2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Weather Channel app is now showing a slow but steady ramp up in temperature starting around 8 PM. Here’s hoping that hourly forecast is more accurate than the 15 others I’ve seen throughout the day. 

AccuWeather has us at 37 by 8am. 

20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Temped to break out the cactus burner and defrost some low hanging trees. What could go wrong ?

If I had known last week what I know now, I would have ordered a couple of these to stick under our front yard oak for an hour or two last night to melt some of the stuff.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Oncor is out fixing stuff in our area so either that phone rep or whomever posted it is full of shit.

Yeah, three of their trucks are still across the street working for well over an hour. (Brushy Creek MUD on west side of Round Rock).

Got down to 62 in the house since power went off at 7:30am. Gas fireplace has been going all day. Lit the gas stove with a propane lighter so we had a hot meal. 
Son on the other side of the neighborhood has not lost power yet.

My parents in 78757 still without power, over 12 hours now.  Dad says it's the longest they've ever been without as long as they've been in the house, since 1969.  Obviously, they never lost power in 2021.

My sister in 78750 without power as well, about the same amount of time.

At this point, I suspect it won't happen for them today.  So, I'm about to embark on Operation Genny, delivering two of my generators to their houses.  

Coming in from Anderson Mill, I can stay on surface streets and avoid overpasses/bridges.  Roads in general are okay, is that correct?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I filled the bathtub with water this morning just in case - for toilet flushing.

It's like the motherfuckers didn't learn a goddamned thing. It's critical fucking infrastructure. You're telling me that they don't have a generator or that said generator isn't working? Power prob has not been out for over 24 hours. That plant doesn't have a disaster recovery plan to cover <24 hour power loss? 

From 2021.

"But there was a problem: Nobody on site knew how to operate a 52-year-old gear switch that would have restored power to the plant.

And so Ullrich Water Treatment Plant went dark for three hours in the middle of the worst winter storm to strike Central Texas in decades. It cut off roughly half of the city's potable water production and deepened the winter weather crisis that at that moment had thousands shivering without electricity in their homes.

The outage resulted in the plant operating below capacity for more than 10 hours, according to Austin Water. During that time, water drained rapidly from the city's water reserves, bled by thousands of burst pipes and dozens of broken water mains.

The failure of dual redundancies at Ullrich helped trigger a citywide boil water notice and contributed to widespread loss of water pressure that included forcing the evacuation of many patients from St. David's South Austin Medical Center."

In the weeklong winter storm, the loss of power at Ullrich represents an inflection point when the city's power crisis became a water supply crisis.

Ullrich had a second emergency power source and enough water storage to provide 100 gallons to each customer in case of a power outage. Yet the icy conditions revealed that Ullrich Water Treatment Plant's dual redundancies — backup power and backup water storage — were unreliable when faced with weather conditions during the winter storm.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Only approximately 90 hours until he breaks our record from 2021. 

Yup they were fortunate then.  I was too, and my luck is still holding.  That's why I have to spread the good fortune by delivering generators throughout the NW Austin area.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Go to the Austin Energy Outage map, and zoom into your neighborhood. Click the icon closest to your address, and look at the "Crew Status." I don't know where you live, but I clicked on the icon that had the little guy with a hard hat on next to it. That's the only one in your area that has a crew assigned to it. All the others say pending.

image.thumb.png.02357ffb0fd68256c8247e6c1054f163.png

Unfortunately it says what it has said all day which is information is unavailable

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I filled the bathtub with water this morning just in case - for toilet flushing.

Water company: “Please preserve water.”

Armybrat: “Got it. Stockpiling as much water for myself as possible.”

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

36 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

YOU HAVE TO BE FUCKING KIDDING! Did some asshole forgot how to turn on the generator?

Why do I picture each day in February at Austin Water like an 80's thriller?

"Cut the Black Wire"

"No, it's the Red Wire!" 

"Dammit man, I know what I'm doing!"

"Nah, this is a completely different setup than last time!"  

5 seconds Water Director MacGruber! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

My apologies to Austin Water. They have their shit together. It's Travis County Water's turn to be fucking idiots.

Edit: I am fucking amazed that people who manage public utilities are incompetent as fuck. I'd like to hear why they can't get power to District 10 plant. No generator? Why the fuck not? Have generator and not working? Why the fuck isn't it working. Don't you asshats perform routine testing and maintenance? It's fucking mind blowing.

Edited by crash_davis

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

My apologies to Austin Water. They have their shit together. It's Travis County Water's turn to be fucking idiots.

Edit: I am fucking amazed that people who manage public utilities are incompetent as fuck. I'd like to hear why they can't get power to District 10 plant. No generator? Why the fuck not? Have generator and not working? Why the fuck isn't it working. Don't you asshats perform routine testing and maintenance? It's fucking mind blowing.

