Big 12 Basketball '22-'23 (fuck Baylor)

ztejas

4 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Moving The Goal Posts? - Doctor Bob Posner

No I didn't move the goalpost.  The trend I was discussing was barely doing shit in March, which was listed by another poster.  The last 10 years seem pretty realistic/ relevant in that vein of trends.

Edited by slorch

If it was up to the media, Tom Herman would be our head football coach, Casey Thompson would be the hall of honor for most hours ever spent watching film and we would have forfeited our matchup against Alabama last year because it was such a mismatch.

I could give a rats ass what the media thinks of our decisions.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, slorch said:

No I didn't move the goalpost.  The trend I was discussing was barely doing shit in March, which was listed by another poster.  The last 10 years seem pretty realistic/ relevant in that vein of trends.

nope, the trend you were replying to was in regards to barely squeaking into the tournament.  

• Hook 'Em 1

@slorch is succumbing to his inability to read.  I don't think I've seen one Texas fan on these boards say "Rodney Terry should not be made the permanent coach regardless of results going forward".  I mean, zero.

What most are saying is that there is likely some high bar where he really can't be denied -- maybe Final Four, maybe Elite Eight for some -- but beyond that he is just not worth the risk.

slorch'd, with the usual amount of disingenous bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

I, for one, think we should emulate Tech and hope to squeak into the NCAAs next year by keeping Terry. 

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Not at all what I said, you moron. It was squeaking into the tournament year 2 after making the Sweet 16 with the previous guy’s culture and most of his roster 

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

nope, the trend you were replying to was in regards to barely squeaking into the tournament.  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Not at all what I said, you moron. It was squeaking into the tournament year 2 after making the Sweet 16 with the previous guy’s culture and most of his roster 

Yep.  You must have been alluding to Texas' outstanding finishes and how hiring Terry would somehow change that.

You can take shot s all you want, and it makes not a fucking difference.

Y'all still won't stick with the dude because he's not zippy enough.  The Tech situation is not even remotely comparable, but that's why you use it.

Excuses.  Weak ass excuses. Chase the sizzle hire and let the guy who is doing a great job go.   LOLz.

If Terry does well enough this year and there aren't any good options out there, it's possible CDC gives him a 3 year contract with a small buyout. It's not like CDC has to fight off other big time programs and Terry would love to be our HC even if it means for a shorter-term contact and less than the market pay. It will still be better than he could get elsewhere. LSU and Orgeron were in the same situation when they first hired him, and it worked out for them. Do well next year and you get the extension and the raise.

Edit: Our rivals hated the Beard hire and they would love for us to hire Terry. That should tell us all we need to know.

Edited by UTEE97

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

If Terry does well enough this year and there aren't any good options out there, it's possible CDC gives him a 3 year contract with a small buyout. It's not like CDC has to fight off other big time programs and Terry would love to be our HC even if it means for a shorter-term contact and less than the market pay. It will still be better than he could get elsewhere. LSU and Orgeron were in the same situation when they first hired him, and it worked out for them. Do well next year and you get the extension and the raise.

Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into it. 

52 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into it. 

I would be ok with the above scenario. I am just worried about giving him a long-term contract because of his past coaching history. Statistics don't lie over the long term, but you can have anomalies (i.e., 1 great season) in a short time period.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Now do the wins in the past 10 years.

or just celebrate high seeds...

I'm not making fun of the past, I'm just a bit surprised that Terry's automatically a no-go for some UT fans, regardless of results.  Outcome be -damned, we want some sizzle!!!

I do not understand how people still conflate legitimate concerns regarding Terry as the CEO of a program into his results from part of this season. They are disparate arguments.

Yes, Terry should get a ton of credit for the success delivered this season - which is not over, by the way. It is yet to be seen how far this team makes it. However, RT did not build this roster, has not experienced a long-term upward trajectory of excellence at either stop he served as a head coach, does not have anywhere near the background of a usual candidate being considered for the head coach position at Texas, and does not fit the criteria Del Conte normally seeks in head coach candidates.

It's analogous to CEO candidates in the business world. Just because you were successful at one company or in industry does not mean you automatically will be in another environment. They are very unique individuals who thrive, and are qualified, to lead a restructuring or corporate turnaround versus someone who knows how to lead a promising start-up during the high-growth phase.

