Big 12 Basketball '22-'23 (fuck Baylor)

ztejas

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

To be 100% frank, if you are a Big 12 school fan and don’t have ESPN+ by now, that’s on you. The conference pushes at least 1 of all the non-Texas/OU school’s BB games to ESPN+, plus football too (except Texas games go to LHN). It’s been part of the TV deal since like 2019. It’s only for another couple years. 

I have ESPN+ and will not miss this game.

It's just a shame that it won't catch drive by randoms.

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I forgot Tre Mitchell is at WV now. I’m sure that’s going well. I’m sure his handler is already looking for another school. 

Looks like he's having a decent season scoring the rock. His block numbers are astonishingly low for someone his size which tells me he isn't playing defense. 

On 1/12/2023 at 3:47 PM, Js1 said:

To be 100% frank, if you are a Big 12 school fan and don’t have ESPN+ by now, that’s on you. The conference pushes at least 1 of all the non-Texas/OU school’s BB games to ESPN+, plus football too (except Texas games go to LHN). It’s been part of the TV deal since like 2019. It’s only for another couple years. 

How does the best Big 12 game end up on ESPN+?

I get moving some games to ESPN+ as part of the overall conference package, but it shouldn’t be the best game of the day between two top 20 squads.

3 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

I get moving some games to ESPN+ as part of the overall conference package, but it shouldn’t be the best game of the day between two top 20 squads.

Don’t games that go on what networks get decided before the season even starts? Guessing ESPN figured ISU would suck this year and they don’t flex games onto TV, which would push someone who was promised ESPN/2 over to ESPN+ instead. They only “flex” moving between ESPN TV channels 

Edit: This was decided in September: https://big12sports.com/news/2022/9/22/big-12-reveals-2022-23-mens-basketball-conference-schedule.aspx

Edited by Js1

Just now, Js1 said:

Don’t games that go on what networks get decided before the season even starts? Guessing ESPN figured ISU would suck this year and they don’t flex games onto TV, which would push someone who was promised ESPN/2 over to ESPN+ instead 

That’s the only thing that makes sense but a flex system would definitely be an improvement.

1 minute ago, hornmpa96 said:

That’s the only thing that makes sense but a flex system would definitely be an improvement.

They’ll flex already scheduled teams between ESPN and ESPN2, but they don’t flex someone who wasn’t already scheduled to be on TV 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

@Brian Fantana @Uncle Nate what’s the tech injury situation for today? I know y’all were short handed earlier this week against ISU. 

Shame if you’re still banged up in Austin today 😉

Dunno tbh, I imagine Batcho will play but he's probably still at like 50%.

Y'all are probably gonna boat race us, burner year for us lol

3 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

Games are decided before the season starts. No one expected Iowa state to be this good so when then moved certain games to ESPN+ they didn’t know at the time it would be a top 20 matchup.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

Awful last possession, hell of an effort.  We’ll get ‘em in Hilton

That stretch with about 6 min to go where you turned it over 4/5 trips was probably what lost the game. 4 empty possessions in a close loss 

Just stopped by to say Fuck Kansas. 

They were down big to OSU at home, down 10 with 5 to go to OU, and now this ISU close call...again, all at home.  I thought they definitely had some ref help vs the okie schools but today was just some bad execution in the end.  God's Gift.  Fuck them.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, harpercollins said:

I’m at okstate at Baylor—lights went out during a keonte George free throw. whole stadium went dark. We’re on a fifteen minute delay and they’re unsuccessfully trying to make everyone stay in their seats.

Oh darn I was hoping a huge sink hole opened up and swallowed the Ferrell Center 

• Haha 1

Watched a longish highlight reel of the game, seemed like a great game great atmosphere. Seems like Batcho is still kind of useless post illness. Dude lost 20 pounds and like 50% of his step, I wonder if he'll be right again all year. Seems like Fardaws Aimaq played pretty well considering 2 days ago was his first practice in 5 months. Would have been nice to have had him playing with a healthy team before mid-January. Pop Isaacs is a G, dude can really shoot, I hope we can hang onto him.

Y'all have to be happy your team still has a good amount of fight post-Beard. Some vintage Timmy Allen grit in that game. I continue to wonder why Sir'Jabari Rice doesn't start for y'all. He's the kind of player any coach would love to have. Kind of reminds me of Adonis Arms from our team last year, different style of player but just a winner coming off the bench making plays.

