Big 12 Basketball '22-'23 (fuck Baylor)

ztejas

8 hours ago, JWinTX said:

Man, ISU basketball must be so frustrating to follow…

This post seems extremely sarcastic, but last night's collapse was classic ISU shit that's been driving nails in my coffin since I was old enough to give a shit.

Thankfully I was exhausted from getting up early and moving snow all day and fell asleep with ISU up 23.

Man, this league.  The worst team in the Big 12 beat the team that was tied for 1st. ISU hangs on to its winless conference record trophy for another year.

I said anyone can beat anyone in this league and everyone laughed and said "except Tech" 

WV beating TCU, OU absolutely drubbing the #2 team in the country, OSU and Tech beating ISU shows that yes, every team in this league is dangerous if you don't bother showing up. 

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Man, this league.  The worst team in the Big 12 beat the team that was tied for 1st. ISU hangs on to its winless conference record trophy for another year.

I said anyone can beat anyone in this league and everyone laughed and said "except Tech" 

WV beating TCU, OU absolutely drubbing the #2 team in the country, OSU and Tech beating ISU shows that yes, every team in this league is dangerous if you don't bother showing up. 

It's why I don't understand the lack of credit a lot of posters here are giving Texas for handling business against the teams lower in the standings. You can say "well Texas hasn't played a lot of the tough games on the schedule yet" but at the same time Texas is 3-0 in Morgantown, Norman and Stillwater and has wins against TCU, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Texas Tech at home. How many teams in the country go 7-0 against that slate? And how many teams wouldn't drop at least a game between K State and ISU? 

Again - Shaka in his storied six year career at Texas never had us 6-2 in conference. His best start was 7-3 which quickly turned into 8-6 and that was in his first season. 

It's been 7 years since Texas was a relevant B12 title contender after half the slate played, and even that is debatable as KU finished 15-3 that season. I'm going to keep enjoying it rather than finding losses to pencil in and come up with reasons as to why they can't win the B12. Why don't we play the games and see what happens.

Here is K St's close:

Screenshot_20230131_092448_Chrome.thumb.jpg.98bd3a6e4dff7e9184c3d20a8cd99b8a.jpg

Here is Kansas' close:

Screenshot_20230131_092602_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3eb5972418ffe7a444531b2305ec6a93.jpg

After tonight Texas will be either a game up on both of them or 2 games up on Kansas. I sure as shit would have taken that at the start of the season even assuming Beard was coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Was really looking forward to tech going 0 for January in conference. 

I seriously wanted us to go 0-for BigXii, if for no other reason, than just to properly  implode this season completely.  No glimmers of hope, please…

51 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Christ, we showed up for 2/3rds of the game and they still won.

8 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

1C5571D1-4B14-4A53-9498-FD71B1D17423.jpeg

Why are you just posting pictures of Mark Adams?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Don’t you ever fucking doubt my negativity 

Man I'm with you mostly, but you guys have won several conference tournaments and made it to the Sweet Sixteen multiple times over the last 20 years. OKST hasn't done either since 2005. How about a little perspective about the status of your program, you're doing just fine overall.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Man I'm with you mostly, but you guys have won several conference tournaments and made it to the Sweet Sixteen multiple times over the last 20 years. OKST hasn't done either since 2005. How about a little perspective about the status of your program, you're doing just fine overall.

I just meant in a micro sense.  I'm conditioned over the years to expect something wacky and bad to happen because that happens a lot.

I'm very pleased with the overall position of the ISU basketball program.  All I hoped for this year was to make the Dance, and barring a total collapse (which is always possible with ISU) we should do that easily.  But this team flashed just enough potential to get the fanbase all hot and bothered.  Otz is doing a great job, and I really like watching these guys play.  They've been out over their skis for awhile, and between that and general fatigue, a regression to their actual talent level was likely.

When you combine regular season and tournament titles, ISU is second to KU in the Big 12 era, and has a decent lead over the programs tied for 3rd (OU and UT actually).  Being an ISU basketball fan has more ups than downs, it's just that the downs have a tendency to be spectacular and laughable for others.

Was it kenpom predictor that had it as a 3 way tie for first at 11-7?

that would put Texas at a 4-5 finish, which I think is reasonable. 

Is it reasonable to think Kansas goes 6-4? Tcu? Can isu go 5-4?

I think if Texas can win 5 more it has a good shot at the regular season title.  The path there-yeesh. Let’s say Oklahoma and wvu are wins at home- even that is not a sure thing. Then you have to be able to beat isu at home.  Can you beat ku at home?

next easiest is probably @tech and you know how they will be. 

if you win 3/4 at home and in Lubbock, you get to the 11-7. If you don’t, or you want that 12-6 mark, you have to beat at least 1 of Baylor, tcu, ksu, and ku on the road. 

I think the team is good enough to get one with 4 bites at the apple. 

Anyway we probably end up around that 11-7 mark.  Are there 3-4 more losses for all the other guys?

2 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

Is ESPN trying to push pretty much all college hoops to ESPN+, or is the Big 12 the only conference consistently having top 10 matchups on it?

Pretty ridic how many top 10 big 12 matchups are not prime time ESPN/ESPN2.

Omg why does this continue to come up so many times per year?

The Big 12 contractually pushes at least one conference home game for each school to ESPN+ (except Texas bc of LHN) and they’re decided weeks before the season. No one thought KSU was good so they pushed this to ESPN+. They don’t flex games from the app to the main channels. 

^
Yeah, maybe it's just because we cut the cord...but seems like more games than usual are on ESPN+ and not the other 3 properties.  

Also today, got an updated list for the 2023 Nov/Dec MTE tournaments.  Out of the 10 current Big XII hoops teams, all but 2 have been signed off on by the league to participate in one of those tourneys.  The two that were not checked out yet---OKL & TEX.  That cannot be a fucking coincidence.  

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Big 12 contractually pushes at least one conference home game for each school to ESPN+ (except Texas bc of LHN) and they’re decided weeks before the season. No one thought KSU was good so they pushed this to ESPN+. They don’t flex games from the app to the main channels. 

It’s really odd to me that they don’t flex. They have pretty much all college basketball inventory. If I was them I’d write It up that I got to put whatever the fuck I wanted on the mothership and we’d go by conference at the other times/channels. 
everyone schedules their games at 7/9:10 during conference play and I’m showing the best two every night I have college hoops on the main channel. 

My bad, I must have missed it between open the upper deck chatter that I like to deride others for.

Watching halftime. What is it with everyone and their mother comparing guys to KD? Such a lazy comp that gets parroted. I don't hear a ton of LeBron comparisons tossed around even though they're almost equally ridiculous. 

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Hadn’t flipped back over. Was watching the game in FW. Was gonna post about Tre Mitchell wearing two diff colored shoes like a jackass 

He's a strange bird.

Wildcats getting KU into all sorts of foul trouble - at the line down 8. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Back to 15. KSU has to make a push at the 10 min mark 

Yeah this is cooked. K St showed glimpses and this has been a fun game but they got into a track meet that they're losing. Too many turnovers and lapses on both ends. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't think either of these teams are better than Texas.

In case anyone was wondering. 

This is exactly why I push back on all the "woe is me" bullshit I see in the Texas threads.  Yeah, I don't want Rodney Terry as our permanent coach any more than the rest of you, but I'm not so stupid as to want us to fail.  First place in conference and a decent chance of holding it?  A decent chance at a 3-4 seed?  Man, we haven't seen that in forever.  I'll take the "consequences".

Edited by jimmyjazz