2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Just lost spectrum internet for the 2nd time. Wife is freaking out because she had a 6 hr teams call scheduled for today. I told her with 150,000+ without power she's not going to be missed on the call.

Does neither of you have a hotspot on your phone as a backup network?

5 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That would have been plan b. Cable's back. I was mainly pointing out to her that people without power entirely are in far worse shape & anyone with a brain would reschedule given the situation.

Yeah, not sure why anyone would expect decent participation via remote workers in Austin today.  I rescheduled almost all of my calls, except for the one with part of my team in India that's occurring right now.

The drive in to downtown wasn't bad.  There is a bit of ice on some of the bridges, but the roadways are fine.  I think it just rained so goddamned hard overnight that it was impossible for any ice to form on the roads.

Oh, and by the way--props to the half-dozen people I saw on bicycles riding around downtown.  That's a special kind of stupid/dedicated/insane.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I have to go into the office, as I have no power and a hearing today. So I can’t do my Zoom hearing from home (unless I want to go do it from my car). So I’ll report on the roads from downtown after a while.

My associate attorney lives downtown (Seaholm area) and said they don’t have power there. Good luck. 

2 minutes ago, gurt said:

Can those of you who drove into work today name your employers?  Would like to avoid ever working for them.

There’s a thread on Reddit about that. The biggest headscratcher was Juice Land. Who the fuck wants a smoothie right now?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Power just came back on after an hour without. Can hear tree limbs cracking. 

Not all of those sounds are tree limbs cracking.   Some of us like to fire off a…..celebratory round to let our neighbors know that we appreciate them buying us a power generator.

1 minute ago, hornian said:

There’s a thread on Reddit about that. The biggest headscratcher was Juice Land. Who the fuck wants a smoothie right now?

Crossfitters.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Heh, I just remembered to do that so I can use the iPad instead of the tiny iPhone8.

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

I might go for a jog and see if I end up governor.

You bad boy, you.

15 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Why do you care about ice on your trash bin?

image.jpeg.4b5b48707ded787449c28a0aceb17e02.jpeg

HA! i just made this comparison to my wife!

even though there is a 0.0001% chance they pick it up today, i wanted it out because they may this afternoon and today is trash day. tried to take it to the street without gloves, hands got super cold holding the ice, looked around, found trowel, chipped off one handle no issue, then the series of unfortunate events happened after that.

also almost slipped like 3x trying to get it the 15' to the curb which made it even funnier.

god i wish there was a camera on that side of the house so i could share the video here.

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not all of those sounds are tree limbs cracking.   Some of us like to fire off a…..celebratory round to let our neighbors know that we appreciate them buying us a power generator.

Crossfitters.

For real though, some of the pops are just ice cracking when trees flex but not break. 

my PEC outage showed around 600 homes affected. Small pocket. 

I need to have cold brew in stock in advance of weather events like this. I’m already going through caffeine withdrawal.

Fortunately, the wife is a tea drinker. Heat water on gas stove, steep, lotsa hot tea. It ain’t coffee, but it’ll do.

Hearing trees snap like crazy in the green belt behind our house now.

AND…the wife is mad at me. Why? Because I noticed that our bird feeder is frozen over, and our beloved backyard birds can’t get easy food. So, she put a bunch of birdseed on a plate, and told me to just set it on the table outside. She saw me go over and put a handful of seed on the seed tray of our feeder - “why are you doing that? I told you to put the plate on the table. They’ll find it. You know what, do whatever you want!” After putting that handful in the tray, I did exactly what she suggested, but she’s still posted because I think she’s stupid (whenever I do something at all different than she suggested, that’s what it means - I must think she’s stupid).
I LOVE ice days.
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

cheryl-cole-okay.gif

for a guy in tech he should understand that is a huge ask for an area with 50+ zip codes

VP - Networking & Security Principal Analyst, Global 100 ranking, #Forbes contributor featured on #NPR, #WSJ, #CNBC, #TodayShow - Native Austinite & Biker

he also tweeted this out 17 hours ago lol

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Oh, and by the way--props to the half-dozen people I saw on bicycles riding around downtown.  That's a special kind of stupid/dedicated/insane.

This is the type of post which makes our Austin City Council and $300k/yr bike czar feel like heroes.

Job well done everybody

Edited by Chet Steadman

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

Will seems a bit worked up

dude has a lot of hot sports opinions. but he also tweeted this out 17 hours ago, what a moron

I didn’t realize the drummer for Alice In Chains lived in Austin. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

AND…the wife is mad at me. Why? Because I noticed that our bird feeder is frozen over, and our beloved backyard birds can’t get easy food. So, she put a bunch of birdseed on a plate, and told me to just set it on the table outside. She saw me go over and put a handful of seed on the seed tray of our feeder - “why are you doing that? I told you to put the plate on the table. They’ll find it. You know what, do whatever you want!” After putting that handful in the tray, I did exactly what she suggested, but she’s still posted because I think she’s stupid (whenever I do something at all different than she suggested, that’s what it means - I must think she’s stupid).
I LOVE ice days.

image.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fortunately, the wife is a tea drinker. Heat water on gas stove, steep, lotsa hot tea. It ain’t coffee, but it’ll do.

Hearing trees snap like crazy in the green belt behind our house now.

I LOVE ice days.

Maybe she is mad because she didn't want you to slip on the way to the feeder (like @NoName with the trashcan) and take out a window with a plate turned frisbee or throw your back out or something. Sometimes angry voice is covering for worried voice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Maybe he buys beans like a fancy boy and only has an electric grinder. 

maybe a Turkish coffee grinder needs to be on his shopping list. 

During snowpacolypse 2021, I was reduced to smashing my beans with a hammer on the back porch then using the camp percolator to make coffee. You do what you have to do in order to get that delicious hot bean water. 

Edited by hookemATL
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1