2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

Team Drip doing well, so far. 

On the gas conversation, there is some truth that there are a bunch of stripper wells out there that are barely profitable that don’t support modern winterization from a financial standpoint. But the take that gas companies aren’t financially incentivized to weatherize after Feb 2021 is silly. Companies that got all their gas to market in Feb made an absolute killing. Companies absolutely winterized after, just not in the way the government was trying to mandate. 

This event isn’t an apples to apples comparison with Feb, but getting gas to market in a high pricing environment is a pretty good incentive to fix what went wrong last time and the lack of flow disruption, so far, is good evidence of that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Okie State said:
21 hours ago, HenryJames said:
Fuck was she watering the lawn in December anyway?

My neighbor waters twice a day every day of the year. Insanity. But hey, his grass is green so worth it.

But that's just it, it's not worth it.  Not remotely worth it.  Between waste-water averaging and the system damage, it's a huge loss actually.  Nevermind the fact somebody is gonna die on that curb this week.  I've posted this before, I'm good at carpentry and electrical.  But I suck at plumbing.  But I know how to do three things-clean a J-trap, fix a fill valve/assembly on a toilet, and shut the fucking sprinkler line off come first freeze.  How the fuck do Texans not do this?  It's one thing to have plumbing go sideways because we don't insulate our shit here, but everybody with a sprinkler system?  Shut that shit off especially if you're going outta town.  Looking at you, my nextdoor neighbor to the South who went to Los Angeles for two weeks and I'm stuck shutting your shit off, dripping your pipes, wrapping your exterior faucets, and flushing your furnace.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Just got back to my house from my in-laws, turned my water back on and holy hell my pipes had some sediment in them!20221225_220313.thumb.jpg.9d5744a7cbce5a32625d624a7c9dd44a.jpg

No leaky pipes though so hooray! I had to run all the faucets for a couple minutes to clear the lines, but all back to normal now

Do you live in Folsom Prison?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Do y'all drip your faucets during a freeze? I didn't this storm, and sure enough Day 4 without running water is upon me. 

Cover the in-wall spigot on the south side of the house, drip and create a wind break for the spigot on the north side that has an exposed pipe. I also try to insulate the exposed pipe as best I can, but the geniuses that owned the house before me appear to have installed this north spigot after construction, which is why it is exposed, and I can't get the screws out to properly insulate it, so it is a yearly thing until what I have done falls off. I have to more than drip that one, though, and let it run a very, very small stream. If I drip, I'm out there with a hair dryer every morning.

I also drip the inside faucets that have any exposure to outside walls and open cabinet doors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Do y'all drip your faucets during a freeze? I didn't this storm, and sure enough Day 4 without running water is upon me. 

If it drops below 20 or so, I’ll drip a faucet in the far end of the house. This weather I dripped several. I also wrap and cover outside spigots and rotate hand warmers in them. It’s always worked fine, but this cold spell got one of the outside spigots so I spent an hour or so Christmas Eve under the house fixing it. Luckily it popped before Home Depot closed. I am going to stock up on some different size caps now because it would have sucked if it went an hour later after everything had closed.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

Any City of Houston folks on here without water? 

I just got off the phone COH and they finally admitted that water distribution pipes are frozen. Nothing on the news. No statement from the mayor. Nice folks. They spent the last 3 days trying to convince my wife are our home's pipes were frozen. 

4 hours ago, Eastwood said:

Cover the in-wall spigot on the south side of the house, drip and create a wind break for the spigot on the north side that has an exposed pipe. I also try to insulate the exposed pipe as best I can, but the geniuses that owned the house before me appear to have installed this north spigot after construction, which is why it is exposed, and I can't get the screws out to properly insulate it, so it is a yearly thing until what I have done falls off. I have to more than drip that one, though, and let it run a very, very small stream. If I drip, I'm out there with a hair dryer every morning.

I also drip the inside faucets that have any exposure to outside walls and open cabinet doors.

6F9315BD-89A2-4959-B9A2-4BD91E83599F.thumb.jpeg.7b57c5e6f1e0642fde1c2ceb1fa45cd7.jpeg

Oh, ye of little faith….

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Took my kids to the park this afternoon.  Would have loved to have a hammock handy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tension+hammock&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS940US940&sxsrf=ALiCzsagGUpD3OmuQa4B4Ho73VpPji3hKg:1672835360740&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjV7sar9a38AhUPnXIEHQ70CC8Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1366&bih=695&dpr=1#spd=2058899507094321973

I keep one of these in my truck and one on my motorcycle; compact and awesome.

• Like 1