Movies that dramatically switch halfway through

zman13

22 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Tombstone.  The tonal and cinematography shift after the Earps  leave town is very profound. And it wasn’t just the firing of the director. The vast bulk of the movie wasn’t shot at that point.  

This is a good catch, one of those things I always noticed but never thought too deeply about.

43 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I wouldn’t say Tombstone switches genres though. It’s still a pretty traditional western all the way through. Definitely a fave of mine.

Their both westerns, just two very different westerns.  One is very intimate, character driven, almost claustrophobic.  The other very sweeping and open.  It's like the first half is Pale Rider and the second half is a bit Dances with Wolves.  It's very different from say, Unforgiven, which always feels like the same movie, regardless of character or setting.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/9/2022 at 12:37 PM, zman13 said:

First up...From Dusk Til Dawn.

First half of the movie is a roadtrip with a kidnapping. Tense and creepy.

Second half is balls out vampires and gore and killings. 

First movie that came to mind.  It's been forever, but I remember loving the first half and wanting to quit on the second.

The original Superman with Christopher Reeve was three movies.

His trip to earth and growing up was a fuzzy, reverent show.

His life in Metropolis with Lois Lane was an early super hero sitcom, complete with bad puns. 

After Luthor fires his missiles, it's like one of the later Japanese Godzilla movies, with miniature sets and physically impossible action sequences (I mean beyond the impossibility of a man with super strength flying. Even if he could do all that stuff, the things he did wouldn't have worked even in the physics of the created world.) 

I don't know what the hell that "flying with Lois" sequence was about. 

On 11/30/2022 at 4:00 AM, Richard Kimball said:

The original Superman with Christopher Reeve was three movies.

His trip to earth and growing up was a fuzzy, reverent show.

His life in Metropolis with Lois Lane was an early super hero sitcom, complete with bad puns. 

After Luthor fires his missiles, it's like one of the later Japanese Godzilla movies, with miniature sets and physically impossible action sequences (I mean beyond the impossibility of a man with super strength flying. Even if he could do all that stuff, the things he did wouldn't have worked even in the physics of the created world.) 

I don't know what the hell that "flying with Lois" sequence was about. 

You don't think you can turn back time by reversing the earth's rotation?

On 12/8/2022 at 11:51 AM, MissingInAction said:

"Mother" belongs on this list. What in the actual fuck?!

Goodfellas is a great example. Goes from mob flick to drug dealer flick.

Hmmm is it really a shift to a "different movie" like some of the other examples?

Seems to me it's a mob flick through and through, it's just that there is a tonal shift starting with the Billy Batts hit and then a downward spiral from there, culminating with the coke-fueled gun-selling, sauce stirring, helicopter spying day in May 1980.

I think the same thing about Boogie Nights, which obviously borrowed heavily from Goodfellas.... there's a tonal shift when Little Bill kills himself at the NYE 1980 party, but it still feels like the same movie through and through. 

i'm going to swing in from the rafters on this one but i am going to nominate national lampoon's christmas vacation.

my premise is that prior to the eddie showing up, clark is a goofball fuckup who does non-stop stupid shit and engages in physical destruction comedy.

after eddie shows up, he's pretty much a normal, every-man who is annoyed with his useless fuckup in-laws but finally snaps when louis burns down the living room.

• Hook 'Em 1