2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

Pretty crazy sitting at my desk looking out the back window and just hearing/watching trees crash down every few minutes. Fortunately, I haven't lost too much from any of my oaks, which is frankly amazing since the branches are touching the ground (when they're normally 10-12' up). 

On the plus side, most of what has fallen are junipers that were too tall for me to safely cut down myself. 

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We just dropped to more than 30% of addresses without power again.  It dropped by several thousand and then shot back up to 163,000.

But 69% have power…

I believe you live relatively close to my hood, maybe a bit south in Rosedale.  Do you have power yet? 

I'm sitting in my nice warm downtown office and wondering when I make the trip back home.

18 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I believe you live relatively close to my hood, maybe a bit south in Rosedale.  Do you have power yet? 

I'm sitting in my nice warm downtown office and wondering when I make the trip back home.

That’s my area, but we haven’t lost it yet, but the poles on our street are leaning over.  There’s a lot of sporadic outages between the hospital area and where you live.

I’m claiming the hospital district as the reason we haven’t lost it, but like I said, poles up and down the streets are leaning.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

After the piece of shit product we're seeing from recent mobility bonds, we might not see another capital improvement bond project approved by the Austin voters anytime soon.

There will be an “unhoused right of way” walking bridge over every overpass bond done in no time, and it’ll pass.  

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m claiming the hospital district as the reason we haven’t lost it, but like I said, poles up and down the streets are leaning.

I think that's the reason I wasn't part of the rolling outages in Feb. 2018 (I'm closer to the state health services dept. on North Loop, but I think that's "protected" as well).  I only lost power back then because ice eventually forced a tree limb onto a line close to my house.

My power did not go out during snowpocalyose, but here we are now with no power. Lines are buried in my hood and on a hospital circuit. 
The Hills?

Its been out since 2am in the 34. I heard a whole power pole snapped down the road so not expecting it back soon. We were down 3 days in 21.

Wood burning stove and batteries for the laptops so we will be fine.

Lost two decent limbs on my 160 year old live oak is kind of a bummer. And my neighbors shitty Hackberry is unscathed of course. POS is invincible.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

With another 18-24 hours before we get above freezing it's going to be really ugly tomorrow at this time. 

18-24 hrs?  Where?  Should be at or above 32 in all of austin metro right now and for the next several hours, and be back above freezing tomorrow morning. 

my weather widget doesn’t even have austin proper freezing tonight. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

The Hills?

Its been out since 2am in the 34. I heard a whole power pole snapped down the road so not expecting it back soon. We were down 3 days in 21

Nope. But 38. Everyone we have talked to out here is without power, from falcon head to lake point over to old lakeway. Hope the twins is running off a backup generator. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

18-24 hrs?  Where?  Should be at or above 32 in all of austin metro right now and for the next several hours, and be back above freezing tomorrow morning. 

my weather widget doesn’t even have austin proper freezing tonight. 

I've got 31 on my app (StormShield). It may be a degree or two warmer but nothing is really melting. Maybe it gets above freezing late tomorrow morning.

We seem to be losing a limb every other hour. Just hoping nothing goes through the roof. That's the best outcome. 

Tonight's going to suck.

• Like 1

Been misting/drizzling for about the last hour in Westlake and many more trees are all of a sudden cracking and dropping branches and limbs. Unless we get some solid rain to help melt off the ice faster before the wind hits tomorrow morning it's going to be apocalyptic in the Hills of WL 

11 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

I don't think that's right (unless Wunderground weather stations are inaccurate:

image.png.f58e52cc70ed3be47c8d3a82c3f1c8ca.png

According to that my house should be 30 degrees but I look outside and I see water dripping from everywhere. It is sprinkling so need to account for that, but my widget says 32 and that’s more what it looks like.  

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Sooo, any news on power in south austin? Been out since 6:48. Near st David's south and didn't lose power during snowpocalypse but of course we do now

Go to the Austin Energy Outage map, and zoom into your neighborhood. Click the icon closest to your address, and look at the "Crew Status." I don't know where you live, but I clicked on the icon that had the little guy with a hard hat on next to it. That's the only one in your area that has a crew assigned to it. All the others say pending.

image.thumb.png.02357ffb0fd68256c8247e6c1054f163.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I think that's the reason I wasn't part of the rolling outages in Feb. 2018 (I'm closer to the state health services dept. on North Loop, but I think that's "protected" as well).  I only lost power back then because ice eventually forced a tree limb onto a line close to my house.

We keep getting power flickers.  I think it’s a case of power going out and then being rerouted in from another direction.  Looking at the Austin Energy map, in your general area, to the north of Hancock and between Burnet and Shoal Creek it showed around 2,700 without power.  I’m not sure how far those boundaries extend or if it’s multiple outages or what.

No crews assigned yet.   Looks like HEB or somewhere close to it is out.

Edited by atomheartbevo