2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

My mother in law has been visiting since January 7. Her flight back to Albuquerque today was canceled yesterday, so we rescheduled for the same time on Wednesday. Which I'm sure will shortly be canceled. We'll have better luck playing pickup sticks with our butt cheeks than we will getting her a flight back to New Mexico by Friday.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

With the boys at home, I think I'll voluntarily go drive on Ben White by tomorrow afternoon.

Watch for pedestrians. There's more by the day with more and more tents everywhere along Ben White. Shit's especially bad early in the morning while it's still dark. No good. 

I drove from 360/2222 to Georgetown this morning before traffic started.

There were people spinning/sliding on every bridge I crossed. That is not an exaggeration, it was literally every bridge I crossed no matter how short/long/tall.

I just slowed down every time I approached a bridge  and avoided the huge flyover from Toll45 to NB IH 35 and had no problem keeping myself straight, but several of the idiots driving too fast over the bridges almost slid into me.

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

I figured schools would be closed Tues/Wed.  Here’s hoping that doesn’t extend into Thursday…after 2-3 days of kids cooped up they’re safer on icy roads than at home with their burned out parents 

Speak for yourself there, Chet.  /teacher

In all honesty, it's nice to be off, but I'd rather be with my class.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

My mother in law has been visiting since January 7. Her flight back to Albuquerque today was canceled yesterday, so we rescheduled for the same time on Wednesday. Which I'm sure will shortly be canceled. We'll have better luck playing pickup sticks with our butt cheeks than we will getting her a flight back to New Mexico by Friday.

hahaha

1 hour ago, UnivTex34 said:

He's been MIA for a while. Since before TGiving. He has done this before, where he takes long breaks.

why has he forsaken us in our darkest weather hours?  He spends all of the triple digits days of July and August forecasting like Roosevelt E. Roosevelt in Saigon, "What's the weather like?  You got a window?  Open it!  It's hot alright, damn hot!  Were you born on the sun?  It's damn hot.  I saw a little man in a orange robe just burst into flames."  Then comes January where it's 85 one day with a drought and the next day the invent something called freezing Thundersleet.  These are the months we need him!  

35 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Watch for pedestrians. There's more by the day with more and more tents everywhere along Ben White. Shit's especially bad early in the morning while it's still dark. No good. 

This.  I feel experienced enough in elements like this to drive in, but over decades of cold weather driving...everybody's gonna hit a curb or two.  But in Austin, between the Panhandlers and homeless camps...that can mean taking out a few people even at low speeds.  I remember 2021 Snowpocallypse...going to that Randall's on Ben White and watching a guy take a left onto Manchaca and sure enough, too fast, he barreled into that encampment.  Nobody was seriously hurt.  He was accelerating from a dead stop so partially his fault but also who the fuck camps 18" from the shoulder? 

Adler's brilliant "Pedestrian Vision Zero" program from a years back was such idiocy.  I mean, I love the idea but his two biggest pillars of it were to allow roadside camping (I guess if you're sleeping on the sidewalk, you're not a pedestrian"  and the other was to turn the streetlamps over most sidewalks off to reduce light pollution.  Because walking around East Austin entertainment district with no lights on at midnight is such a good idea, Steve (noCR).  Oh my, look all the stars up there...OH SHIT!!!!!

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Just went to the HEB on Burnet and the produce was pretty much picked over, but the meat section was still decently stocked and I manged to get enough for kids' lunches and dinners through Thursday. 

I was there at 4:30 yesterday. Produce was already gone then. 

Cashier said the local daycares closed at noon and called all the parents to pick up their kids. Said the lines starting from after noon was crazy. It was a shitshow @ 4:30pm yesterday. I can't imagine how bad it was around 1pm.

1 hour ago, ftf82 said:

Ngapa GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

why has he forsaken us in our darkest weather hours?  He spends all of the triple digits days of July and August forecasting like Roosevelt E. Roosevelt in Saigon, "What's the weather like?  You got a window?  Open it!  It's hot alright, damn hot!  Were you born on the sun?  It's damn hot.  I saw a little man in a orange robe just burst into flames."  Then comes January where it's 85 one day with a drought and the next day the invent something called freezing Thundersleet.  These are the months we need him!  

This.  I feel experienced enough in elements like this to drive in, but over decades of cold weather driving...everybody's gonna hit a curb or two.  But in Austin, between the Panhandlers and homeless camps...that can mean taking out a few people even at low speeds.  I remember 2021 Snowpocallypse...going to that Randall's on Ben White and watching a guy take a left onto Manchaca and sure enough, too fast, he barreled into that encampment.  Nobody was seriously hurt.  He was accelerating from a dead stop so partially his fault but also who the fuck camps 18" from the shoulder? 

Adler's brilliant "Pedestrian Vision Zero" program from a years back was such idiocy.  I mean, I love the idea but his two biggest pillars of it were to allow roadside camping (I guess if you're sleeping on the sidewalk, you're not a pedestrian"  and the other was to turn the streetlamps over most sidewalks off to reduce light pollution.  Because walking around East Austin entertainment district with no lights on at midnight is such a good idea, Steve (noCR).  Oh my, look all the stars up there...OH SHIT!!!!!

I want to say over the last 6 months (give or take) there's been 3 pedestrian fatalities on Ben White between 35 and the Westgate area. And that does not include the guy who jumped off the Congress bridge onto Ben White last week, setting himself on fire in doing so, and ruining the lives of people driving the westbound 3 cars that hit him. 

Another thread. Shit's a mess on Ben White, in multiple ways. Just have to be really, really careful when driving it. 

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Somehow I think y'all are missing the point of my desire to take a drive somewhere, anywhere... 

• Like 1