Big 12 Basketball '22-'23 (fuck Baylor)

ztejas

3 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Anyone know what the bible verse was that got all this started?

Just kind of wondering if it was truly a stupid thing to say.  Or if it was just an overly-sensitive kid that he quoted it to.

I hate that people are losing jobs these days for saying barely (or borderline) insensitive stuff.   

Just bc you think it’s insensitive doesn’t mean it was to them.  Calling someone over-sensitive is such an asshole move.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Just kind of wondering if it was truly a stupid thing to say.  Or if it was just an overly-sensitive kid that he quoted it to.

I hate that people are losing jobs these days for saying barely (or borderline) insensitive stuff.   

It was some verse that made a reference to a slave serving his master.  If there are any religious folks on Surly (LOL) they might know which one.

It was some verse that made a reference to a slave serving his master.  If there are any religious folks on Surly (LOL) they might know which one.

Ephesians 6 and Colossians 3 are the most famous ones, absolutely nothing to do with race-based chattel slavery but that didn’t stop slaveowners from co-opting it.

Absolutely no idea how it would apply in a basketball motivational speech.

Edit: Colossians 3:23 commands the reader, “whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the lord as a reward.” so maybe some type of “don’t do it for me, do it for the hardware” type of speech? Stupid and a big stretch if so.
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

Ephesians 6 and Colossians 3 are the most famous ones, absolutely nothing to do with race-based chattel slavery but that didn’t stop slaveowners from co-opting it.

Yeah, if you read those in context it means to work humbly wherever you find yourself bc you should be serving as a child of God and not man. (Slavery at that time was indentured work usually because of debt or poor socioeconomic class.) So the instruction is to be a good worker/player/etc even if your boss/manager/coach is a big butt hole.

Tech looking for a way out of Adams contract.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Wonder what Scripture Adams quoted when leaving his long time wife for his brother’s widow? Allegedly.

James 2:15-17 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

Jalen Wilson, POY (unanimous)

DeJuan Harris, DPOY

Keyonte George, FOY 

Keyontae Johnson, Newcomer of the Year (unanimous)

Sir’Jabari Rice, Sixth Man of the Year

KJ Adams, Most Improved Player 

Jerome Tang, COY

4 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Are they setting the stage for rehiring Beard? You mean to tell me Tech boosters didn't pay Trew off to get him fired from Texas?

Lol, God, no. Just because Tech’s money men are from West Texas doesn’t mean they don’t have egos. They’re more likely to tell Beard  to kiss the pink part of their asses than offer him a job.

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

He’s in trouble for quoting gross bible verses, fucking your dead brothers wife is biblical as hell.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I agree, but I wasn’t sure if that was confirmed for real or not

Wait, what's this again?

1 hour ago, ATXbronco said:

Cancel culture is running amok!

• Hook 'Em 1

Mark Adams should probably have his own thread.

He's accused of spitting on a player, but he claims he had a dogged cough.

He says the bible verse he quoted was about Jesus referring to the master-servant role, not the master-slave role. The slave part was an interpretation from the player, allegedly. He had a chance to apologize to the team, but instead explained his side of things, insisting that he didn't apologize. #boldstrategycotton

It would be helpful for him if he had some strong advocates on the team willing to vouch for him in powerful ways. Because otherwise it looks like he's lost this team. Whatever his intent was, he's going to be judged by the perception of the people on the other side of the equation. Especially when he has someone who wasn't spit on claiming he said, "I can spit on you whenever I want to," which honestly doesn't even seem like something a reasonable person would say. Which makes me think it's made up to make him look worse. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, slorch said:

It's funny to say, but if anyone thinks this might be plausible, they completely ignored the circumstances of Beard's departure from Tech.  He will never fucking work there again.  

I know some moderate / high boosters of Tech basketball who would disagree with you. I’m just going to say the door isn’t completely closed.

