2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like serious rain in Austin on Tuesday.  I hope it pans out.  I know it's winter, but all the flora looks extra sad right now.  And i had to explain to yet another neighbor kid what happened to their cat.  Raccoons and coyotes get thirsty.  And blood carries more water than an exterior faucet drip.

With wastewater averaging and high utility costs right now, we're really not that far away from it being cheaper to feed plants Gatorade versus water.  I remember being one of like 9 people that saw "Idiocracy" in the theater and thinking it was too hyperbolic even for Mike Judge.  In hindsight, he wasn't even close to accurate on how dumb we'd get  this fast.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

With wastewater averaging and high utility costs right now, we're really not that far away from it being cheaper to feed plants Gatorade versus water.  I remember being one of like 9 people that saw "Idiocracy" in the theater and thinking it was too hyperbolic even for Mike Judge.  In hindsight, he wasn't even close to accurate on how dumb we'd get  this fast.  

Not a movie as much as a goddamn prediction that may have undershot by several hundred years.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Bout half an inch on the ground in Amarillo. 3-5” expected.

We need every bit of moisture we can get. It’s 28 degrees, so not real nasty out.  Tonight will probably have pretty slick roads out there.

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

Sounds ugly

No wind and not really a hard freeze in past 24 hours?  I’ll take it in a heartbeat.

Tomorrow morning will likely be slicker’n hell,  if we don’t get some sunshine this afternoon.

Edited by slorch

31 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

That woke me up. Didn't know about the hail.  It’s raining like a MFer here now. 

Wild as shit.   I thought it was the giant raccoon sized possum that runs through our neighborhood running across my roof.  Went to look out back and nickel to quarter sized hail is pounding the patio non-stop for 10 minutes before the rain even started 

15 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

This was yesterday morning, just getting around to posting. How can they be this wrong about low temp forecast? And also, crazy how much colder it gets at my house than even a couple miles away.

BA023E57-4883-408F-A8F9-8A43850F2F67.thumb.jpeg.b02581140f5fb98ff401350dc0c54e2b.jpeg
DF374022-DB9B-4F9F-8D7D-F26ADE8C06AC.thumb.jpeg.39e4cf75cbc7d65e09c8723caea072b5.jpeg

Shitty pic, but 23 degrees at my house

They weren't.

Those forecasts are for a large area, and must be averaged. If I had to guess, you are in a lower area which gets significantly colder. Local mets hammer on that point anytime Austin gets close to freezing. See tweet below from that morning:

Also notice how the station they are using for Austin is measuring 37.

And just for one last data point, here is the weather station in my back yard for that morning. 33.1

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 7.55.06 AM.png

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Am I reading that right? Prediction of 2 inches of snow for Lubbock area?

The top (pink) one is accumulated frozen rain, not snow. (shitshow Icepocalypse).

The one I posted is snow accumulation, which would have LBK at 20 inches.

Edited by UnivTex34

16 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

The top (pink) one is accumulated frozen rain, not snow. (shitshow Icepocalypse).

The one I posted is snow accumulation, which would have LBK at 20 inches.

The legend calls out 10:1 inches, so I read that as 2" not 20, which I believe is how slorch is reading it as well.

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

The legend calls out 10:1 inches, so I read that as 2" not 20, which I believe is how slorch is reading it as well.

The person that posted presented it as 20 inches and not 2. I've actually never seen it present that way with 10 to 1 (seems really pointless), but I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

Just now, UnivTex34 said:

Aha, that is not 10 to 1 on what is being presented on the graph. It ids the standard snowfall to liquid ratio. This is per PivotalWeather.com

So that is 20 inches and not 2.

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 11.59.46 AM.png

Ah thanks, that makes sense.

So... wow, that's a lot of snowfall predicted for Lubbock and many surrounding areas.  

20 fucking inches of snow in Lubbock... and other sites are saying smattering of ice on Tuesday and wintry mix with minimal accumulations on Thursday.

Ain't fucking happening.

The all-time record for Lubbock snowfall in a single day still stands at 11.4 inches back on January 20, 1983. The most snowfall recorded in a 24-hour period in Lubbock occurred from January 20-21, 1983 at 16.3 inches.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, slorch said:

20 fucking inches of snow in Lubbock... and other sites are saying smattering of ice on Tuesday and wintry mix with minimal accumulations on Thursday.

Ain't fucking happening.

The all-time record for Lubbock snowfall in a single day still stands at 11.4 inches back on January 20, 1983. The most snowfall recorded in a 24-hour period in Lubbock occurred from January 20-21, 1983 at 16.3 inches.

Calm down and read what I said. 

its a single model, a week out. 

is it likely? Doubtful. Can you completely discount it? Nope.

this is also total accumulation not in a single day.

This is the same model that got the 2021 freeze dead on. Quite a few folks Said the same thing about that one.

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Like 1