They're gonna have to wait in line.  Almost all of my generators are now spoken for.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Sigh.  They WERE working on restoring our power (could hear the truck and crews on the next street where the issue is).....and then pulled and re-assigned the crew.  So, still no power, and no prospects.  

At my dad's now, finishing up some work, and using his power and wifi.  I HAVE a generator.....that I never unboxed or got set up (dumbass, kept saying I'd get to it later).  Going to get into it and get it going.  Need to pick up some 10W30 and some more gas.  Will just run extension cords into the house to put a radiant heater in our room, and charge phones and such, using the bedroom as a lifeboat.  Fucking sigh.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We keep getting power flickers.  I think it’s a case of power going out and then being rerouted in from another direction.  Looking at the Austin Energy map, in your general area, to the north of Hancock and between Burnet and Shoal Creek it showed around 2,700 without power.  I’m not sure how far those boundaries extend or if it’s multiple outages or what.

No crews assigned yet.   Looks like HEB or somewhere close to it is out.

No power when I got home at 4pm, so left to stay the night at a friend’s house to get a hot shower, warm meal, and alcohol.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh.  They WERE working on restoring our power (could hear the truck and crews on the next street where the issue is).....and then pulled and re-assigned the crew.  So, still no power, and no prospects.  

At my dad's now, finishing up some work, and using his power and wifi.  I HAVE a generator.....that I never unboxed or got set up (dumbass, kept saying I'd get to it later).  Going to get into it and get it going.  Need to pick up some 10W30 and some more gas.  Will just run extension cords into the house to put a radiant heater in our room, and charge phones and such, using the bedroom as a lifeboat.  Fucking sigh.

Going to be a cold night on the ledge. Stay warm! Make Tea at Dad's before you head back. Shit should be fine tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

No power when I got home at 4pm, so left to stay the night at a friend’s house to get a hot shower, warm meal, and alcohol.

I think yall are on the same grid as the Brentwood Fire Station. That grid stayed up 100% during 2021 shitshow probably because it was deemed critical due to the Fire Station. I'm on the Crestview grid; we lost power for the whole duration in 2021. I haven't lost power all day. It seems weird that yall would still be down all day. Figured AE would make it a priority getting that grid back up ASAP.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

I think yall are on the same grid as the Brentwood Fire Station. That grid stayed up 100% during 2021 shitshow probably because it was deemed critical due to the Fire Station. I'm on the Crestview grid; we lost power for the whole duration in 2021. I haven't lost power all day. It seems weird that yall would still be down all day. Figured AE would make it a priority getting that grid back up ASAP.

I’m close to the southern edge of Brentwood, so possibly below that grid. In any event, from about 45th to Taco Flats, everything along Burnet was without power when I left a couple hours ago.

1 minute ago, Orange&amp;White said:

I’ve got hours worth of branches in my yard to clean up.

Hopefully this shit thaws before lunch tomorrow because there are 20 mph gust on the menu for tomorrow afternoon. That will wreck shop.

Tree trimming dudes are about to start popping bottles of Dom P like ROFLBox after a hail storm.

Let's hope they don't go around adopting dogs afterwards like him too 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

Hopefully this shit thaws before lunch tomorrow because there are 20 mph gust on the menu for tomorrow afternoon. That will wreck shop.
Tree trimming dudes are about to start popping bottles of Dom P like ROFLBox after a hail storm.

Fuck is it really getting that windy

That’s going to be trouble for me

1 hour ago, Orange&amp;White said:

Even if the ice melts, 20 mph winds are going to wreck shop on trees that are soaking wet trying to shake off a freeze in soggy ground that is recovering from a drought.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

I'm guessing falling trees/branches and blown transformers aren't as predictable as load shedding decisions. 

25 minutes ago, After irth said:

A balmy 38 here.  Killed a last splash of Weller 12.  Killed a last splash of Eagle Rare.  

Cheers from Lufkin, farkers!

Fucking hell, I'd be happy to break 30 at this point. It's been 28 since Sunday night in my hood 

Some sunshine and no wind tomorrow would be really amazing

1 minute ago, burntorangebongos said:

I lost my power at 2pm and still don't have it back on yet. I have hot water and stove/oven due to propane but just going to stay in bed under a couple of blankets and stay warm. Maybe do a hot shower later if I need to. 

You may already know, but boiling water on your stove helps a lot with maintaining heat in the house.  One burner is good but you can do more if necessary.

• Like 1

Oncor is out fixing stuff in our area so either that phone rep or whomever posted it is full of shit.
Maybe so. I can tell there has been no Oncor truck in our area (in the country but not that far so not a high priority, I guess) and there is a line on the ground across the driveway of the house 2 driveways down. There are about 90 houses on our lines route, but I'm not sure how many are without power.

That said we lose power all the time, I think we are up to 13 times in the last six months with an outage lasting at least 30 minutes. Nothing ever really gets fixed. Hence the generator when less than 10-15 minutes from 130.
  • Hook 'Em 1