• Hook 'Em 1

Everything surrounding this saga regarding Beard’s departure, to Mark Adams being hired and his amazing first season, to now both of them being canned before the end of their 2nd season for absurd behavior- is completely crazy. 
Texas Tech’s list of coaches, hoe they got the job and how they departed, is whackier than any program out there over the last 30 years or so. From rampant cheating to hiring a disgraced legend to leaving in the middle of the season for nepotism to another former national championship coach who ends up being a short timer to a rampant player abuser to hiring a guy who held his previous job for 19 days to losing him to the big instate school after becoming one of the most popular coaches on campus ever to watching that coach get fired for felony domestic violence to watching the assistant do amazing his first year, and then implode his second and then get fired for spitting on a player and quoting the Bible about master slave relationships (not exact, but he’s getting fired for sure). 
What a fucking whirlwind. 

Yes. In a nutshell. A big nutshell without punctuation
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Wait, what's this again?

There’s an allegation that Adams tried to fuck his brother’s wife a week after the brother died.

Kinda like Frank Reynolds in that episode of Sunny when they give him an intervention 

• Drool 1

This is 100% TT looking for a way to get rid of their HC.

Will be fun seeing that litigated. Why in the fuck in 2023 at a public university Stevens thought he should quote a bible verse to his players is just silly.

Maybe he is looking to get fired, go back to being a bench coach.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

There’s an allegation that Adams tried to fuck his brother’s wife a week after the brother died.

Kinda like Frank Reynolds in that episode of Sunny when they give him an intervention 

Tried? Pretty sure it was a long affair and they eloped after the brother died, and Mark divorced his wife. 

• Like 1

Wait, what's this again?

I’m surprised this hasn’t received more attention

Coach Mark Adams was a fraternal twin. His twin brother passed a few years ago. Mark Adams himself divorced his wife of over 30 years about the same time. Mark Adams and his twin’s widow began a relationship not long after those events. Allegedly, the two wed in Hawaii when Tech was playing in a tournament there in December.

Yes. Really. Look it up
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Considering both of our schools just got burned before the end of year 2 by coaches from the Bob Knight tree being huge assholes (imagine that!), maybe that’s not such a positive on the old resume.

I'm not sure he really counts as being in the Knight tree. He was at Tech before Knight was hired and didn't actually coach under him.

• Like 1

Considering both of our schools just got burned before the end of year 2 by coaches from the Bob Knight tree being huge assholes (imagine that!), maybe that’s not such a positive on the old resume.

McCasland was actually a staffer for James Dickey. Left Texas Tech when Dickey was canned in 2001 and before Knight was hired, though that might not be any better

2 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

I notice it tends to happen more to people who aren’t well-liked or who are bad at what they do. Adams checks both boxes.

2 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Kinda over reacting a bit, wouldn't you say?

Immediately going with “over sensitive kid” is the go-to for the “CANCEL CULTURE!!!” crowd to defend the party who did something wrong. 

Adams said something dumb, insensitive and outright inappropriate. He should know better. He is in trouble for it.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Immediately going with “over sensitive kid” is the go-to for the “CANCEL CULTURE!!!” crowd to defend the party who did something wrong. 

Adams said something dumb, insensitive and outright inappropriate. He should know better. He is in trouble for it.  

I was joking.

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Maybe. He's probably quoted that verse thousands of times in his life when talking to players, employees, and even children and never had anyone take exception to it. Doesn't mean it was okay for him to say it, but there's plenty of reason to question whether he should have known better. 

Doesn't matter. He claims he said master-servant, but even that has the word master, which has all kinds of connotations. The player says he referenced a master slave relationship. Whether Adams did or not, that accusation carries a different kind of weight to it. 

Edited by SL Xpress

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Maybe. He's probably quoted that verse thousands of times in his life when talking to players, employees, and even children and never had anyone take exception to it. Doesn't mean it was okay for him to say it, but there's plenty of reason to question whether he should have known better. 

Doesn't matter. He claims he said master-servant, but even that has the word master, which has all kinds of connotations. The player says he referenced a master slave relationship. Whether Adams did or not, that accusation carries a different kind of weight to it. 

It's just a really tone deaf thing to do when you're at a public institution, coaching young black men, and a multi-faith team on top of that.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's just a really tone deaf thing to do when you're at a public institution, coaching young black men, and a multi-faith team on top of that.

Oh, there's no question. And he's going to be fired. 

I'm just saying there's an assumption he should have known better, when his life experiences may not have prepared him to know better. 

