Big 12 Basketball '22-'23 (fuck Baylor)

ztejas

Didn't see a thread - I know we usually have one. Helps clean the general college thread up a bit. 

OU of course lost to... SHSU? I believe?

TCU almost lost to Arkansas Pine Bluff. 

Baylor beat some college for disabled women by 3,000 points. 

Spicy start. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Didn't realize or forgot this was where Jerry Rice went but holy shit this was their team last season. 

Screenshot_20221109-135318_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3007d0413be6d7216ec2fa65a2505552.jpg

I remember them being last or close to it in kenmpom and discussing it last season. 

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Didn't see a thread - I know we usually have one. Helps clean the general college thread up a bit. 

OU of course lost to... SHSU? I believe?

TCU almost lost to Arkansas Pine Bluff. 

Spicy start. 

Texas has Arkansas Pine Bluff on the schedule as well. 

I think West Virginia has 15 scholarship type players on their roster this year as Huggins uses NIL to finagle scholarship limits a bit, including a player who transferred away and then transferred back, and an extremely late enrollee who switched because his coach was fired. I feel like we’re going to see Thuggins ball in peak form this year. 

Texas Tech’s #1 transfer, Fardaws Aimac, won’t be available until February due to a foot injury. 

Bill Self has to sit out the first 4 games as part of a self imposed penalty by KU stemming from the FBI arrests 5 years ago in the undercover Adidas probe. He can’t be in contact with his teams for a 24hr period starting at 12am on game day. Norm Roberts was the coach for opening night, and will be the coach against Duke in the third game of the season. 

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Lol. Lots of hate for KU around here. I like them. I like Bill Self as a coach, too. Always have.

I get it.  They are a true bluebood.  I just happen to think that Bill Self is the scum of basketball coaching off the floor. In game, he's as good as they get. I have always hated that the conference championship is 30 minutes from their campus.  I know why it is like that, but I don't have to like it.  Anyway, KU has had a list of players over the years that are so easy to despise (Morris brothers, Chalmers, boshee)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Lol. Lots of hate for KU around here. I like them. I like Bill Self as a coach, too. Always have. 

Years ago I was highly annoyed with your lack of hate when I'd post on Phog,net back in the day when it was still a fully functioning message board 20+ years ago. My 20something year old self couldn't understand why this SL guy was acting so friendly with them while I tried to get my hate on. Fortunately, I've grown up a bit since then so I don't hold it against you anymore. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delta Charlie said:

I get it.  They are a true bluebood.  I just happen to think that Bill Self is the scum of basketball coaching off the floor. In game, he's as good as they get. I have always hated that the conference championship is 30 minutes from their campus.  I know why it is like that, but I don't have to like it.  Anyway, KU has had a list of players over the years that are so easy to despise (Morris brothers, Chalmers, boshee)

Hey, you don't have to explain anything to me. I appreciate you doing so, but you can hate KU because you despise the color blue, or because Kansas is a state has no trees. I'm not here to judge. 

At one point I used to defend Texas as being as pure as the driven snow when it came to cheating in basketball, and then I figured out that every school with any kind of national aspirations cheated, otherwise they didn't get the players. That's just how it worked. So there's a good chance that things that bother you about the KU program don't bother me because I associate them with every basketball program in the country, including Texas. Calling Bill Self the scum of basketball off the floor seems quaint to me. I did (and do) think that about Calipari, and prior to NIL I felt similarly about Scott Drew, but Bill Self I just put on a pile with every other top 20 coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Years ago I was highly annoyed with your lack of hate when I'd post on Phog,net back in the day when it was still a fully functioning message board 20+ years ago. My 20something year old self couldn't understand why this SL guy was acting so friendly with them while I tried to get my hate on. Fortunately, I've grown up a bit since then so I don't hold it against you anymore. 

I tend to act like a more constrained version of myself on boards not UT. I don't get any entertainment value from going on opposing boards to attack the fan base. Other people can do it, but it tends not to be my thing. The thing I always liked about the KU board is that their fans are passionate about college basketball, and so there tends to be more activity there than on most message boards. I also like how snobby they are, because I'm that way about UT. I relate to how they feel about Missouri and Kansas State, and how they're God's gift to basketball, because I think that way about UT regarding...well...everything. 

Then they mix in this weird flyover state insecurity which throws me off. But that's their thing. Not exactly something your average Texan ever feels. 

I've always been a Bill Self fan from his days at Tulsa. I love the way he coaches and how his teams play. I liked him at Illinois, too. I always found Roy Williams' teams too soft for my liking, and his fake homespun hokiness always grated on my nerves. I found the Jayhawks much easier to follow and like when Self became the head coach over Williams. I wouldn't say I'm a fan. Last year's title didn't mean anything to me, for example. Mostly I just want what gives the most entertainment value. And to that end the national title has served my purposes just fine, especially when I had been calling out multiple KU fans for grousing - loudly, and in many different threads and various takes - about Bill Self since the loss to USC in the tournament. That part felt very satisfying. 

