Big 12 Basketball '22-'23 (fuck Baylor)

ztejas

9 minutes ago, JWinTX said:

I'm still convinced that ISU will make their run in KC and win the thing. Too many times that this has happened--and you guys have the home court advantage as the entire T-Mobile Center and P&L District turns red and gold. Looks like a McDonald's Seminar gone wild...

I would very much enjoy that, but it really felt this year and last like we got heavily scouted out in conference play, and struggled with a lot of teams on the second match up.  For whatever reason, we match up really well with Baylor (I think it's because their guards hate getting pressured) and I could see us beating them, but then we get KU on Friday night, and they're rolling, sort of.  It'll be a split crowd for that game too.

A weird stat about ISU and the Big 12 tournament:  since 2013 we've either lost our first game or won the whole thing.  No in between.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

What was wrong with (sober) Penders and Barnes?

Ok. Coaching hires while a good majority of today’s college athletes/ prospects have been alive.

19 hours ago, Newdoc said:

(Slavery at that time was indentured work usually because of debt or poor socioeconomic class.)

Nonsense. The Romans absolutely had slaves as property. Indentureship is part of British Common Law and has nothing to do with the Romans. Why are we making up fake facts about Roman history in this thread?

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

What was wrong with (sober) Penders and Barnes?

Not to mention Smart and Beard were considered homerun hires.

It's not the hiring part that seems to be so hard for Texas.

It's the keeping the coaches from fucking up once they have the job that is the issue.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Oh, there's no question. And he's going to be fired. 

I'm just saying there's an assumption he should have known better, when his life experiences may not have prepared him to know better. 

Well, my life experiences haven't prepared me to be a college basketball coach, either.  I mean, I didn't play basketball past middle school and I've never coached anything beyond my son's t-ball team.  And I suspect those are kind of important qualifications.

Another qualification is being able to talk to 18- to 22-year old men who are often Black.  And if your life experiences don't prepare you to do that, then you probably also aren't qualified to be a college basketball coach.

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Especially because Texas and KU don't have much to play for past the first game. A W there for each team probably locks KU to #1 overall and Texas to a 2 seed. 

Two wins moves up to top #2, we are likely 2 or 3 right now, however we are good with our #2 seed even with a loss to OSU/OU. If we somehow sweep KSU/KU and Alabama or UCLA struggle in their conference tournaments, then Texas could move to a one. KU and UH are locked in at #1's.

5 hours ago, 76Jayhawk said:

Just wanted to stop by and say I went to the KU/UT game in Austin and had a great time. Obviously we did not win but I sat in the corner right above the band and y'alls student section across the arena were amped up and very fun. MUCH better atmosphere than the Erwin center was. 

I wanted to get to this game because it might be the last time we play in Austin (off chance we get a road game at UT next year but who knows) before you guys head off to get the bag. All in all Moody is a great stadium and everyone was pleasant. I was sat next to two young girls who had a Timmy Allen sign and were apparently huge fans of him with faces painted and all. 

I will say, if I never hear Texas Fight (or Boomer Sooner) ever again it will be too soon but to the Texas fans who might have been in my area, you guys were all very cool and I had a great time.

You left out the part about getting lost in the way to the arena and being given directions by the friendliest fans anywhere.

Glad you enjoyed the experience. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Nonsense. The Romans absolutely had slaves as property. Indentureship is part of British Common Law and has nothing to do with the Romans. Why are we making up fake facts about Roman history in this 

Read the text in context and know your history. Indentured slavery in the biblical world was absolutely common and that includes the Romans. The Bible does not condone captive slavery and encourages those with indentured slaves to allow them to obtain freedom. And still, most of the slavery at that time, for the audience of the letters, was indentured and not captive. Slavery is not the main object of the passages in question. It groups people together that have some type of authority over them.

• Fuck You 1

What the fuck does ancient Rome have to do with this? Whatever the translation is or was supposed to be, at least one interpretation was "slave" and it was used more recently by many to justify the Atlantic slave trade. That's the context of slavery most commonly discussed today in the United States, because chattel slavery was really not that long ago, and is the most recent form of legal slavery in the United States. Its not "tone deaf" to somehow miss this context, any argument that he's referring to "indentured servitude" in Ancient Rome is intentionally trying to justify his statement as somehow not relevant to race relations. Next will be that some African kings participated in the slave trade, and did you know there were Irish slaves? It's all a means to avoid why it's a problem. He fucked up, pretty egregiously, consequences will follow.