I've met plenty of people over the course of my life that said and did things that were completely tone deaf because nobody had called them into account for it before. Many times getting into heated arguments if I pointed it out. "That's not what I meant!"

Of course, then there's the people who know exactly what they're saying and doing, but I don't think that's the case here. Scott Adams saying he's going to only live only around white people, for example. 

All this is assuming he used the phrase master-servant, and not master-slave. If he actually said master-slave, then he absolutely should have known better. If he used slave in any context, he should have known better. 

IMO, his biggest problem is that he completely lost the team, so players aren't willing to give him the benefit of the doubt any more. He has to go. Plain and simple. 

I like the North Texas coach, McCasland, as a hire, btw. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

You have to be pretty fucked in the head to bang your brothers wife/and or widow. 

Ferris Buellers Day Off Nine Times GIF

God commands it:

“If brothers dwell together, and one of them dies and has no son, the wife of the dead man shall not be married outside the family to a stranger. Her husband's brother shall go in to her and take her as his wife and perform the duty of a husband's brother to her” - Deuteronomy  25:5

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Just bc you think it’s insensitive doesn’t mean it was to them.  Calling someone over-sensitive is such an asshole move.

I mean, it’s a reasonable question.  There is such a thing as an eggshell plaintiff, it’s a law concept you learn like the first week of law school. It’s the entire purpose behind a reasonable person standard and it exists in all walks of life and all places in the world. It’s literally impossible to know, without knowing what was said, whether it was reasonable to be offended or not. He didn’t call him overly sensitive he posited that it might be the case he was and wanted context. Tech has proven themselves at the admin level to be cheap ass shit birds (see Leach, Mike) when trying to fire a coach so who knows. 

Playing Baylor twice in 5 days is going to be weird as hell.  It's tough to beat the same team 3 times, but sometimes there are just bad matchups and it doesn't matter (like if we have to play WVU or the Pokes again).

This year's tournament seems even more wide open than usual.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

The scripture by Woody Allen:

One. . . And the Lord made an bet with Satan to test Job’s loyalty and the Lord, for no apparent reason to Job, smote him on the head and again on the ear and pushed him into an thick sauce so as to make Job sticky and vile and then He slew a 10th part of Job’s kine and Job calleth out: “Why doth thou slay my kine? Kine are hard to come by. And Job’s wife saw this she wept and the Lord sent an angel of mercy who anointed her head with a polo mallet and of the 10 plagues, the Lord sent one through six, inclusive, and Job was sore and his wife angry and she rent her garment and then raised the rent but refused to paint.

52 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This year's tournament seems even more wide open than usual.

Especially because Texas and KU don't have much to play for past the first game. A W there for each team probably locks KU to #1 overall and Texas to a 2 seed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Especially because Texas and KU don't have much to play for past the first game. A W there for each team probably locks KU to #1 overall and Texas to a 2 seed. 

Agreed, but KU wasn't playing for any seeding last year either.  I feel like OK State and WVU have the most to gain.  I think they're both in, and suspect they can improve their seeding with a good run that takes a scalp or two.

The way we were limping prior Saturday, I think that winning it would move us up a seed, but then again in 2019 we won the tourney after going 9-9 and it didn't change much.

25 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Agreed, but KU wasn't playing for any seeding last year either.  I feel like OK State and WVU have the most to gain.  I think they're both in, and suspect they can improve their seeding with a good run that takes a scalp or two.

The way we were limping prior Saturday, I think that winning it would move us up a seed, but then again in 2019 we won the tourney after going 9-9 and it didn't change much.

We're not in at this point. We need to at least beat OU, but as you said above, beating a team three times is hard, and OU has shown they can play sometimes including just a few days ago. I don't see us winning and a loss will seal our NIT bid. If we win, we at least need to be competitive with UT. Another blowout and I don't see us getting in even after beating OU, especially if some mid-major upsets or bubble teams making a conference run eat into at large bids.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm still convinced that ISU will make their run in KC and win the thing. Too many times that this has happened--and you guys have the home court advantage as the entire T-Mobile Center and P&L District turns red and gold. Looks like a McDonald's Seminar gone wild...