I do miss the back and forth between Missouri and KU when Missouri was at least decent. I love a good hate filled rivalry, and that one was about as no holds barred as it gets. But they not only no longer play any more, but Missouri is irrelevant and their message boards are pretty much dead compared to what they used to be. The Kansas State one has never really compared. 

And of course the best and busiest school internet forums became premium silos.

c'est la vie.

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Bill Self has to sit out the first 4 games as part of a self imposed penalty by KU stemming from the FBI arrests 5 years ago in the undercover Adidas probe. He can’t be in contact with his teams for a 24hr period starting at 12am on game day. Norm Roberts was the coach for opening night, and will be the coach against Duke in the third game of the season.

Such punishment.  Much wow. 

Fucking pathetic 

• Like 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Such punishment.  Much wow. 

Fucking pathetic 

Did you expect something more? It's worse than Louisville is getting. 

I had such high hopes when the news broke about the FBI nailing the shoe representatives paying players to go to their favored university with a preferred shoe sponsorship. To watch it all drizzle away like tears in the rain has been possibly the most disappointing thing that's ever happened to me as a college basketball fan. I thought the FBI was going to blow the lid off the Nike/Adidas AAU ring. Ha! I gave up hope of any serious punishments long ago. Not only that, but the Nike basketball powers have gone completely unscathed. Then you have OSU get hammered with a post season ban. It's all hilarious to me at this point.

It shapes a lot of my views on the enforcement of NIL. All the people who come up with all these "solutions" for whatever ills they perceive NIL as representing, but none of them adequately address who would enforce whatever rules they come up with as message board/twitter warriors. There's no one who is going to enforce anything, is what it comes down to. I'm just so happy Texas has stepped up the way they have in NIL for basketball. That's the only solution as far as I'm concerned. 

8 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Considering the punishment Oklahoma St suffered last season I'd say, yeah I was expecting more. 

I just feel like it's the standard, "Oh, we caught Alabama cheating again. Time to put New Mexico State on probation," type of thing. Typical NCAA hand down the harsh punishment to the little guy and then slack off on the big names.

Also, time and time again, the moral of the story isn't to do no wrong. The moral of the story is to fight the NCAA tooth and nail every step of the way. The only time they have a leg to stand on regarding their punishments is when the school admits the violations themselves. I figured that out back in 1984 when Jim Wacker turned in his TCU program for things that were set in motion under F.A. Dry and they got HAMMERED for it. Since then it's been repeated over and over again. Don't cooperate. That should be the rule for every athletic department. 

• Rage+1 1

He looks like a one and done spectacular freshman, to me. 

shadow_operative was really singing his praises during the recruiting process so I went back and watched some tape on him. I became a believer.

Watching the KU fans go from, “OMG we’re doomed we have no shooters!” to “OMG I love Dick so much!” has been somewhat hilarious to me.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Okie State loses to Southern Illinois

The 12 might be a bit top heavy this year

OSU lost to Oakland around the same time under similar circumstances. Southern Illinois shouldn't have as good a team this year as Oakland had last year...but it's not THAT much better. 

I'm not saying you're wrong. Just that it feels like the jury is still out. 

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Tech in a battle with LT, but they are pulling ahead. 

TCU tied with Nawfwestern State (southland school) with 3 min to go

Yeah we are turning the ball over a lot right now. LT's head coach is intimately familiar with our program. NCAA tourney team that returned 10 guys, could have been a big time trap game. Good game for our young guards to learn how to take care of the ball better.

TCU is without their two best player I think

e: TCU loses

Edited by Brian Fantana

10 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

No Baugh or Miles but still shouldn't lose that game.

I still think TCU will be good in March if healthy. They improved a lot of over the course of last season.

Maybe. I'm thinking they're pretty overrated. Dixon is an average coach at this point in his career and trying to win at a program with zero history or tradition.  They got hot at the right time last season and probably should have beaten Zona. I wouldn't be surprised if they were a bubble team and got bounced in the first round. 

i don't know a ton about all of the high profile freshmen around the country, but i have a hard time imagining that another conference could field a starting five that would be better than the five best freshmen in the big xii. 

K George

A Morris

G Dick

D Mitchell

and then whoever the next best guy ends up being 

big xii got more freshman talent than the Texas ZTA's.

Texas Tech versus Creighton in Maui Invitational, Mark Adams being a wizard. Tech has turned over Creighton 12 times in the first half in a 31-31 game. Creighton's 7'1 center Kalkbrenner went to the locker room shortly before the half to check out his ankle. Stepped on a Tech player's foot coming down from a block attempt. Hopefully it's not serious.