Big 12 Basketball '22-'23 (fuck Baylor)

ztejas

If fans know the refs' names, that's bad for the sport. 

He’s the only name I know—promise. I first noticed him more than a decade ago in a game at FEC and thought, “wow, he really inserts himself in the game to an absurd degree.” My negative confirmation bias has collected about a billion pieces of evidence to support that impression.

He actually was decent on Saturday save this one.

18 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Tech plays at Iowa State tomorrow and in Austin on Saturday.

They are potentially staring 0-5 in the face.

I'm terrified about tonight's game.  ISU has struggled this year when the opponent comes into the game without key contributors.  Not sure if we take teams lightly in that scenario or what.  Iowa just fucking waxed us w/out Kris Murray, for example.  And last year Tech rolled into Ames down 3 of their top 8 and we were lucky to survive.

I also think we're just kind of due for a loss after going +2 in the Tim Floyd standings last week.  Tech is banged up currently but they still get after your ass and Obanor is still on the court.

Hope I'm wrong, but it feels like we shit the bed about 15% of the time in the Otz era (and I'm not complaining because the overall product has wildly exceeded expectations) and we're due for a bed shitting.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

11 hours ago, harpercollins said:

He’s the only name I know—promise. I first noticed him more than a decade ago in a game at FEC and thought, “wow, he really inserts himself in the game to an absurd degree.” My negative confirmation bias has collected about a billion pieces of evidence to support that impression.

He actually was decent on Saturday save this one.

He absolutely does and has for years.  Fuckin' Hollywood Higgins and his "I'm 50 but still have blonde highlights" bullshit.

18 hours ago, 'stache said:

Gonna be a lot of close games this season, and I expect OSU will lose a bunch of them. Talent is there, coaching seems good enough, but missing a real leader and consistent star player. I bet 7-8 teams make the tourney, I doubt we'll make the cut. I like Boynton a lot but I'm not sure he makes it past this season unless we end up at least in the top half of the conference.

That win at the Phog that the refs stole from y'all may cost him his job.

12 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm terrified about tonight's game.

Joke's on you.  Turns out Tech is playing the worst basketball anyone can recall for a longass time.  2nd game in a row.  Disgusting.

Sorry for the showing at Hilton.  Y'all deserve better.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

KU shot 31 FTs in the 2nd half. Hahaha. KU not losing a conference home game with that type of officiating. They really should have lost to both OSU and OU without being protected by the referees. 

and Tech on the road. 

KU shot 31 FTs in the 2nd half. Hahaha. KU not losing a conference home game with that type of officiating. They really should have lost to both OSU and OU without being protected by the referees. 

It’s the refs fault OU completely shit the bed in the last few minutes and blew a 10 point lead? Not defending KU or the refs but OU shriveled up big time - that was an easily winnable game for them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm predicting we have a double digit lead late on KU (like 3 minutes left to go or so) and then every call suddenly starts going KU's away and they win by 2.

Ridiculous that what should be the best game in league play thus far will be on ESPN+.  But they know us and KU fans will buy the damn subscription.

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

OU has three point shot themselves out of multiple wins.   They love to shoot the three at crunch time while the other team goes to the basket.  It reminds me of a lot of Shaka’s losses.  

Everyone keeps talking about how great of a coach Porter Moser is and 2 years into his tenure I am waiting to see any signs that is actually true.

Don’t mean to be Mr. Obvious but missing the tournament in back to back years is not good.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Everyone keeps talking about how great of a coach Porter Moser is and 2 years into his tenure I am waiting to see any signs that is actually true.

Don’t mean to be Mr. Obvious but missing the tournament in back to back years is not good.

The defensive plan was to run KU off the 3 point line (which to be fair worked they were just 4-11) and not allow easy baskets or transition and make KU finish through contact.

I suppose muddying it up when you're less talented then, when the opponent is in the double bonus the last 45 minutes b/c you schemed to play that way, shrugging your shoulders and blaming the officials won't get you fired...but it's not exactly brilliant coaching.

I just hope if they're going to call it tight in our game against KU, they call it tight from tip-off and don't swallow whistles for 35 minutes only to start calling guys for breathing on each other down the stretch.

Last night, the refs completely swallowed their whistles and let ISU and Tech physically beat on each other.  It was this way last year when the really physical squads (TTU, ISU, and WVU in particular) would play each other.  At least you know what you're getting and the tone for the night was set immediately.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

I just hope if they're going to call it tight in our game against KU, they call it tight from tip-off and don't swallow whistles for 35 minutes only to start calling guys for breathing on each other down the stretch.

First half in Lawrence was damn physical. Then they started calling everything soft on OU in the 2nd half. 

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I fear.  I don't care if you call it loose or you call it tight, but just call it the same for 40 minutes.

I just would like to take a moment to commend Al_4_ISU on the proper use of the word "loose" in this situation.

It's a rare thing to see in this day and age.  I thank you for restoring my grammatical faith in humanity.

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I just would like to take a moment to commend Al_4_ISU on the proper use of the word "loose" in this situation.

It's a rare thing to see in this day and age.  I thank you for restoring my grammatical faith in humanity.

ISU was an AAU school in my day.  Gotta put that shit to use.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

OU has three point shot themselves out of multiple wins.   They love to shoot the three at crunch time while the other team goes to the basket.  It reminds me of a lot of Shaka’s losses.  

TRIGGERED

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I was bagging him last year and a lot of people defended him. 

It really isn't difficult to win at OU. Or at least run a competent program. He may be a good coach but their roster fucking blows and that's at least half the battle. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Weekend schedule:

WV @ OU - 11am Sat ESPN2
KSU @ TCU - 1pm Sat ESPN2
ISU @ KU (the highlight) - 3pm Sat ESPN+/Big 12 Now
OSU @ Baylor - 5pm Sat ESPN2
Texas Tech @ Texas - 7pm Sat ESPN

Those fuckers have been putting this game on ESPN+ for the last 3 years because they know if there are two fanbases that are going to do whatever it takes to watch, it's those 2.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Those fuckers have been putting this game on ESPN+ for the last 3 years because they know if there are two fanbases that are going to do whatever it takes to watch, it's those 2.

To be 100% frank, if you are a Big 12 school fan and don’t have ESPN+ by now, that’s on you. The conference pushes at least 1 of all the non-Texas/OU school’s BB games to ESPN+, plus football too (except Texas games go to LHN). It’s been part of the TV deal since like 2019. It’s only for another couple years. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2