2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

I'm out in the country near Liberty Hill.  The live oak tree limbs are full of ice.  We are likely to get some more BBQ wood on the ground between now and when 33 degrees happens.  I am nowhere close to using up all of the BBQ wood that the 2021 ice storm gave us.

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.  Blessed be the name of the Lord. 

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1

No power here in Taylor since 10:30.  Drove around some at lunchtime, every single house we saw had tree damage, saw oak trees split open like demogorgons.  Now, drizzling heavy, watched three houses on our block lose 20 foot plus branches within two minutes, as Supertramp said, things are very very bad, they will get much much worse.

17 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I'm out in the country near Liberty Hill.  The live oak tree limbs are full of ice.  We are likely to get some more BBQ wood on the ground between now and when 33 degrees happens.  I am nowhere close to using up all of the BBQ wood that the 2021 ice storm gave us. 

You need to BBQ more often.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I wouldn't even risk getting under trees right now.  I've seen some really large branches just give way suddenly.  It can wait until after everything thaws, not worth dying for.

This right here.

During snowpacolypse we had one partially broken limb that needed cutting to try to prevent damage to the house. I grabbed the trusty chainsaw and stepped out on the porch when a huge limb on a 100' red oak gave away. Tha God it was on the opposite side frome house. "Fuck it"! That thing would not have even left a grease spot if it had fallen on me. Needless to say,  we had loggers come in and cut every tree that could reach the house and had the remaining 20 acres select cu in December and January.  Feel safer and picked up a nice chunk of change. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

After all that and the idiot still thinks it's a good idea to drive to his destination.

7 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Luckily his destination was two houses down lol

And he was able to drive right into his buddy's living room and onto the couch next to him.

• Haha 5

For the first time ever, Austin Energy had had to call on neighboring utilities for help. CPS and NBU have crews coming and/or already here.

This is mostly a tree issue…but in that respect it’s the worst ice storm we’ve had in a long, long time.

Still no power at our house. With the fire blazing, we can keep the living room at around 60 degrees. Gonna head over to my dad’s for an it to charge the laptop and get some work done (roads are fine, just have to dodge fallen trees).

• Hook 'Em 2

The tree damage just west of oak hill is worse than in 2021.  We lost quite a few branches and trees then and subsequently had more removed and thinned as a preventive measure and we are getting far more damage now even after proactive work.

On pec and we have not lost power.

Temp has not gotten above 29 in two days.

Being a lifelong austin resident since 1968, this event is in the top 5.

Snowpocalypse is no 1.

..and then really a multi way tie for no 2 depending on what you hate the most.

Winter if 85 it legit snowed 3 times with days long freezes each time.

Winter of 89 it hit -2 and lots of stuff died.

2023 tree Macedon.

Getting ready for bourbon on the rocks #2. Probably going to bed when the sun goes down.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

The tree damage just west of oak hill is worse than in 2021.  We lost quite a few branches and trees then and subsequently had more removed and thinned as a preventive measure and we are getting far more damage now even after proactive work.

On pec and we have not lost power.

Temp has not gotten above 29 in two days.

Being a lifelong austin resident since 1968, this event is in the top 5.

Snowpocalypse is no 1.

..and then really a multi way tie for no 2 depending on what you hate the most.

Winter if 85 it legit snowed 3 times with days long freezes each time.

Winter of 89 it hit -2 and lots of stuff died.

2023 tree Macedon.

Getting ready for bourbon on the rocks #2. Probably going to bed when the sun goes down.

85 was the best.  I was a kid and got to go sledding for the first time in my life.  Still remember it vividly 

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So we crossed 170,000 AE customers/addresses without power, 800 active outages.  That probably translates to a good 350,000 without power, or more.

It's going to be a cold night's sleep, under 5 blankets and a beanie on my head.

Snowvid, Part 2.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

Lost this epic tree in our neighborhood today. Had to be one the biggest.

PXL_20230201_194311891.thumb.jpg.d06aa2e1a0f56a36ab84af9f881f466e.jpg

PXL_20230201_194256062.thumb.jpg.f327b1253761cb31f38b7b232a360b1a.jpg

Talked with the neighbor, that tree was marked by an arborist about a year (didn't ask why) but they estimated it at over 300 years old.

That's some humbling shit.

1 hour ago, bonnieblue said:

No! Is that near Deep Woods? 

Deepwoods and Mesa, yup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

85 was the best.  I was a kid and got to go sledding for the first time in my life.  Still remember it vividly 

The hill at Murchison was epic that year. A friend's dad was a welder and made a sled for us. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

The tree damage just west of oak hill is worse than in 2021.  We

I wasn’t here then but I think in 21 it was much colder and because of that the precipitation was a bunch of snow. Which is much easier on the trees as it will fall off after too much buildup or a little movement from wind before it gets heavy. 

From one of the areas gossips, so take with a grain of salt. We've been without power since 530 this morning (east of Pflugerville), so she called Oncor and actually spoke to someone (allegedly). They say they aren't sending anyone out until stuff thaws. Just sharing to keep in the back of your mind.

We got lucky and had a generator installed just last Thursday, so we have one heating unit running along with the fire place and are watching TV.

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Temped to break out the cactus burner and defrost some low hanging trees. What could go wrong ?

while standing around looking up at the 450 gigantic trees i have at my house after wrangling all the huge fallen stuff together in a pile, i gave a good 8 seconds of thought to taking my wife's hair dryer to one of the seriously sagging oaks.

Edited by sidis
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

From one of the areas gossips, so take with a grain of salt. We've been without power since 530 this morning (east of Pflugerville), so she called Oncor and actually spoke to someone (allegedly). They say they aren't sending anyone out until stuff thaws. Just sharing to keep in the back of your mind.

We got lucky and had a generator installed just last Thursday, so we have one heating unit running along with the fire place and are watching TV.

Oncor is out fixing stuff in our area so either that phone rep or whomever posted it is full of shit.

26 minutes ago, Deej said:

The hill at Murchison was epic that year. A friend's dad was a welder and made a sled for us. 

I remember the second snowfall was the best. I think it was Jan 12.  This snow was well before Jim Spencer, and all the weather guys were geeking out . What was even better is that it was rolling in overnight on a Friday.

Sure enough, I woke Saturday morning with snow on the ground. It snowed on and off all day and well into the night. 

I think San Antoinio got more than Austin.

Besides the snow, that winter was pretty cold in general and by the time the third snowfall was done, I was good with only two foe Austin each winter.