2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

I don’t think I’ve ever heard this many transformers blowing or arcing or whatever.  Officially at 66,700.  At least the rain slowed down.  That may help slow down ice accumulation on the trees and lines.  Just need it to warm up a few degrees.  

edit counting the other power companies in the area they are up to about 86,000.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

Went outside to grab firewood, and counted 9 different limbs/trees cracking and falling within a minute. Sounds like a war zone.

Driveway and street in front of my house are still just wet, not ice. Damn yard is one giant puddle. If this were 2-3 degrees colder, I’d be in trouble.

14 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Went outside to grab firewood, and counted 9 different limbs/trees cracking and falling within a minute. Sounds like a war zone.

Driveway and street in front of my house are still just wet, not ice. Damn yard is one giant puddle. If this were 2-3 degrees colder, I’d be in trouble.

I’m in 78748 also and already hear a chainsaw running outside.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Hey - quick fucking PSA - despite the anecdotal evidence don't start driving around Austin. Drive around enough today and you will hit ice and you will fuck either your own day up or someone else's or both. This isn't one of those situations where everyone is overreacting and being a pussy this is one of those situations where the margins are very thin and everything looks awesome until it isn't and you kill someone's grandma. 

Thanks. 

As a Texpat who has spent decades living in a place with real winter weather:  ITS STOPPING, not going, that is the hard part in icy weather. 

None of y’all have proper winter tires and your 4x4 system and big pick up don’t mean shit when you hit the brakes.  Stay home until the temps get up and you get a proper melt. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Hey - quick fucking PSA - despite the anecdotal evidence don't start driving around Austin. Drive around enough today and you will hit ice and you will fuck either your own day up or someone else's or both. This isn't one of those situations where everyone is overreacting and being a pussy this is one of those situations where the margins are very thin and everything looks awesome until it isn't and you kill someone's grandma. 

Thanks. 

Weren’t you, just an hour ago, hoping for a work cancellation because you’re still drunk and not interested in navigating the streets?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Weren’t you, just an hour ago, hoping for a work cancellation because you’re still drunk and not interested in navigating the streets?

I'm failing to understand the "gotcha" here. I was never going to work today. 

Maybe your sarcasm meter needs adjusting? 

Edited by ztejas

I was in the 2000 kansas city ice storm where we got almost 1 inch  like 13/16th of an inch of ice on everything and it took the city 8 days to restore my power in the middle of the city, and in the meantime the streets looked like a mega warzone with whole sides of trees laying on the ground

Drove from NW Austin to Georgetown this morning. The roads are really just wet from rain. The rain has basically melted most of the ice on the bridges and turned it to soft slush, but there are still a few patches of real ice. The ice laden oak trees are the a real danger because they are hanging all over the roadways, so slow down if you are on a tree lined street/neighborhood.

Seems like we got so much more ice over a shorter amount of time than in Feb. 2021, and it’s weighing down trees and lines all over the city. I’m not sure why else there’s a wider spread of outages this quickly. Based on the Austin Energy outage map, I don’t see my power coming on this morning anytime soon.

Here in cedar park I walked outside for five minutes to inspect my own situation…during which I saw two huge branches fall of neighbors trees and hear an ominous buzzing every 90 seconds.  I know what PhD said about once-in-a-thousand-years but I’m still getting major snowvid flashbacks from the ice alone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Seems like we got so much more ice over a shorter amount of time than in Feb. 2021, and it’s weighing down trees and lines all over the city. I’m not sure why else there’s a wider spread of outages this quickly. Based on the Austin Energy outage map, I don’t see my power coming on this morning anytime soon.

Yep. Ice is falling all over my place. Another transformer just blew. I don’t plan on having power til at least tomorrow. 

Lots of crackling sounds in 78730, but the power's holding on, so far.

Stay off the roads, people.  I don't care if you're pretty sure you can make it.  The only things that ought to be on the roads today are power trucks and first responders.  Get out of their way.

Edited by TexArcher

Morning... well I'll leave out the "this is bad" talk because this is bad. Why it happened weatherwise I'll also skip over for now, but the bar ate us on this one. It's still gonna get worse in NW Texas today, but we have our own problems.

So here's today weatherwise for Austin and immediate surroundings (N and W will be worse):
- First the good(?) news is that this heavy band of rain is clearing the area to the NE. So at least for a few hours the ice won't get much worse. The bad news is another round should happen later today and tonight. How bad it'll be simply is how the temps fare.
- Also, there is warm air slowly working its way up from the SW, and actually the heavier rain is dragging down warmer air above the cold layer. Hopefully these will cause temps to rise - but I'm not sure fast and wide enough.
- Temps will rise actually into tonight for these (and other reasons), and most of us should actually be above freezing by wakeup tomorrow.  But of course that means we have to get through today. It's not going to be fun. More and more stuff will break, power lost, etc. 

In this case, we didn't get much help to keep this from being a destructive storm. Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes... 

I'll be back later if weather merits it... oh yeah I've lost big parts of (for now and counting) 3 trees, all cedar. I'm gonna need a bigger chainsaw.

• Hook 'Em 4