2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Holy fucking shit, tell me that you have not lived very long in Austin and/or have never dug in your yard without telling me you have not lived very long in Austin and/or have never dug in your yard.

Do people really believe we could just bury all of our power lines?

We can.  All of the power lines in my neighborhood are buried.  It's just not feasible from a capitol outlay perspective.  Would need to be done piece by piece as upgrades are performed.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Holy fucking shit, tell me that you have not lived very long in Austin and/or have never dug in your yard without telling me you have not lived very long in Austin and/or have never dug in your yard.

Die, you unbridled cunts. 

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

We can.  All of the power lines in my neighborhood are buried.  It's just not feasible from a capitol outlay perspective.  Would need to be done piece by piece as upgrades are performed.

Oh, we can, but the cost would be enormous.  It makes sense in some brand new subdivisions, but it’s not going to happen in Austin proper on any large scale.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

AE should put a Bond on a future ballot with ALL of the expense of burying ALL electric lines and then see which people want to spout out off about how much they want it.

After the piece of shit product we're seeing from recent mobility bonds, we might not see another capital improvement bond project approved by the Austin voters anytime soon.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Worthy of laughter.  But I remember Steve Adler campaigning like hell for the 2016 mobility bond (he got my law firm to contribute to that bullshit) because he knew that Austin voters had gotten incredibly stingy on capital improvement projects, specifically dealing with infrastructure, over the past several voting cycles. 

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

After the piece of shit product we're seeing from recent mobility bonds, we might not see another capital improvement bond project approved by the Austin voters anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Austin voter have no concept about how bond elections work. They simply cannot make the connection between approving a bond and the increased cost of living. That is why the approve 98% of the ones that are proposed tp them.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

7 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

AE should put a Bond on a future ballot with ALL of the expense of burying ALL electric lines and then see which people want to spout out off about how much they want it.

I worked in telecom for 15 years. It's not energy but burying lines is the same.

There's a reason why Telecoms don't go back and bury all hanging lines. IT"S FUCKING EXPENSIVE!

Anything can be made full proof if you're willing to spend a shitton of money, money which, you know, will be passed to consumers.

"Why is my electric bill so got damned high!!!!!"

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Sir, may I interest you in some bike lanes?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Thank god there are no gusting winds or this would be a total shit show. 

4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Oh thanks, man, you've jinxed us!

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

My power did not go out during snowpocalyose, but here we are now with no power. Lines are buried in my hood and on a hospital circuit. 

Mother Nature sees your buried power lines and says:

giphy.gif

How does home insurance typically work with downed trees?  Do most policies cover events like this one?

I've generally just had our landscaper take care of the work out-of-pocket during similar incidents however we have extensive damage this time around and I'm wondering if it may be worth having insurance take a look.  Easily $4-5k+ in removal upcoming.  

Just now, Chet Steadman said:

How does home insurance typically work with downed trees?  Do most policies cover events like this one?

I've generally just had our landscaper take care of the work out-of-pocket during similar incidents however we have extensive damage this time around and I'm wondering if it may be worth having insurance take a look.  Easily $4-5k+ in removal upcoming.  

I don't recall it being weather related, but back in 2005 or so a large limb fell on the roof of my first home in Austin causing some, but not extensive damage.  USAA covered it without issue. 

• Like 1

Update: This last string of precip is now moving through the ATX metro area and environs. There is a bit of dry air seeping into it from the SW, so it's kind of getting chewed up. Doesn't mean there won't be an extra layer or two of ice forming, but hopefully it's being mitigated a bit - the line has narrowed W→E a good bit.

Then we got a decent break (although more stuff could form up south of us, but so far no) until dinnertime or so. I'm still hoping that temps will climb into the 33+° range by "sunset" (whatever that is!). Temps are not going to go down now the next 12-24 hours - just up, so I'm squeezing hard rooting for that.

Back later, I'd imagine.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Chet Steadman said:

Tree fell on my house a few years ago. Filed a claim. Insurance covered roof repairs and tree removal, minus the deductible. 

2 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Insurance typically doesn't cover landscaping.  Now if it fell into your house, they'd pay to repair that

On 1/31/2023 at 9:26 AM, ftf82 said:

My mother in law has been visiting since January 7. Her flight back to Albuquerque today was canceled yesterday, so we rescheduled for the same time on Wednesday. Which I'm sure will shortly be canceled. We'll have better luck playing pickup sticks with our butt cheeks than we will getting her a flight back to New Mexico by Friday.

Street was blocked this morning with a down tree (we are on a one way in/out dead end street). Got an Uber to pick up mother-in-law on the other side of the downed tree and got her to the airport. Flight just took off. Dry January just ended (literally).

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, ftf82 said:

Street was blocked this morning with a down tree (we are on a one way in/out dead end street). Got an Uber to pick up mother-in-law on the other side of the downed tree and got her to the airport. Flight just took off. Dry January just ended (literally).

There's a dude driving Uber today? Damn, hats off to that dude. Rent is due.

Just now, ftf82 said:

But your mom's February will be incredibly wet.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ftf82 said:

You motivated son of a bitch.

Just now, South Austin said:

But your mom's February will be incredibly wet.

image.jpeg.4beb91c14bac1afbb6e0b01227dc647b.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

It depends. Any damage to structures on your property? That one is usually covered. For the rest, I think it is policy dependent.

• Like 1