2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

In the heart of Westlake, sounds like Fallujah outside. While clearing entire trees and piling shit up outside, I have watched six major veins or entire trees just give in entirely on my street in that half hour. Tree services in central texas about to get rich.

temps need to get above freezing asap…I’m about to take a hairdryer outside. 

Edited by sidis

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Dumb question amnesty: why do cell towers still work without power?  Or do they have backup generators or something?

I don’t know about the ones in town, but the one by my family’s farm has a backup generator.  Several years ago, they had a bad ice storm and went without power for a few weeks, and some dude had to haul fuel up to the tower every day or two.  I’m guessing the ones in cities don’t have a big fuel tanks, assuming they have generators.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Maybe she is mad because she didn't want you to slip on the way to the feeder (like @NoName with the trashcan) and take out a window with a plate turned frisbee or throw your back out or something. Sometimes angry voice is covering for worried voice.

I'm gonna blame the evil gas stove...

34 minutes ago, NoName said:

for a guy in tech he should understand that is a huge ask for an area with 50+ zip codes

he also tweeted this out 17 hours ago lol

A guy who feels it necessary to let people know he likes to ride his bicycle in his bio.  He's going to love the welcome he receives from the fine folks in Bastrop.

6 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Driftwood: Aptly Named.

What are things like in San Antonio/your area? I thought temps were > freezing pretty much south of 1604. 
My daughter was supposed to come home (to SAT) from Orlando today but they canceled, which surprised me.

Edited by phdhorn

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

What are things like in San Antonio/your area? I thought temps were > freezing pretty much south of 1604. 
My daughter was supposed to come home (to SAT) from Orlando today but they canceled, which surprised me.

I'm in Boerne - lots of thick ice everywhere, but probably not as bad as some of y'all further north.  Yesterday some of the overpasses were starting to get ice, and I'm sure it's worse today. 

According to the radar, yesterday the freezing line was somewhere around 1604.  This morning it's closer to 410.  (North side of both loops, that is).

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

A guy who feels it necessary to let people know he likes to ride his bicycle in his bio.  He's going to love the welcome he receives from the fine folks in Bastrop.

in 17 hours it went from a "non winter storm event" to:

• Haha 3

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Someone with a Twitter acct should call that douchebag out and ask him to stfu. 

He’s a UT grad to boot.

What he wants is literally not possible.  549 outages and 145,000 homes/businesses, that’s fucking insane.

And they are racing against the clock since more freezing rain is headed our way.

• Haha 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

He’s a UT grad to boot.

What he wants is literally not possible.  549 outages and 145,000 homes/businesses, that’s fucking insane.

And they are racing against the clock since more freezing rain is headed our way.

so an update every 30 min for each of the 50+ zips in the Austin area?

he is in tech (sort of) - he should be aware that's too much to ask of a power company.

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

so an update every 30 min for each of the 50+ zips in the Austin area?

he is in tech (sort of) - he should be aware that's too much to ask of a power company.

He wants everybody to know he’s moving to Bastrop, because it’s the promised land and Austin sucks.  I’m impressed they’ve managed to keep updating the outage numbers, but with over 500 active outages, they don’t have enough crews as it is and are busting their asses to get everything up.

Also, some might get pissy if the updates showed certain areas were being worked on while others weren’t, because not enough crews.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fortunately, the wife is a tea drinker. Heat water on gas stove, steep, lotsa hot tea. It ain’t coffee, but it’ll do.

Hearing trees snap like crazy in the green belt behind our house now.

AND…the wife is mad at me. Why? Because I noticed that our bird feeder is frozen over, and our beloved backyard birds can’t get easy food. So, she put a bunch of birdseed on a plate, and told me to just set it on the table outside. She saw me go over and put a handful of seed on the seed tray of our feeder - “why are you doing that? I told you to put the plate on the table. They’ll find it. You know what, do whatever you want!” After putting that handful in the tray, I did exactly what she suggested, but she’s still posted because I think she’s stupid (whenever I do something at all different than she suggested, that’s what it means - I must think she’s stupid).
I LOVE ice days.

