George and Tammy (Jessica Chastain, Michael Shannon, Showtime & Paramount, Dec. 4, TV Series)

atomheartbevo

Starring Oscar winner Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye) and Oscar nominee Michael Shannon (Bullet Train), GEORGE & TAMMY chronicles the country music power couple, Tammy Wynette and George Jones, whose complicated-but-enduring relationship inspired some of the most iconic music of all time.

Remembered as the “First Lady of Country Music,” Wynette’s most successful song “Stand by Your Man” remains one of the most iconic and best-selling country singles by a female artist. Known for his once-in-a-lifetime voice, George Jones’ song “He Stopped Loving Her Today,” is still widely called the greatest country song of all time.

With over 30 number-one country songs between them, including duets “We’re Gonna Hold On,” “Golden Ring” and “Near You,” George and Tammy’s legacy, both musically and romantically, remains one of the greatest love stories ever told. The series is created by Abe Sylvia (The Eyes of Tammy Faye, Nurse Jackie), directed by John Hillcoat (The Road). The premiere episode of GEORGE & TAMMY will debut simultaneously on SHOWTIME and on the Paramount Network behind Yellowstone commercial free on Sunday, December 4 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, veritas aequitas said:

I just want to see any movie or tv show he is in.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Michael Shannon is the kinda guy you just wanna see succeed.

Yep.  Damned happy this is getting made - while I love Johnny Cash, it felt like he and June sucked up a lot of oxygen when it came to docudramas and the like.  Then again, George and Tammy's lives/relationships are a helluva lot messier and probably made a lot of people uncomfortable in terms of making a series out of them, at least years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

In 1980 I lived in Memphis, working in a warehouse before my senior year. Every morning I passed a honky tonk called the Wagon Wheel. George was cma country artist of the year but he was asleep in the Lincoln parked on the side, playing for tips while he was no showing all over. a buddy of mine was a C&w DJ and he went and talked to him and drove him back to Nashville.

• Like 1

I think she has been really good. Michael Shannon is a great actor but I’m not feeling it …. Maybe it’s the singing that’s throwing me off. Hard to even emulate Jones.

Same here.

I love Shannon, but he seems miscast. George himself said that he got the possum nickname because of his beady little eyes and upturned nose.

Now who does that sound like?

f72eb8d7d27db246adccdec2ae38e455.jpg

I don’t know if he could carry the role either, but he definitely looks the part.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I met George Jones in the Spring of 1980 when I was a Freshman at UT and a bartender at the Silver Dollar South. He had just released He Stopped Loving Her Today.

My boss was the same boss I had in SA before heading to Austin. He hired me on the spot when he saw me at the SDS one night. He was a former APD officer who had referred me to the worst job in Austin, Longhorn Security (I have stories). He felt guilty, I guess.

Anyway, my bar was next to the stage. It was the least busy bar in the place, but I got to meet performers like John Anderson and Dottie West. My boss had one demand of me that night… don’t let George get too drunk to perform. There had been a previous incident at one of the Silver Dollars, and he didn’t want a repeat  

George hit the bar between sets. I poured him a whiskey and did the only thing I could think of, which was try to talk to him like I wasn’t a fanboy. It must’ve worked, because he didn’t ask for another drink. He did open up about how life on the road wasn’t glamorous, and how it made married life difficult (he and Tammy had divorced, and he hadn’t remarried yet). He told me that there were times he wished he had a normal life like mine would be. He didn’t cry, fortunately, because my boss would’ve been even more pissed if George couldn’t come back out because he was a blubbering mess.

After his second set, he came back to my bar and invited me to go to Sambo’s in Sunset Valley (now Hyde Park Bar & Grill on Westgate) with him and the band. My boss said I could leave, but I’d have to find someone to close my bar and reconcile my register. Of course, none of the other bartenders were going to lift a finger for the snot-nosed 19-year old new guy. Still pisses me off, even though I probably would’ve done the same thing. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Player said:

Same here.

I love Shannon, but he seems miscast. George himself said that he got the possum nickname because of his beady little eyes and upturned nose.

Now who does that sound like?

f72eb8d7d27db246adccdec2ae38e455.jpg

I don’t know if he could carry the role either, but he definitely looks the part.

It may be perceived as too gimmicky, but if you’re looking for an actor who looks like Jones, especially in the eyes… 

01B38FFA-3378-4B0B-A0B3-428AE3F88470.thumb.jpeg.f65e0b77579871015bddb03c6b839302.jpeg

Carrey has the chops, but you’d probably always be thinking, “that’s Jim Carrey” and not able to allow yourself to get lost in the performance. That happened somewhat for me with the Kaufman movie. But I remember the first time I saw an older photo of Jones and thought, holy shit, he looked just like Jim Carrey. I was pleased to find others on the web agreed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1