2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Am I the only person who thinks everyone is overreacting to this? Forecast doesn't even have it getting below freezing. 

You are not the only one. I keep checking the temperature forecast and thinking “What the fuck is everyone freaking out about?” 

I don't hear many freaking about.  The real feel in my backyard is 29* though.  I brought the planters in and covered the in-ground stuff and covered the faucets.  Usual drill.  Tomorrow morning will be a little colder with much more precip so if busses can't run and mom's in giant SUV's cant drive correctly, fuck it---snow day.  I don't give a shit either way, just keep the power flowing.  Got plenty of firewood and water.  It does sound like our fellow Texans farther north are taking this a little bit more personally based on the news footage.  2021 left a bad taste in everyone's mouth...gonna be stay that way for a few years until we move onto the next thing like lack of water or a nuclear accident.  

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I don't hear many freaking about.  The real feel in my backyard is 29* though.  I brought the planters in and covered the in-ground stuff and covered the faucets.  Usual drill.  Tomorrow morning will be a little colder with much more precip so if busses can't run and mom's in giant SUV's cant drive correctly, fuck it---snow day.  I don't give a shit either way, just keep the power flowing.  Got plenty of firewood and water.  It does sound like our fellow Texans farther north are taking this a little bit more personally based on the news footage.  2021 left a bad taste in everyone's mouth...gonna be stay that way for a few years until we move onto the next thing like lack of water or a nuclear accident.  

Schools are calling it for tomorrow around NB and Seguin. Because it's gonna be 35 and rainy. 

11 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Am I the only person who thinks everyone is overreacting to this? Forecast doesn't even have it getting below freezing. 

Not everyone lives in the heart of the city. It's usually a good few degrees cooler in the burbs especially West and North of town. Check out wundermap right now at 1pm it's still 28 in parts of Williamson and Travis counties 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, texhorn said:

Not everyone lives in the heart of the city. It's usually a good few degrees cooler in the burbs especially West and North of town. Check out wundermap right now at 1pm it's still 28 in parts of Williamson and Travis counties 

Yeah, the urban heat pocket is doing its jam right now.  Every school district in a counter-clockwise circle around us is calling school for tomorrow.  Meanwhile, mine just sent out a solicitation for dads to come out and help teachers with dropoff so they can stay warm inside.  We usually do it every Friday but if school is one, happy to help tomorrow.  Cold don't bother me, shitty mom's on their phones in my drop off line bothers me.  Wednesday is the real question mark on whether the accumulation actually freeze and just stick or if it'll have a chance to runoff/evaporate during daylight hours so we can get the fuck back to normal?  

23 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

19 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

You are not the only one. I keep checking the temperature forecast and thinking “What the fuck is everyone freaking out about?” 

i don't fucking get it either.

i keep text my wife "what am i missing," checking my phone, getting more alerts of places closing, looking outside, i see nothing. a cold day in january. 

i mean, are we going to cancel over a cold rainy day? jesus. i don't even see it getting below 32. sure, that'll freeze some overpasses, maybe. 

delay school or cancel it, i don't really care. 

but i'm not at all ready for mass power outages or my gas heat going off. 

what the hell am i missing?

7 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

The issue is, it wasn't forecasted to be this cold yet, sounds like it is overachieving. So with that knowledge, forecasts are skewing colder. even with a tenth an inch of ice on everything is fucked.

this i get, and this should be the message.

but this is ominously reminiscent of that snow day aisd wouldn't cancel, then people couldn't get their kids because it started snowing at noon or whatever.

how is there not a fucking clearly eloquted (is that a word?) policy for this shit by now?

we fucking know this is going to happen a couple of times a year. put a fucking time and temp and precip or not on it and let's all move forward with our lives.

it's the fucking wishy-washy guessing i can't stand.

26 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

No, the only reason it's a concern at all is because we can't trust our electrical grid.  

I don't remember anyone giving a day like this a whole lot of thought before 2021.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i don't fucking get it either.

i keep text my wife "what am i missing," checking my phone, getting more alerts of places closing, looking outside, i see nothing. a cold day in january. 

i mean, are we going to cancel over a cold rainy day? jesus. i don't even see it getting below 32. sure, that'll freeze some overpasses, maybe. 

delay school or cancel it, i don't really care. 

but i'm not at all ready for mass power outages or my gas heat going off. 

what the hell am i missing?

The NWS put us under a Winter Storm Warning solely for chance of accumulation of ice on roads. Some weather models for the next couple of days show there will be ice forming on a lot of roads around Austin, mostly at night and into early morning. They want to avoid incidents like the 130 car crash in DFW in 2021. This morning, it got below freezing but we didn't get any precipitation. Great! This afternoon should be fine because we're going to be above freezing. Tonight and tomorrow it may get below freezing while it's raining. So, the NWS is taking precautions.  This whole thing is just for driving conditions. 