I just scraped my car off and drove to the office so one of us didn’t wind up thrown out of the house or dead.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He wants everybody to know he’s moving to Bastrop, because it’s the promised the land and Austin sucks.  There is literally nothing Austin Energy can do to make him happy, because it has the word “Austin” in its name.  

I’m impressed they’ve managed to keep updating the outage numbers, but with over 500 active outages, they don’t have enough crews as it is and are busting their asses to get everything up.

Also, some might get pissy if the updates showed certain areas were being worked on while others weren’t, because not enough crews.

I just looked around the bastrop power and light page and see zero updates on any power outages. Maybe they have none?

20 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Comal county. 46 and 281.

Power out since 0830.

So many limbs down that the job is too big for me now. Booked my tree guy for tomorrow if the ice is gone.

I wouldn't even risk getting under trees right now.  I've seen some really large branches just give way suddenly.  It can wait until after everything thaws, not worth dying for.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He’s a UT grad to boot.

Maybe AE should have each work crew run back to the office, over icy roads, after they complete each work order, and provide a twitter after action report, so as to keep Will Townsend updated appropriately?

Update: We have one more batch of precip entering the ATX area now. This is going to last to around after lunch, then I think we'll be dry for another stretch. A bigger round of rain is coming in tonight but temps will rise. It's going to be a race <sigh>.

Edit: Trying to provide some hope:

image.png.793eed3d91e2c0e6069bc495c398d3ad.png

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I wouldn't even risk getting under trees right now.  I've seen some really large branches just give way suddenly.  It can wait until after everything thaws, not worth dying for.

Yep. We have several big branches down in our yard already, and it's supposed to rain more tonight. I'll sort it out tomorrow I guess. Took us 20 years to get shade over almost our whole yard. Now we're gonna have some big holes. Got dammit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, wood said:

Yep. We have several big branches down in our yard already, and it's supposed to rain more tonight. I'll sort it out tomorrow I guess. Took us 20 years to get shade over almost our whole yard. Now we're gonna have some big holes. Got dammit.

Same, but 10 years.  The summer sun is going to be brutal on the grass.  First world problems and all that

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, wood said:

Lost my lacebark elm during the snowpacolypse, and my red oak was mortally wounded.  This ice event may finish the job.  Guess I can get creative and make a totem pole or giant wooden dildo with some delicate chainsaw work.  

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Fortunately, the wife is a tea drinker. Heat water on gas stove, steep, lotsa hot tea. It ain’t coffee, but it’ll do.

Hearing trees snap like crazy in the green belt behind our house now.

AND…the wife is mad at me. Why? Because I noticed that our bird feeder is frozen over, and our beloved backyard birds can’t get easy food. So, she put a bunch of birdseed on a plate, and told me to just set it on the table outside. She saw me go over and put a handful of seed on the seed tray of our feeder - “why are you doing that? I told you to put the plate on the table. They’ll find it. You know what, do whatever you want!” After putting that handful in the tray, I did exactly what she suggested, but she’s still posted because I think she’s stupid (whenever I do something at all different than she suggested, that’s what it means - I must think she’s stupid).
I LOVE ice days.

As one who is getting absolutely skewered for wanting to work today (when we have no power and there is hell else to do), I feel your pain. 

29 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Anyone know accounts for monitoring traffic on I-45?

I gotta get from N. Texas to Houston some time today in an Audi Q5. No problem actually driving on icy roads if they are open. Is I-45 gonna be open enough?

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Google maps, which I think is fairly live, shows normal time and gives the route as 45 the entire way.  But there may not be enough traffic for it to mine to be accurate. 

Same with the Waze app; there may be fewer cars to report issues hence not so accurate with respect to closures/accidents. If the icy roads aren't difficult for your vehicle, then the traffic may be light enough that I-45 will be less problematic the further south you go due to the angle of the freeze line. Mostly have to watch out for trucks, etc losing control on bridges and ramps.

Wasn't seeing any closures reported and DriveTexas (https://drivetexas.org/#/11/31.8162/-96.0513?future=false&resources=traffic  )is showing green south of Fairfield on 45.

7 minutes ago, wood said:

Username checks out.

• Haha 1