• Hook 'Em 2

How does Kirby Hocutt still have a job? This is what, the 4th or 5th coach at Tech in the last 5 years who has been accused of abuse? I know they had issues in softball, girls basketball and tennis. Is he just the puppet for the oil bros making all the real decisions?

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If you remove all the racial implications, him spitting on the kid is enough to be canned, IMO.  That's pretty fucked up behavior and in line with all the other stories of him being a fucking loon.

What did the bipolar cyclone basketball player (edit to add: Caleb Grill) say to get kicked off the team? Still haven't seen it reported nationally anywhere, but figured you'd know.

Edited by HamsterHookah

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If you remove all the racial implications, him spitting on the kid is enough to be canned, IMO.  That's pretty fucked up behavior and in line with all the other stories of him being a fucking loon.

Yeah the spitting is more than enough. How weird and immature for a 66 year old 

2 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Read the text in context and know your history. Indentured slavery in the biblical world was absolutely common and that includes the Romans. The Bible does not condone captive slavery and encourages those with indentured slaves to allow them to obtain freedom. And still, most of the slavery at that time, for the audience of the letters, was indentured and not captive. Slavery is not the main object of the passages in question. It groups people together that have some type of authority over them.

Nonsense. It was absolutely not common. In fact debt bondage was specifically illegal in the Roman Empire. And even if something similar was common it was certainly not identical to Indentured Servitude which, again, is a part of British Common law.

But I have no idea what you are talking about. Being a slave was a legal status in the Roman Empire. It was not something that free citizens entered into on a temporary basis to pay some debt or to get some service in return. Even if that did exist they certainly would not have been referred to as slaves but something else. Once you became a slave, you were a slave unless you died or somebody freed you.

Now it is true that in the Greek areas things worked a little different, and that the Greeks were the people being addressed here, but if anything their laws and traditions were more harsh, not less. There were millions of slaves in the first century AD Roman Empire. And we even know roughly how many slaves were sold every year, thanks to Roman Tax records (as the Emperor took a cut of every sale), and that was several hundred thousand a year and it is not like every slave in the Empire was being put up for sale every year.

11 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

What did the bipolar cyclone basketball player (edit to add: Caleb Grill) say to get kicked off the team? Still haven't seen it reported nationally anywhere, but figured you'd know.

Well, there was all the cheap and chippy shit you saw on the court.

The short version is that he was acting like that off the court.  Abusive to trainers, staff, and other players.  Otz caught him talking shit, and they were going to suspend him for the rest of the season but only tell the public it was due to his back.  Grill kept talking.  Otz also consulted the rest of the team, and the team unanimously voted to kick Grill off.  Apparently through that big slump, Grill was blaming everyone else and not accepting coaching or responsibility.

In general, he'd become a cancer.  And judging by the results so far, the biopsy appears successful.  I hope Grill gets himself sorted out, because prior to about the midway point of this season, he'd been a great story and great Cyclone.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The short version is that he was acting like that off the court.  Abusive to trainers, staff, and other players.  Otz caught him talking shit, and they were going to suspend him for the rest of the season but only tell the public it was due to his back.  Grill kept talking.  Otz also consulted the rest of the team, and the team unanimously voted to kick Grill off.  Apparently through that big slump, Grill was blaming everyone else and not accepting coaching or responsibility.

In general, he'd become a cancer.  And judging by the results so far, the biopsy appears successful.  I hope Grill gets himself sorted out, because prior to about the midway point of this season, he'd been a great story and great Cyclone.

Damn that's crazy. Had no idea he got kicked off!

19 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Damn that's crazy. Had no idea he got kicked off!

I don't know how many of the details are true, but it's very plausible given the little bit we do know and could watch.

And by "abusive" I obviously mean verbally.  This is the stuff that's passed through various group chats and message boards that I'm part of/follow.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't know how many of the details are true, but it's very plausible given the little bit we do know and could watch.

And by "abusive" I obviously mean verbally.  This is the stuff that's passed through various group chats and message boards that I'm part of/follow.

Thanks for the insight. The way it was reported it seemed more finite and smoking gun a la Tech coach.

3 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Thanks for the insight. The way it was reported it seemed more finite and smoking gun a la Tech coach.

People inside the program have confirmed it wasn't a single statement, nor was it racial.  It was a culmination of a bad run, and the thing he said was the straw that broke the camel's back.

