2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

Anyone on this site that didn’t go to HEB when they were time told was going to happen several days ago??? Fucked around and found out.

Bought a generator late last year when I finally saw a deal I liked.

got the transfer switch hooked up right after the Dec 23/Christmas freeze

finally stopped being lazy and got the cord to connect the two with 2 days to spare after seeing this thread last week.

thanks surly!

33947680-C067-4635-8D16-824E774EB4C1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Pics of said teachers that need help keeping warm?

Sadly the teachers at her school are what you think of when you think of school marms in terms of looks.  The principal, who is usually the more seasoned lady on campus, is barely 30 and smoking hot and has a penchant for tight pants.  But the two reasons I do dad drop off/crosswalk duty ever week is the the MILF's, and then something about my daughter seeing giving back to her school besides a booster check.  I'm only somewhat ashamed to admit that I've almost had some kids get hit at my intersections because I was gawking at yoga pants that had crossed prior.  This time of year is kind of a bummer they all wear long coats on their walks, but come 30 days from now...class is in session at MILF High.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

First day of back to school should be a national holiday, imo. 

Meh, I see what you're saying and I don't know about your schools...but August & September...all the mom's wear those side-vent athletic shorts with no hint of under-butt.  It's fine, but it's nothing to get stare at and get a kid hit by a car.  It's not until the Halloween candy goes out, the Pumpkin spice flows from the mines that the yoga pants come out in force.  Takes off Christmas to President's Day and then comes back strong to moderately strong. 

I saw a woman in a real fur coat just now at Trader Joe's stocking up for the freeze and I just looked at her like, 'They still fucking make people like you down South?'   

• Haha 1

Just now, YGIFS said:

Meh, I see what you're saying and I don't know about your schools...but August & September...all the mom's wear those side-vent athletic shorts with no hint of under-butt.  It's fine, but it's nothing to get stare at and get a kid hit by a car.  It's not until the Halloween candy goes out, the Pumpkin spice flows from the mines that the yoga pants come out in force.  Takes off Christmas to President's Day and then comes back strong to moderately strong. 

I saw a woman in a real fur coat just now at Trader Joe's stocking up for the freeze and I just looked at her like, 'They still fucking make people like you down South?'   

Yoga pants are a year round phenomena in my experience. And first day back to school, they are all really trying to show out.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

We covering/dripping pipes for this one or nah?

Cover, no drip, water main stays open.  At least that's my approach, and I will shut down the fucking water with any excuse.  I keep looking at the weather app and see it threatening to hit 31 as a low and am wondering what the big deal is?

For this, team cover with towels inside the 2 north and east facing faucets.  Don't touch your city water line.  I still have my sprinkler system completely off from last freeze, YMMV but I'd go ahead and do it today.  Even though they're below ground, remember the heads are are exposed and the piping they use is rated about as cold-tolerant as Paris Hilton on Maui (no idea what that means).  

Just at bedtime tonight and tomorrow night, open up cabinets on exterior facing faucets with no drip necessary and you can keep 'em closed during the day to keep kids and pets outta there.  Potted and in-ground plants, I move mine in garage or cover just 'cause of their species.  I'd bring in pets and in the morning...if you need to go anywhere or are expecting deliveries...be a good neighbor and throw a bit of salt down on your steps.  sidewalks are fine. 

The precip about to fall is going to freeze late tonight and Tuesday night.  Just a question of quick it melts during daylight hours.  Im guessing, and PhDhorn come back!.......that Wednesday daytime will be fine, but early morning, the ground and roads are still gonna be slick so most schools will say fuck it and just call it in the morning instead of having everybody come onto campus at 11am.    

43 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Tell me you don't live in Austin without telling me you don't live in Austin... 

But honestly here I don't really know that the temp will really dip below 30-28 degrees.... maybe I'll go out and wrap the spigots but I'm just not super worried.

I do live there.  And outside of Chicago seeing family for holidays, I can't remember the last time I saw a woman in a fur/mink.  I didn't even know that was still a thing, let alone in place where it rarely if ever gets below 40.  Maybe it was fake, but I think that would make it even more bizarre.  I'd like to think she packed up her $2 chuck and rosemary almonds in her steamer trunk and made off for Martinique.   

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yall are covering faucets? Seems like overkill given the temps.

I thought I should cover plants but the freeze in December him them hard even with covering. At this point I just don't care.

I went ahead covered mine (2/3 were actually still covered from December) but not planning on doing anything else.  Just not going to get cold enough this time thankfully.

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I do live there.  And outside of Chicago seeing family for holidays, I can't remember the last time I saw a woman in a fur/mink.  I didn't even know that was still a thing, let alone in place where it rarely if ever gets below 40.  Maybe it was fake, but I think that would make it even more bizarre.  I'd like to think she packed up her $2 chuck and rosemary almonds in her steamer trunk and made off for Martinique.   

Westlake?  Yeah... funny, I distinctly remember coming back to Houston from Austin in 1989 during the big freeze and seeing ladies in furs at Randall's?  These days... not so much in Austin unless you're at the Rollingwood Randall's maybe?  Definitely not across the street at TJ.

57 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

First day of back to school should be a national holiday, imo. 

One of my neighborhood buddies lives on the main walking route to the elementary school. One year several of the dads had an idea to have a mimosa and Bloody Mary party in his garage the first morning of school. Drop the kids off and stop in for a drink to celebrate! Our wives put the kibosh on our plan....bitches. 

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

Westlake?  Yeah... funny, I distinctly remember coming back to Houston from Austin in 1989 during the big freeze and seeing ladies in furs at Randall's?  These days... not so much in Austin unless you're at the Rollingwood Randall's maybe?  Definitely not across the street at TJ.

Yeah, the TJ's in Rollingwood.  Yeah, even at the nice HEB down the way and Central Market, you wouldn't expect it.  Whole Foods probably has a can of paint at the entrance that a cashier can throw on you if you walk in with one.  I guess I could see somebody at that WLH Randall's down Bee Caves, but not at Trader Joe's.  Again, maybe it's just synthetic or she's visiting from out of town, I dunno.  Just really stood out as weird to me.  I mean it's cold, but where do you even buy something like that these days?   

Yeah....we aren't having a deep freeze event here (it looks like it's barely getting to freezing).  So, the major risks of 2021 aren't in play.  This looks to be a garden-variety icing event, which we have probably 3 outta every 4 years.  A couple of days of things being shut down because of periodically slick streets and bridges, that's it.  Your pipes won't be bursting, the grid won't collapse (although local outages because of iced lines may be a thing).

13 minutes ago, Updawg said:

I’m filling up a bathtub right now. I still don’t trust austin water.

Not worried about pipes since they are still covered from the last freeze and I don’t think it will be cold enough even if they weren’t wrapped

Man, don't jinx it.  Austin Water is just due for a fuckup.  Ah well, the year is young and full of dehydrated terrors.  

14 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

It's a fucking mess in Denton. Glad I stocked up yesterday.

Yea been shit and luckily my flight got cancelled but it didn't stop from my boss from asking me to still go to DFW and try standby. Motherfucker you are in Atlanta please stfu about me going anywhere

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1