TL;DR: You can't just assume that RT is the best option to lead this program five-plus years into the future simply based on this team's on-court performance. There are myriad other factors to consider.   

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, CheesePie said:

If Terry is able to retain our recruiting class and keep Morris & Hunter around for another year, he should be considered. It’s likely this roster falls to ashes next season with a new coach. 

I disagree with this. A top-tier candidate should be able to convince some key pieces to stay. Additionally, they'll have sway with their own current recruiting class to ask out of their NIL and change schools, potentially keep some of our current recruits, and should be able to work the transfer portal.

I do agree that next year's roster might look very difficult, but that doesn't automatically mean that the roster won't be talented overall.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Excuses.  Weak ass excuses. Chase the sizzle hire and let the guy who is doing a great job go.   LOLz.

Again, there is a lot more to running a program than stepping into a fantastic roster and not tanking the season.

As has been said, RT should receive serious consideration with a long tournament run. However, I do not believe that invalidates any other concerns about whether he has the experience to sustain this program long term. 

8 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I disagree with this. A top-tier candidate should be able to convince some key pieces to stay. Additionally, they'll have sway with their own current recruiting class to ask out of their NIL and change schools, potentially keep some of our current recruits, and should be able to work the transfer portal.

I do agree that next year's roster might look very different, but that doesn't automatically mean that the roster won't be talented overall.

My bad. And I should have multi-quoted all of these responses. Sorry for the individual posts.

Texas @ Baylor is the premier game of the day tomorrow. 

OU @ ISU 11am - OU can just fuck with seeding for their opponents now with some upsets
TCU @ Tech - Tech wants in, TCU wants to stay in 6th place to avoid playing on day 1 of the Big 12 tournament
KSU @ OSU - OSU, same as TCU, can avoid playing on day 1 of the Big 12 tournament. KSU hasn't been eliminated from title contention yet and staying ahead of Baylor keeps them away from the #1 seed in the conference tournament 
WV @ KU - WV wants in and KU wants to basically lock up a Big 12 title (at least a share) by sweeping their 2 home games left

KU 11-4
Texas 11-4
KSU 9-6
Baylor 9-6
ISU 8-7
TCU 7-8
OSU 7-8
TTU 5-10
WV 5-10
OU 3-12

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, 76Jayhawk said:

Technically you are not. KU and UT would have to lose out. But since they play each other in the last game, ISU is eliminated.

They were until Texas beat them, actually. Whoops 

Edited by Js1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

ISU can still share the title if one of KU/UT loses out and ISU wins out, since ISU can’t pick up another loss to either team. A shared regular season title is still a title for both teams. Since you went with a technicality 

???  I haven't had my full gallon of coffee yet, but the winner of KU/UT will have (at a minimum) 12 wins in conference.  ISU can only get to 11 wins.  Seems like they're out.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

???  I haven't had my full gallon of coffee yet, but the winner of KU/UT will have (at a minimum) 12 wins in conference.  ISU can only get to 11 wins.  Seems like they're out.

I could have sworn. Maybe not.  But I think until Saturday, they’re still in it. Or else we knocked them out on Tuesday 

Edited by Js1

Fanciful scenarios aside there's basically a 0% chance of it being anything besides Texas or Kansas or a split.

K State and/or Baylor would need to win out, have Kansas drop one at home, Texas lose against both Baylor and TCU and then Texas beat Kansas. 

Believe Angels In The Outfield GIF

(Texas and Kansas both winning tomorrow would end it for everyone else)

Edited by ztejas

25 minutes ago, JWinTX said:

Games at Baylor and at TCU, before hosting KU at home is just brutal. Compare that with KU getting WVU and Tech at the Phog before coming down here. Its hard to see a tie for the title without some major surprises.

O ye of little faith: I have given you Rice so you may eat.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JWinTX said:

Games at Baylor and at TCU, before hosting KU at home is just brutal. Compare that with KU getting WVU and Tech at the Phog before coming down here. Its hard to see a tie for the title without some major surprises.

Just need to go 1-1 on the road and there will be major juice in Moody against Kansas. 

Kansas also isn't spectacular on the road/neutral court. They're 10-4 and have lost most their games against ranked teams away from home. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

Miles back from injury and the refs handing out “attaboys” and “welcome back” on every possession

officiating talk not going away

5 fouls on tcu already this half. Tech should be able to shoot a ton of fts. 

6 now. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto