2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Beat me to it.

That's why PhD is dialing back his presence -- he knows we'll come for him when Austin turns into Ice Station Zebra next winter and we all have to gut our Tauntauns.  We see what you're doing here.

We only have one Tauntaun and I ain't getting up in them guts.

download (2).png

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Not sure. Far enough to sustain life threatening injuries, so must be a pretty nasty fall.

If you're going to jump off an overpass, make sure it's one with plenty of homeless people under it to break your fall. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That “s” is most important, because otherwise, if it’s in the wrong place, you get the wrong website

https://southaustinmoms.com

^^^ probably would raise more money as an Onlyfans.

Then again, as I understand it, most every website would.  The internet is a pretty damn consistent place.

29 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

How are you ladies holding up? Do we need to send you down some heat?

Nah, but 10 sanding trucks would do. Hell, I’m actually surprised some enterprising northern city hasn’t rented out a fleet of of their usual crews to come down south for events like this. Y’all likely wouldn’t miss them and could probably have a nice little addition to the cities coffers.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

We can't even get other states to send us electricity when people literally die after a week with no power, how're we gonna get a luxury like sand trucks? 

But yeah, i've often wondered why you can't just issue some executive order freeing up some funds and rail line access and throw 50 sand trucks, 100 plows, and a dozen de-icing machines for airports from Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, and Colorado onto flatbed rail.  Drop 'em in DFW, then Houston, then Austin & San Antonio for last-mile dispersal.  There's enough guys down here checked out on that equipment, they just don't have the vehicles.  Bring a few dozen operators down too I guess, hotel and airfare is a drop in the bucket to what we spend to get outta these storms.  Maybe let them enjoy women who've shaved their legs in the last 60 days not in sweatpants

Interstate disaster networks exist like this but we never seem to be involved with them unless we're helping coastal flooding, etc.  I guess it's because Texans take care of Texans which is true...but Texas grit can't take off an airplane wing or salt a 200' overpass.  You need trucks and we don't have nearly enough.  I get not spending money on all that shit to have sitting around 350 days a year, every other year.  Nevermind training the maintenance crews.  But have a baked in network, we see the storm is coming to wreck DFW, within 48 hours...those trucks and plows and de-icing machines are down here awaiting deployment.  

"Nah man, we can take care of it...we don't need no Yankee plows down here showing us how to handle the elements"---says Metroplex man about to pour pitcher of scalding hot water onto his iced-over F-150 windshield to make it to work on time.  

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

DFW is picking up a now, hopefully I get out of here at 7 tonight. 121 wasn't that bad but the ramps to the terminals were shit. Time to get drunk until boarding or cancellation

Welp didn't make it out. Drinking at the Hyatt at DFW. Hotel bar is packed but I see no hookers. This winter storm sucks

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

We can't even get other states to send us electricity when people literally die after a week with no power, how're we gonna get a luxury like sand trucks? 

But yeah, i've often wondered why you can't just issue some executive order freeing up some funds and rail line access and throw 50 sand trucks, 100 plows, and a dozen de-icing machines for airports from Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, and Colorado onto flatbed rail.  Drop 'em in DFW, then Houston, then Austin & San Antonio for last-mile dispersal.  There's enough guys down here checked out on that equipment, they just don't have the vehicles.  Bring a few dozen operators down too I guess, hotel and airfare is a drop in the bucket to what we spend to get outta these storms.  Maybe let them enjoy women who've shaved their legs in the last 60 days not in sweatpants

Interstate disaster networks exist like this but we never seem to be involved with them unless we're helping coastal flooding, etc.  I guess it's because Texans take care of Texans which is true...but Texas grit can't take off an airplane wing or salt a 200' overpass.  You need trucks and we don't have nearly enough.  I get not spending money on all that shit to have sitting around 350 days a year, every other year.  Nevermind training the maintenance crews.  But have a baked in network, we see the storm is coming to wreck DFW, within 48 hours...those trucks and plows and de-icing machines are down here awaiting deployment.  

"Nah man, we can take care of it...we don't need no Yankee plows down here showing us how to handle the elements"---says Metroplex man about to pour pitcher of scalding hot water onto his iced-over F-150 windshield to make it to work on time.  

It's about states rights you fucking libtard!!!!

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I don’t care what happens so long as my 6yo goes to school Thursday.  The 9yo is cool as shit and we can hang, but his sister is not made for snow days. 

Speaking of, any thoughts on school in the Austin area for Thursday? The morning is looking real dicey, so I'm assuming a two-hour delay at minimum. 

Our district leadership told me the plan as of about 5pm today, was no school Wednesday and 1-3 hour delay on Thursday.  He wasn't worried about the dropoff and busses locally, but rather his hundreds of employees and staffs who average 45 minute commutes on a good day.  

Just drove home from DFW to Ft Worth, we've had worse winter storms but I can't remember the roads ever being this bad. That was dicey as fuck.

The south exit of DFW should be closed, that shit was a skating rink. I was about 60% sure I was gonna slide right off the road at one point, but I was able to save it and straighten out.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Get woken up because our power flickered a few times, and holy shit it won’t stop raining.

And it’s a serious downpour.

Austin in a few hours.

Contestants Bumper Cars GIF by Miss America

56 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I thought it was lightning out there, but nope—it’s just the flashes of transformers exploding.

21 minutes ago, Footballpants said:

Yup. Just lost power in 78746. Lovely. 

Shiiit that sucks. In the 44 but on a hospital grid (apparently). 

Mom is in the 45 - wonder how she's doing. 

Edited by ztejas

57 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I thought it was lightning out there, but nope—it’s just the flashes of transformers exploding.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Shiiit that sucks. In the 44 but on a hospital grid (apparently). 

We are on a hospital grid or whatever but the people a block over are not, and I got woken up again just now because a transformer over there blew and I can see they don’t have power.  

Austin Energy is up to nearly 40,000 without power and holy fuck from what little time I spent outside just now there were icicles all over the power lines.  

Us being on the hospital grid won’t matter tonight/this morning   Shitload of lines are coming down in the next few hours   

Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We are on a hospital grid or whatever but the people a block over are not, and I got woken up again just now because a transformer over there blew and I can see they don’t have power.  

Austin Energy is up to nearly 40,000 without power and holy fuck from what little time I spent outside just now there were icicles all over the power lines.  

Us being on the hospital grid won’t matter tonight/this morning   Shitload of lines are coming down in the next few hours   

Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

Main issue now is I'm almost out of booze.