2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

43 minutes ago, boknowstecmo said:

The air above will be cold enough to freeze the rain and the ice rain will fall fast enough that it will accumulate before it can melt. Basically.

Pssh. Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. Or a Megaman villain. 

Edited by Biff Tannen

It already seems to be colder than what 'they' were predicting.  I was thinking it would be mid 40's this morning, cooling to the 30's tonight.  Well it was 35 this morning.  So I had to move some plants into the garage this morning.  Next couple of days will be interesting.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, miguelito said:

It already seems to be colder than what 'they' were predicting.  I was thinking it would be mid 40's this morning, cooling to the 30's tonight.  Well it was 35 this morning.  So I had to move some plants into the garage this morning.  Next couple of days will be interesting.

Yeah.  Just yesterday they had the overnight low for last night at 35 and the high for today at 37.  It was 27 this morning and the high for today now down to 31.  So anything that falls out of the sky is going to freeze and stick to whatever it hits.  Already started with a freezing mist up here in Waco.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ain't nobody going into the office this week!

But its the first in-person team huddle of the year on Wednesday!  Definitely not a cudgel to try and trick people into coming into the office more permanently after being full WFH for 2.5 years.

Already had my excuse gun loaded, but Mother Nature may take the lead for me.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Since AISD hasn't had a weather closure or delay this academic year, I expect them to pull the trigger tomorrow if there's the slightest chance at iffy road conditions.

I'm pretty surprised them and the districts north/west had not announced early release, even with the info from last night. Will be real interesting now that the timeline has moved forward so quickly.

Probably helps that it's still bone dry right now.  Evening precips gonna get freezy and sticky.  Tuesday I'd say gets school canceled.  Wednesday is a toss-up.  Thursday back to normal life.  Also, the rest of the state to our south just got the cold front in the last few hours.  So let's not start sucking ERCOT's dick yet.  Long ways to go.  And no, I don't consider the most energy abundant state in human history keeping the heat on at 30 degrees to be a miracle of any sort.  For many consecutive days in single digits, then yes...that's a thing.  

Also, where the cuss is PhDhorn when we need him most?  I'm listening to one weather guy after another covering his ass for underestimating the strength and timing of this front and he nails it time and time again.  

Edited by YGIFS
sending out bat signal to him...

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Does this seriously not happen enough that we can't prepare for it? It's an annual event now. 

How do you suggest we prepare for this annual event? Please show your work with the cost benefit analysis on keeping the roads clear. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I used to think we should get more salt trucks and plows for our uninsulated flyovers and shit.  But in the end, maintaining that fleet for a couple days a year doesn't make sense.  People can always stay home.  It may be tough, it beats the shit outta the alternative.  What many come back to is...fine we can't drive out there and schools may shut down...but could you do this weird thing for vulnerable citizens who overpay for abundant energy in our blessed state---could you keep the fucking heat on?  

Can I turn in Public/Energy officials for $10,000 bounty for being corrupt pieces of shit?

Our overpasses are built differently-above ground; and we don't have snow chains for our school busses.  we get it.  A couple snow days we can handle.  I pay insane amounts for a grid as unreliable as that of Nicaragua.  And yes, tomorrow morning, we will be scrambling as a city to provide enough warm beds for homeless folks.  But did we buy $100,000 worth of attachments for our plow and salt trucks so they'd extend over into the bike lines of Austin?  Yes, yes we did.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2

I have a H-E-B curbside order scheduled for pick up at 3:00 today. I’m debating on whether or not to just cancel it. Im sure the locusts will clear out every store from here to Houston within the next few hours. 

Just got back from the Far West HEB and they were still well stocked. It was busy but not crazy and I didn’t see people with palettes of water or any other dumb shit, so hopefully you’re fine.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, freyguy said:

First, we need to build more hike and bike trails.

Studies show that ice accumulates less on natural surfaces. Hike and Bike trails also have less elevated areas. We, the city of Austin, encourage everyone to walk through the sleet and snow to get to where you are going for your safety and to reduce greenhouse gases and global warming.

• Rage+1 3

6 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Well we wouldn't have to worry about icy roads if we would just install gondolas.

We mock what we don't understand:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/before-project-connect-austin-once-considered-a-gondola-public-transit-system/

Whoever the fucking website editor at KXAN is should be kicked squaw in the nuts.  I know it was probably already in the queue, but you know it wouldn't be weather-proofed and the first freeze of the year would snap the whole fucking thing to the ground.  I'm glad we ditched it, but not after we spent hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars studying the feasibility of it.  Gondolas, you know that thing that every other progressive city with volatile weather deploys as a mass-transit solution.  Oh wait.  

Pioneers take arrows in the back and also, the best evidence that something can be done is that somebody has already done it.  The Gondola solution should have been in the latter category.  Nobody employs it at scale because of all the last-mile issues and space limitations it involves.  

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

We mock what we don't understand:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/before-project-connect-austin-once-considered-a-gondola-public-transit-system/

Whoever the fucking website editor at KXAN is should be kicked squaw in the nuts.  I know it was probably already in the queue, but you know it wouldn't be weather-proofed and the first freeze of the year would snap the whole fucking thing to the ground.  I'm glad we ditched it, but not after we spent hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars studying the feasibility of it.  Gondolas, you know that thing that every other progressive city with volatile weather deploys as a mass-transit solution.  Oh wait.  

Pioneers take arrows in the back and also, the best evidence that something can be done is that somebody has already done it.  The Gondola solution should have been in the latter category.  Nobody employs it at scale because of all the last-mile issues and space limitations it involves.  

Not saying it's not a good idea, but I believe we'll get gondolas right after we get a loop and an NFL team.

• Haha 2