2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

My complex parking areas and anything that isn't a building are utterly destroyed. 

I've been out with everyone else trying to clear fallen limbs but then shit starts to just fall out of the sky. 

Inside with the pup and a litre of jamie now.

I've advised all top floor neighbors to watch for leaks caused by b-52 oak drops.

I'm looking at the outage map and it appears to be extremely accurate right now - looking at timestamps of my area, I can see a definite group of 200+ people who have reported an outage all within 5-10 minutes of me doing it.

And we were all able to report by phone and have it show up - I have talked to a bunch of neighbors now, and they all called it in and I can see their houses and complexes on the map showing no power.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

First time I’ve even had cell phone internet in more than 12 hours in Hyde park (AT&T). No power since 6am yesterday. Super fucking fun.  I have no clue what’s going on. Power has tried to come back on like 5-6 times, but never makes it more than a couple of minutes. Making 2021 look like a cake walk.  I have my fire on, so not in danger by any means, but what the fuck. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

First time I’ve even had cell phone internet in more than 12 hours in Hyde park (AT&T). No power since 6am yesterday. Super fucking fun.  I have no clue what’s going on. Power has tried to come back on like 5-6 times, but never makes it more than a couple of minutes. Making 2021 look like a cake walk.  I have my fire on, so not in danger by any means, but what the fuck. 

Yeah, my cell phone has been spotty (directly west of you towards Shoal Creek/Mopac area) and on Verizon.  I have a UPS for some stuff I do, and I have my Grande fiber/router plugged into it, so as long as Grande is sending signals we've got internet for 12 or so hours.  Grande was good to us in the past during outages.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm looking at the outage map and it appears to be extremely accurate right now - looking at timestamps of my area, I can see a definite group of 200+ people who have reported an outage all within 5-10 minutes of me doing it.

Interesting that they still rely on reporting.

Here in the Houston area, Centerpoint seems to know right away how many are down. We lose electricity, go to their website 5 minutes later, zoom in, and get a pretty accurate count of how many customers are without power in your area.

Used to call, but could never get through. Then discovered their outage map and realized that they already knew.

4 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Interesting that they still rely on reporting.

Here in the Houston area, Centerpoint seems to know right away how many are down. We lose electricity, go to their website 5 minutes later, zoom in, and get a pretty accurate count of how many customers are without power in your area.

Used to call, but could never get through. Then discovered their outage map and realized that they already knew.

I've counted over 600+ people affected by the outage I'm affected by, and surely not all of them are nite owls, so I'm thinking that they have to have some kind of sensors.  I know they have some better gear around the hospital areas, because I've talked to a couple of their workers in the past who were working in the neighborhood, and they mentioned they could  automatically route electricity in from different directions to the hospitals, and they acted like it could be done in other areas away from priority/hospital districts.

We've got meters that can be read from a distance as well, but I don't know what the range is on those.

• Hook 'Em 1

They've got something going on where they at least know when a group of outages is related - they folded about a thousand of us into one outage, which, everybody I've talked to around our area all heard the transformer blow at the same time.  Bunch of us nerds are looking at the map and trying to pinpoint it.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

No idea if the shit falling outside is just ice or branches. Just waiting for something to come crashing through my living room window.  This shit has to end. 

I keep hearing what sounds like sheets of ice falling out of trees, which is probably loaded branches/leaves full of ice.

Meanwhile,  Camp Mabry has been showing 32-31 for the last few days.  It's likely we won't get above freezing until daybreak.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

My complex parking areas and anything that isn't a building are utterly destroyed. 

I've been out with everyone else trying to clear fallen limbs but then shit starts to just fall out of the sky. 

Inside with the pup and a litre of jamie now.

I've advised all top floor neighbors to watch for leaks caused by b-52 oak drops.

this is why you date the big girls -extra warmth ! Had a date with a thing and small woman, zero warmth. glad she didn’t spend the night ! 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Drool 1

shocked holy shit GIF

Where is the "tech" futures Forbes guy who wanted them to update twitter every 30 minutes with the status of all 50+ zipcodes in Austin?