19 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, the urban heat pocket is doing its jam right now.  Every school district in a counter-clockwise circle around us is calling school for tomorrow.  Meanwhile, mine just sent out a solicitation for dads to come out and help teachers with dropoff so they can stay warm inside.  We usually do it every Friday but if school is one, happy to help tomorrow.  Cold don't bother me, shitty mom's on their phones in my drop off line bothers me.  Wednesday is the real question mark on whether the accumulation actually freeze and just stick or if it'll have a chance to runoff/evaporate during daylight hours so we can get the fuck back to normal?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

No, the only reason it's a concern at all is because we can't trust our electrical grid.  

I don't remember anyone giving a day like this a whole lot of thought before 2021.

you are right in that it had an excacerbating effect, but i've been taking shit from my london colleagues over aisd closing at the drop of a hat for more than a decade now.

it seems that no matter what the school district does, it hems and haws and drags its feet and ends up making the wrong decision anyways. fuck it. err on the side of caution if you are uncertain. cancel. just fucking make the decision so people can plan. also, understand that you aren't dallas or houston. we are austin. don't stay open just to stay open. this city can't handle it. talk to the surrounding districts, maybe. coordinate. plan. HAVE A PLAN. fuck. even if you don't, just make one. call it.

1 minute ago, boknowstecmo said:

The NWS put us under a Winter Storm Warning solely for chance of accumulation of ice on roads. Some weather models for the next couple of days show there will be ice forming on a lot of roads around Austin, mostly at night and into early morning. They want to avoid incidents like the 130 car crash in DFW in 2021. This morning, it got below freezing but we didn't get any precipitation. Great! This afternoon should be fine because we're going to be above freezing. Tonight and tomorrow it may get below freezing while it's raining. So, the NWS is taking precautions.  This whole thing is just for driving conditions. 

that all makes sense. 

but everything seems to be doing that heading south thing when you can sense things are wrong, you don't know why, but you just know.

when the messages are all mixed, its time to just cancel everything.

43 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

This is Surly. We all drive oversized pickup trucks and prepare our meals with ingredients found in vending machines and piss down our legs with any changes in the weather.

• Hook 'Em 1

DFW will be an unmitigated shit show on the roads by tonight tomorrow.  Right now the rain/sleet on the concrete here in NE Tarrant County still has a little "texture" to it from the sleet pellets but as that continues to get coated with more sleet/rain mix it's gonna smoove right out into a traffic butt fucking.  

34 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

There's not going to be a problem with the grid.  Houston isn't going to drop below 40.

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm amazed at the Twitter comments about people being pissed they haven't cancelled school.

Am I the only one that wants my kid to go? 

Our daycare cancels based on AISD. I'm kinda ok not having to work around my toddler for the next 2 days. 

We shall see how things turn out.

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm amazed at the Twitter comments about people being pissed they haven't cancelled school.

Am I the only one that wants my kid to go? 

I comment the same every time this happens…armies of (mostly women it seems) berating the Twitter/FB feeds of RRISD anytime there’s weather.  My conclusion is that they don’t have jobs.  

So I’m with you, I want my kids in school so I can work.  Feeling like it won’t be bad at all and my kids will be bouncing off the walls while I try to get shit done. 

Edited by Homercles

NWS Update:

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST
WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Significant icing expected. Total ice accumulations of a
quarter to three quarters of an inch will be possible.

* WHERE...Hill Country and the Austin metro area.

* WHEN...Until noon CST Wednesday.

* IMPACTS...Very hazardous travel conditions with any non-
emergency travel being discouraged. Numerous power outages
possible.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS....The heaviest accumulations will likely be
concentrated over the Hill Country, with up to three quarters of
an inch of ice is now possible.
Expires in 2 days.

9 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Surprised they didn’t call Wednesday too.  I’m just counting on two days

Well I think that IF things don't get bad tomorrow, then they'll leave Wednesday intact.

But if it DOES get bad enough to actually NEED to have canceled school on Tuesday, then they can always make that call for Wednesday, sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Regardless, we hit HEB this morning assuming both Tuesday and Wednesday would be canceled, so I made sure to get 5 pallets of bottled water, and a snack pack of Funyuns.

Edited by utee94

15 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Well I think that IF things don't get bad tomorrow, then they'll leave Wednesday intact.

But if it DOES get bad enough to actually NEED to have canceled school on Tuesday, then they can always make that call for Wednesday, sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Regardless, we hit HEB this morning assuming both Tuesday and Wednesday would be canceled, so I made sure to get 5 pallets of bottled water, and a snack pack of Funyuns.

Yeah, that seems like a good call. Let's see how bad tomorrow actually gets. Today is a nothing burger so far, but only because we haven't gotten any rain. 

Also, now I want some Funyuns. Also also, I hate spelling out Funyuns.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I comment the same every time this happens…armies of (mostly women it seems) berating the Twitter/FB feeds of RRISD anytime there’s weather.  My conclusion is that they don’t have jobs.  

So I’m with you, I want my kids in school so I can work.  Feeling like it won’t be bad at all and my kids will be bouncing off the walls while I try to get shit done. 

well my job's policy is we only get to work from home (in addition to our regular 2 days a week) if AISD cancels for weather. So if the kid ain't home, neither am I.

Whomp whomp