2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

34 minutes ago, Enemy07 said:

Big dick checking in. You are not a true Texan if you were not outside drinking and grilling in shorts, shirt, and sandals these past few days. Smoked me some food last night and it was not even that cold. Weird to see Texans dressed as if it is freezing outside. Usually it is the woman that want to play dress up or beta males that do not lift. Hahahahaha.

Mike B. Finally made it here. 

What are your thoughts on women in the workplace?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Bout to shut off the water for the night  

1888 raised house with i uninsulated pipes under 

The nice thing those houses is if there is an issue 1) the water doesn’t run in to your house from the attic and 2) fixes are usually pretty easy. 

Woke up at 4 this morning to the smell of smoke. 3 year old hvac unit (everything including wiring new) - breaker in the closet with the air handler caught on fire. Killed the power to the house and that mostly stopped it, and the FD made sure the fire was out. Smoke filled house and no electrician til Monday (just charring on the wood wall of the closet). Had to pack up and head back to Seabrook.  We lost a leg last weekend during the wind and centerpoint came and messed with the line.  Im wondering if they got too much voltage to our house  

PSA - make sure your fire alarms are powered. Everything in your house burns really fast once it gets going. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

A well known piece of shit with serious gender insecurities and an immature and sexist worldview - who doesn’t realize how everyone laughs at him when he posts stupid shit.

Honest mistake. 

Ha. I am the opposite of that. I love woman and have no insecurities. In fact, I wish woman had equal workplace rights and did not have to deal with beta male sexual harrasment.

29 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

The nice thing those houses is if there is an issue 1) the water doesn’t run in to your house from the attic and 2) fixes are usually pretty easy. 

Woke up at 4 this morning to the smell of smoke. 3 year old hvac unit (everything including wiring new) - breaker in the closet with the air handler caught on fire. Killed the power to the house and that mostly stopped it, and the FD made sure the fire was out. Smoke filled house and no electrician til Monday (just charring on the wood wall of the closet). Had to pack up and head back to Seabrook.  We lost a leg last weekend during the wind and centerpoint came and messed with the line.  Im wondering if they got too much voltage to our house  

PSA - make sure your fire alarms are powered. Everything in your house burns really fast once it gets going. 

Oh shit.  we lost neutral a few weeks ago and center point had to come fix.  Only reason we found out is that our cable stopped working and the Comcast guy showed me the smoldering internet cable where our power line was trying to find ground.  Scary shit.  Apparently it’s fairly common down here due to the salt corrosion and wind.  

Good thing you got out of it with minimal damage.

just finished shutting off and draining my elderly neighbor as well.  Poor lady is an elder in her church but they always seem to forget her in times like these.    She didn’t have water for 3 months after the last freeze, so she wanted to play it safe as well.   Another good thing about these old houses is that they are easy to know URS fully drained.  Obviously low spigot.  Every time my wife opened a valve inside a rush of water would release  

23 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

When was the last major winter storm that affected so much of our country this time of year?

Was it the year Rudolf moved up from the minor league? Can someone dig up Burl Ives and ask him?

1989? Was 7 F in Houston. I was a kid but remember it well
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_1989_United_States_cold_wave#Texas

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Should we have a pool on when the power goes out in Austin?

Put me down for noon tomorrow.

I need to ask my oldest what time all the kids wake up and login to Minecraft, because that could be noticeable.

Kids at his school were scheduling Minecraft times, servers, etc.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

McKinney Falls Apartments and surrounding properties have been without power for 3 hours. 1300+ customers per austin outage map. Trailer park at 183/riverside also without power.

Only around 90,000 Texans without power right now.  Sucks if you are them, but not as bad as I thought with the high winds.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I probably have never mentioned that I hate cold weather.

If you are in a house built for cold weather, and are dressed for it, and you have city/county personnel who can handle the snow and ice, and you're not worried about your power grid going on the fritz or cheap-ass plumbing or electric poles with trees hanging over the lines, it's fine.  I would have no problem moving to New England, and the more weird weather shit we see in Austin, and as the hot summers continue, the closer I get to convincing my wife to make the move.

Because in this situation, up there we wouldn't be worried and somewhat watching the clock and the thermometer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Day started in NW Arkansas at 5:30am.

Being on I-40 when it plowed through Oklahoma at 7:30…and the subsequent 2.5 hours it took to get to the Red River dealing with wintry mix the entire time—(while hoping I didn’t end up in the ditch like numerous vehicles I saw, or the nasty rollover I saw) is not something I aspire to do ever again. 

17 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Power just went out in cedar park

https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas

Around 6,000 or so currently.

https://poweroutage.us/area/county/1495

Zoom in on this and it looks like most are around 183

https://outages.pec.coop/outage/

Friend up there says they had an outage earlier, guess it was this one:

• Hook 'Em 1

Got an HEB curbside pick up in about a half hour. I know they have a "no tipping" policy, but that seems like bullshit on a morning like this. This Cedar Park resident never lost power but I'm seeing that friends 1/2 mile away weren't as lucky. Next door neighbors who are out of town texted last night & asked me to turn off their water at the street. They've got a pet sitter stopping by to feed their cat & they'll bleed the inside line this morning. Team Drip doing fine here. Stay warm, everyone. 

19 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

1700 homes without electricity since 1:00 AM in The Woodlands High School vicinity.  Fortunately not at my house, at least not yet.  Fuck Greg Abbott.

While I agree on the last statement, current problems are all on the transmission side - not the generation side.  Should be localized and quicker to fix.

But things are getting tight on the supply side this AM.

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Got an HEB curbside pick up in about a half hour. I know they have a "no tipping" policy, but that seems like bullshit on a morning like this. This Cedar Park resident never lost power but I'm seeing that friends 1/2 mile away weren't as lucky. Next door neighbors who are out of town texted last night & asked me to turn off their water at the street. They've got a pet sitter stopping by to feed their cat & they'll bleed the inside line this morning. Team Drip doing fine here. Stay warm, everyone. 

Never lost power over here in CP (620/el salido) but we also never did during the big ass storm in ‘21 either. 

I slept on the couch next to the Xmas tree as my eldest decided she wanted to hunker down with mom last night. Not a bad nights sleep considering the cats used me as their own personal heat source as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

1700 homes without electricity since 1:00 AM in The Woodlands High School vicinity.  Fortunately not at my house, at least not yet.  Fuck Greg Abbott.

Its Entergy,not ERCOT so fuck Louisiana...  I'm just south of that area and have been getting power "hickups" all morning but not enough to trip on the generator...