I just noticed when you clicked on "Summary" under the Total number of customers without power on the left side (click on the four little squares if it's not dropped down) it gives you "View by Zipcode" updated every 10 fucking minutes.

https://outagemap.austinenergy.com/reports/7e91b271-8db9-4931-a14c-67845dfcd496

Sure, it's not on fucking twitter, but 50+ fucking tweets every half hour would be the most inefficient way to get that information out there.  Or even trying to cram it all into some infographic bullshit image, it would still be inefficient compared to what they have.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Haha 1

Sounds like a turd floater in rrock 78665. Hope its warming a bit to start melting shit. Its fucking dangerouse to just walk around outside with all the rress crashing. My neighbors huge shitty hackberry already split in half with it falling in his yard. Next half will prolly hit our house and pool equipment.
Stop fucking raining!!!
Warm up please

Been absolutely unloading freezing rain on us in Hewitt for the last hour or so.  Absolute downpour and we’ve been below 30 degrees since about 6:00 Sunday evening.  The trees are sagging terribly and I know I’m going to be woke up at any moment to the explosions.   

Power out (PEC) in 78737 since midnight. And of course, the connected smoke detectors decided it was time to freak out at 3am. I have 10-12' ceilings, so that was fun in the dark. I found the culprit and they're silent now, but my Pippa girl has been in full-on panic/panting mode for the last hour. I'm trying to calm her down and cool her off, as she's overheating.

Fun!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:

Power out (PEC) in 78737 since midnight. And of course, the connected smoke detectors decided it was time to freak out at 3am. I have 10-12' ceilings, so that was fun in the dark. I found the culprit and they're silent now, but my Pippa girl has been in full-on panic/panting mode for the last hour. I'm trying to calm her down and cool her off, as she's overheating.

Fun!

Fuck. My smoker detectors are freaking out too. 

And now down at least one oak tree. 

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I've been stuck at work since Monday. I'm definitely driving home this morning.

You should be fine. I drove Houston to Austin last night and got in at midnight.  Took it slow from Bastrop on and never felt any slipping at all.  Temp was right at 32 and it’s only getting warmer today. 

Got power back at 11:45, and lost it again an hour later. First time since 7am yesterday. Got it back again at 2:30, been back ever since. Woke up expecting to see lots of outages fixed on the map, and wow. We were a group of 5500, so maybe we got prioritized, but we were without power for pretty much the entire 21 freeze, so color me surprised.

25 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Does Austin have a mayor and is he in town? This seems like a time when he should be out at least pretending to give a shit. In reality there is nothing he could do immediately, but this is a prime opportunity for more of his bullshit promises. Good ole Kurt 

Don't blame me. I voted for Fitlump.

• Haha 2

Fun!

78737 Same issue here excerpt mine went out at 6:30. Teenagers and dogs were not happy with the fire alarms.

Sad to see all the trees down and I know it's frustrating to be w/o electricity.

When my folks were alive, Tulsa had a really bad storm that dumped ice for three days and knocked power out for practically the entire city. I think my parents were w/o for a week but managed to get along (I have a sibling who lived nearby that moved them into his house). When I took the children to visit some time later, all of the parks grounds were filled with massive piles of mulch from the shredded trees the city had collected. It was both sad and rather stupefying at the same time to see so how large the piles were. IIRC, the city ended up burning a lot of it as there was more than could be utilized by residents and parks maintenance.

My folks had many nut trees (oak, pecan, walnut, hickory) on their property but my dad had always been scrupulous about keeping them trimmed and although they lost some branches, I don't think they lost a single tree in its entirety, which considering the age and size of some of them was pretty lucky. The soil there has less clay and I think that helped, but seeing these pics of the huge live oaks toppled over and split sure does bring back memories of the photos my parents took of their neighborhood of the gigantic branches that stove in roofs and cars.

Hang in there folks.

Here's a pic from back then from the local news:

Mulch Piles Causing Problems

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
added pic
  • Like 2