ISU never alleged that Grill said something specific.  Grill stated that in his own tweet on the dismissal, in which he came off fairly mature and accepting responsibility for what he did.  ISU was very vague, as they always are.

This reminds me a little of the 2017 football season.  We had a talented head case QB that got dismissed after he shit the bed against y'all in Ames.  Then we start an unknown 3rd stringer in Norman and win en route to an 8 win season.  No one ever said why the head case QB was dismissed, but over time it kinda leaked out that he was getting stoned right before games.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Sounds like he will enjoy his time at Ole Miss playing for Beard.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

People inside the program have confirmed it wasn't a single statement, nor was it racial.  It was a culmination of a bad run, and the thing he said was the straw that broke the camel's back.

ISU never alleged that Grill said something specific.  Grill stated that in his own tweet on the dismissal, in which he came off fairly mature and accepting responsibility for what he did.  ISU was very vague, as they always are.

This reminds me a little of the 2017 football season.  We had a talented head case QB that got dismissed after he shit the bed against y'all in Ames.  Then we start an unknown 3rd stringer in Norman and win en route to an 8 win season.  No one ever said why the head case QB was dismissed, but over time it kinda leaked out that he was getting stoned right before games.

That makes sense. That Texas team was really bad offensively. He had a few TOs and took some really bad sacks. The only success we had on offense after the 1st couple of drives was the final drive to run out the clock.

On 3/6/2023 at 2:35 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

If you graduated from ku in 76, let me congratulate you on being anywhere. 

Ha, no I was born in 76. I did not graduate from KU though most of my family has. My family moved down to Houston when I started HS and I was not paying out of state tuition to go to KU. Been a fan since I was old enough to talk though.

4 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

You lost your first game in 2012 also…

Yes, I remember it well.  If we hold onto that lead, me and my buddies were headed south the next day from Des Moines.

2013 is relevant to that stat because we beat OU on Thursday and then lost to KU on Friday night.

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yes, I remember it well.  If we hold onto that lead, me and my buddies were headed south the next day from Des Moines.

2013 is relevant to that stat because we beat OU on Thursday and then lost to KU on Friday night.

We hung out with a bunch of cool ISU fans in the makers mark bar in P&L that night and saw Ron White after we lost to Mizzou the next night. Good times…

• Hook 'Em 1

What is this - fucking #metoo for B12 coaches? Errrybody's going down. 

Agree on Lampkin - always liked him despite the team he played for. He must be going through it to step away right before the tourney. 

In case anyone forgot - his brother got shot and killed last year in Dallas. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 2:08 PM, Ghost of LL said:

Well, my life experiences haven't prepared me to be a college basketball coach, either.  I mean, I didn't play basketball past middle school and I've never coached anything beyond my son's t-ball team.  And I suspect those are kind of important qualifications.

Another qualification is being able to talk to 18- to 22-year old men who are often Black.  And if your life experiences don't prepare you to do that, then you probably also aren't qualified to be a college basketball coach.

Hence he was just fired.

I never said he should be kept on. I assumed he was gone as soon as the report came out. Pretty much all of us did. I'm simply saying if someone wants to say he should know better, well...maybe. 

The way I would put it is that he was qualified to be a college basketball coach in a way neither you nor I are. He was not qualified to keep the job. 

2023 Big 12 Tournament schedule

T-Mobile Center -- Kansas City, Missouri

Quarterfinals -- Thursday, March 9
Gm 3: No. 4 Baylor vs. No. 5 Cyclones | 11:30am on ESPN
Gm 4: No. 1 KU vs. No. 8 W Va | 2pm on ESPN
Gm 5: No. 2 Texas vs. Okie Lite | 6pm on ESPN2
Gm6: No. 3 K-State vs. No. 6 Toads | 8:30pm on ESPN/ESPN2

Semifinals -- Friday, March 10
Gm 7: Gm 3 winner vs. Gm 4 winner | 6pm on ESPN/ESPN2
Gm 8: Gm 5 winner vs. Gm 6 winner | 8:30pm on ESPN/ESPN2

Big 12 Tournament Championship Game -- Saturday, March 11
Gm 9: Game 7 winner vs. Gm 8 winner | 5pm on ESPN

All times are central time...

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Please Baylor win, so we won’t have the whiny bitch anymore. 

Talking about yourself?  Literally all you do in this thread is post cunty whiny shit to me, and then call me a cunt or a whiner.

The height of projection.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2