2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

I was sweating at crossing-guard duty this morning at 7:15a.  Now I'm moving patio cushions into the garage.  I like the change of seasons, but kind of a bummer that it takes an epic cold front to get us out of the high 80's in mid-November.  Ah well, bring it on.  Taking the kids to watch "College Gameday" live in the morning no matter the weather.  They don't seem to understand why every game is either a heat-stroke advisory or they have to bundle up like Randy from "A Christmas Story"

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I was sweating at crossing-guard duty this morning at 7:15a.  Now I'm moving patio cushions into the garage.  I like the change of seasons, but kind of a bummer that it takes an epic cold front to get us out of the high 80's in mid-November.  Ah well, bring it on.  Taking the kids to watch "College Gameday" live in the morning no matter the weather.  They don't seem to understand why every game is either a heat-stroke advisory or they have to bundle up like Randy from "A Christmas Story"

Randy?

26 minutes ago, Deej said:

Randy?

yeah, Randy Parker.  Probably the best known little brother in the history of American film lore.  If this some anti-Lobo schtick, cool.  but how the fuck you do chime in on a winter thread and not know who Randy is from a Christmas story?  That's like chiming in on a 2005 Texas football thread and asking "Hey, who is this vince Young guy?"  

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2022 at 9:15 AM, Hate said:

Ok…can we go back to warm days now, please? The current forecast has only one day at 60 or higher for the next 10 days.

You know, a fall season would have been nice. Oh well we went from swamp ass to cold in a matter of hours, nothing in between.

Fucking hate this place.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Before I got thrown off Nextdoor there was a Karen threatening to call the cops on a neighbor that left their dog outside when it was about 45 degrees.  The dog was a Siberian husky.  I don’t think he was in danger.

I think this happens in every neighborhood in Austin.  We had some lady freaking out on there about my neighbor down the street's dog outside on a night of a light freeze.  It's a Samoyed (family is from Russia, dog from Siberia).  Meantime, the porch at my local tacodeli is filled every summer weekend with 100 pound, double-coated, bred-for-cold dogs tied up for 2 hours while their owners hang out.  Then they get walked back to a 400 square foot apartment that the giant dog can't turn around in.  But nobody says shit about that even though those dogs are visibly miserable and dehydrated as fuck.   

What'd you do to get kicked off nextdoor out of curiosity ? 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Have to send out my annual next door alert not report me for animal abuse because my dog refuses to come inside. 

I have 2 Great Pyrenees that completely change personalities when fall rolls in.  They are kind of lazy during the day in the summer.  The do their running and playing mostly at night.  Then when the leaves start to fall, they get way more active during the day.  They will both go outside through the dog door when it's snowing or icy and just lay out there.  I figure they'll come in when they are good and ready.  People just don't understand that some dogs were made for cold.

• Hook 'Em 2

They definitely seem to more bred for cold than heat.  But hipsters gonna hipster and get breeds woefully inappropriate for our climate most of the year.  

I bet it's fun as hell with your 2 pyrenees when the first cold front of Autumn arrives.  They look at each other like "We doing this right, we're descended from the Grey Wolf, right?"  And they they just wear your ass out playing outside that first morning/evening.  My schnauzer would lose his mind at first snow in Oct/Nov.  He'd run out there and roll around in it until he got hungry and soggy finally.  When it was still snowing in April and even May, he'd look at the front door glass like, "This is some bullshit, we shouldn't have to live like this." 

I bet "Fall" really fucks with thicker-coated dogs in Texas.  Because we get that first hint of it in early October, then still have spells of several days at/over 90 before the real cold settles in.  My oldest wants a dog soon, and I'll probably cave in a 2 more years.  But of all the breeds she wants, I have to tell her, "sweetie, that dog and you won't make it through one Austin summer together.  Here's a pre-approved list for you to stew on..."  I do have grand visions of making massive piles of leaves in the backyard and tossing her and the dog into them like my dad used to.  I really do like November.

17 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Double coated dogs actually do quite well in the summer. The undercoat creates ventilation between the skin and top coat which cools them down. 

Luna definitely prefers the cold. During the icepocalypse her favorite activity was smashing ice and snow like the hulk.

The worst part is the shedding.  They both shed their undercoats twice a year.  Once late winter/early spring and again late summer/early fall.  It just plain sucks.  We have one of those rake comb things that really dig into the under coat.  They just sit there and let us do our thing until we fill up a hefty bag full of hair.  It lasts for about 6 weeks or so even with us getting at the undercoat like that.  That being said, I wouldn't trade those dogs for anything. 

They are both rescues, but one came from a farm on the border with Iowa (we live in Missouri).  The people there just kind of let them breed and do their thing because there were somewhere north of 30 of them there.  The only social interaction that she had with people was when the rescue went to round them up.  We already had the other one and decided that she needed a buddy, so we adopted this one.  It was a little sketchy at first because she just didn't know what to think about people and having an indoors space to go in.  To top it off she was pregnant when we got her.  We agreed to take her and have the puppies at our house and then when they were old enough the rescue got them adopted out.  I think her seeing us with her puppies really made her trust us.  That girl is completely changed.  She weighs over 100 pounds but thinks that she's a lap dog.  She will also kill a racoon if they get too close to the chicken coop.  She doesn't draw blood or anything like that.  I think that she breaks their neck or smothers them.  She's kind of a bad ass.

Anyway, back to the 2022-23 winter.  We finally got some cold weather late last week.  About an hour south and east of us got upwards of 5" of snow, but we didn't get anything other than a few flurries.  We are supposed to get a little snow tonight.  We'll see how that works out.

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Before I got thrown off Nextdoor there was a Karen threatening to call the cops on a neighbor that left their dog outside when it was about 45 degrees.  The dog was a Siberian husky.  I don’t think he was in danger.

My husky mix refused to come in during the Snowpocalypse. Dug a hole in the snow and would curl up in it and just go to sleep.

20210215_071018.jpg

20210215_071004.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2