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Watched a longish highlight reel of the game, seemed like a great game great atmosphere. Seems like Batcho is still kind of useless post illness. Dude lost 20 pounds and like 50% of his step, I wonder if he'll be right again all year. Seems like Fardaws Aimaq played pretty well considering 2 days ago was his first practice in 5 months. Would have been nice to have had him playing with a healthy team before mid-January. Pop Isaacs is a G, dude can really shoot, I hope we can hang onto him.

Y'all have to be happy your team still has a good amount of fight post-Beard. Some vintage Timmy Allen grit in that game. I continue to wonder why Sir'Jabari Rice doesn't start for y'all. He's the kind of player any coach would love to have. Kind of reminds me of Adonis Arms from our team last year, different style of player but just a winner coming off the bench making plays.

Budget Trae Young is a fuckhead and I never want to see him again. 

• Haha 2

On 1/11/2023 at 11:28 PM, ClubWhatever said:

Is it time for Huggins to retire?  Last season was awful and this season looking not so great. 

On 1/12/2023 at 5:02 PM, Js1 said:

A midseason firing of an assistant who has been with Huggins for 2.5 decades?

https://wvusports.com/news/2023/1/12/mens-basketball-wvu-mens-basketball-staff-change.aspx

He’s never really looked happy but, I watched a bit of their loss to the Land Thieves and he looked terrible. He looked miserable. He was sweating profusely. His team is losing. As much as I hate WVU, and I do very much, he has been a fantastic coach and I also believe he has cared well for his players, I think it’s time for him to step down.

I'm so jacked for tomorrow night.  Should be an absolutely epic atmosphere at Hilton with the return of Tyrese Hunter and both squads still very much in contention to push Kansas.

I'm not watching closely, but I'm fairly impressed with how the UT assistants are keeping the train on the tracks in the wake of the Beard scandal.

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35460227/the-big-12-best-conference-men-college-basketball-2022-23

The Big 12 has the highest average rating using the Men's College Basketball Power Index (BPI) of any conference at 11.

The weakest team, Texas Tech, has a BPI (how many points above or below average a team is) of 9, higher than the average of the second-ranked Big Ten (8.5).

The Big 12 is the only conference with three teams in the BPI's top 10: Texas (5), Kansas (8) and Baylor (10).

The 10 hardest remaining schedules belong to the 10 teams from the Big 12.

All 10 teams in the conference are in the BPI's top 40. No other conference even has 10 teams in the top 50.

Joe Lunardi's bracketology currently has seven of the 10 teams making the tournament field, with two of the remaining three among his First Four Out (Oklahoma) and Next Four Out (Oklahoma State). If the Big 12 can get eight teams in, it will top the 1991 Big East for the highest percentage of teams in a conference to make the Big Dance. ESPN Analytics gives this a 33% chance of happening.

The Big 12 has four teams with more than a 1% chance to win the 2023 NCAA tournament. No other conference has more than two.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Iowa state beat Baylor by 15 at home and tech by 34 at home. I wanna have hope but I feel a 20 point loss coming for the horns tonight. I’d love to see us somehow steal a road game like this. 

Yep. If Texas starts slow on offense, plays subpar defense, and gets down early (for a third-straight game), I don't see another second-half run to eke out a win. Not against ISU at Hilton.

On 1/16/2023 at 7:56 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm so jacked for tomorrow night.  Should be an absolutely epic atmosphere at Hilton with the return of Tyrese Hunter and both squads still very much in contention to push Kansas.

I'm not watching closely, but I'm fairly impressed with how the UT assistants are keeping the train on the tracks in the wake of the Beard scandal.

We'll see. I think most of us (who follow closely) are expecting a loss, at a minimum.

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I just have this feeling in my gut that Hunter goes off big time.  Cyclone fan syndrome I guess.  We're only favored by 2.5 too.  That tells me Vegas has the Horns on a neutral court.

That would be a shock to us all. Hunter (for whatever reason) has been a shell of himself, lately.

8 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

That would be a shock to us all. Hunter (for whatever reason) has been a shell of himself, lately.

I might have posted this in another thread, but he ran hot and cold here last year as well.  Obviously he was pretty good through most of the season to win FOTY, but there were games where he would disappear.  When he went off against LSU in the Dance, it was kind of a surprise.  Prior to that, you couldn't really count on him to get buckets on a nightly basis.  Played his ass off on D every game, but he'd have games with a lot of turnovers, and games where he didn't score much at all.  He really seemed to have a problem drawing fouls when he drew contact, which lead to a lot of those turnovers.  There seemed like a lot of times where he'd get a steal or have the ball in transition, drive to the hoop, draw contact, miss the shot, and there was no foul called.

There's been some pretty open bad blood/negativity between him and the fans and his former teammates since he's left, and I think he's the kind of guy that feeds off the hate.