trump.

Its really weird. I’ve never seen any other candidate get blamed so harshly for losing an election.

It's no mystery a lot of people dislike Hillary Clinton. I don't like Hillary Clinton. I respect her, but certainly don't like her. Would I prefer her to Donald fucking Trump? Well, yeah obviously.  But that is a different question.

• Hook 'Em 1