2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

That was when I was young and don't really remember, the one I 'm talking about was around 2007/08 but Tulsa has had these storms a little more frequently compared to central Texas, due to the way the jet stream typically would drop south in Dec thru Feb.  My folks lived in the southern hilly part of the city with no guardrails or curbs and what was thrilling as a kid became rather terrifying after I learned how to drive.

Yeah I doubt anything in Tulsa's history tops that 07 ice storm. My folks lived north of Tulsa and I happened to be visiting when that one happened. I'll be surprised if I ever see an ice storm that rivals that one. 

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Demanding accountability from CoA admin, and putting this disaster on a failure to learn from the previous disasters. 

Also calling out the 100s of millions spent on studies and other bullshit.

This is Adlers shit show not his IMO.

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos from the embedded artist assigned to the utility department. 

• Haha 6

50 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i had very Archie Bunker type thoughts last night as i was shivering in the dark in my own goddamn house with the thermostat reading 48F.

• I pay my utilities bills on time without fail.
  • i have worked hard my entire life. i don't deserve to have to live like this.
  • I already lived this 2 years ago for 96 hours, WTF?

i mean, i know i am spoiled considering how the rest of the 7.9 billion people on this planet live, but last night sucked (all over again).

I guess part of it is the lack of control. 

FYI

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mackavelli said:

Have an EGO electric chainsaw ready for pickup at Lowes.   Is that everyones plan this weekend?   Cut the fallen branches and then do what?  Bonfire for the next few weeks?   Haul it off?  

Large brush pickup in my ‘hood is in less that 2 weeks.  Good timing and my street is going to keep them busy. 

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

This city and state need to start investing in basic infrastructure. Which means we need to pay more taxes / higher prices for utilities. There’s no such thing as a free lunch. All the money we saved by not paying to maintain trees around power lines has cost us in inconvenience and hassle. And we end up paying for that tree maintenance eventually. 

No politics, etc., but this country’s (and especially this state’s) addiction to bare minimum taxes at the expense of basic maintenance have fucked us. It was always myopic, greedy bullshit. Trees over power lines are just the canary in the coal mine. Other neglected infrastructure is rotting on a longer timescale.

I cannot emphasize this, or rep it, enough.

For decades, everyone in the state has bragged endlessly about "lowest utility rates!  Lowest taxes! Friendliest regulatory environment!"

If you own a home and don't repair/replace the roof, don't maintain exterior cladding, don't maintain your HVAC, don't replace components when they break (you just duct tape them and call it done), and don't carry sufficient insurance......those chickens are going to come home to roost, and they're very, very big chickens.

Think 100 year old clay sewer pipe.  Think bridges built during the Great Depression.  Think water lines laid by WWII vets just back from the front.  Etc. etc. ad infinitum.  Teh day of reckoning is already here.  50-60 years of "cost-savings" -- just like the "cost-savings" you realized by not maintaining your house above, have caught up with us.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I cannot emphasize this, or rep it, enough.

For decades, everyone in the state has bragged endlessly about "lowest utility rates!  Lowest taxes! Friendliest regulatory environment!"

If you own a home and don't repair/replace the roof, don't maintain exterior cladding, don't maintain your HVAC, don't replace components when they break (you just duct tape them and call it done), and don't carry sufficient insurance......those chickens are going to come home to roost, and they're very, very big chickens.

Think 100 year old clay sewer pipe.  Think bridges built during the Great Depression.  Think water lines laid by WWII vets just back from the front.  Etc. etc. ad infinitum.  Teh day of reckoning is already here.  50-60 years of "cost-savings" -- just like the "cost-savings" you realized by not maintaining your house above, have caught up with us.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

This city and state need to start investing in basic infrastructure. Which means we need to pay more taxes / higher prices for utilities. There’s no such thing as a free lunch. All the money we saved by not paying to maintain trees around power lines has cost us in inconvenience and hassle. And we end up paying for that tree maintenance eventually. 

No politics, etc., but this country’s (and especially this state’s) addiction to bare minimum taxes at the expense of basic maintenance have fucked us. It was always myopic, greedy bullshit. Trees over power lines are just the canary in the coal mine. Other neglected infrastructure is rotting on a longer timescale.

Tell me you don't live in Austin without telling me you don't live in Austin.

Texans deal with an overall tax burden on par with most states, e.g. most people are surprised to learn Coloradans pay less.  Our sales and property taxes more than make up for the income tax component, which was never actually a burden due to the ability to deduct it from your federal return until a couple of years ago.  It's how we spend our money that's the problem.  There's plenty in the budget for trimming trees in Austin, but our fearless leaders choose to spend that money elsewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

SIAP, but anyone else hearing that we may be getting a boil water notice, and possibly lose water, sometime today?

County District 10 is already on a boil water notice.   How we don't have backup power to our water treatment facilities after the last few years is a disgrace. 

• Rage+1 1

I’m going to keep saying it, but putting local distribution power lines anywhere but underground is fucking stupid and we are now paying the piper. 

In other news I’m expecting AISD to call it for tomorrow soon. Just can’t see buses running and all the schools having power and cleanup done. 

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

My neighbor across the street bought propane heater, 5 5 gallon gas tanks and a generator after snowmaggedon. We laughed she may never even use them. She is laughing now. 

96hours out front says get a Genny

Propane is the way to go /Hank Hill

but I just got the last piece I needed this past weekend (thanks to the “hypothetical” icepocalypse a few on here were warning about last week) to connect my generator in to the electric panel

best ~$350 I ever spent 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

So glad we called our tree guy at 9am yesterday. They arrived at 8am this morning. Said we were first and he's overwhelmed because his phone keeps ringing with previous customers.

yup we did the same - sent pictures and will have someone here today or tomorrow. smart to get the call in before you see all of the damage. 

It looks like schools may be closed tomorrow as well - RRISD is assessing the damage as some schools lost power and still don't have it back on. 

Blaming the energy companies for the power outages is probably barking up the wrong tree. The energy companies trim the limbs from the power lines. But as you've been seeing pics, you have whole trees or branches falling everywhere. The energy companies cannot do anything to protect the lines when the damn tree falls on it and takes it out. This shit is happening everywhere. A fixed number of repair teams fixing hundreds, maybe thousands, of issues all over the area is going to take time. 

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Like many of y'all here, our oak tree in our front yard took a beating from this ice storm and I'm pretty damn bummed about it. Honestly can't tell if it we will have to just trim off the damage or if it's worse than that. Thankful it didn't damage our house or our neighbors' vehicles. 

PXL_20230202_185406950.jpg

PXL_20230202_185341496.jpg

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

My neighbor called his tree guy. I called my tree guy. Both vmail inboxes are full. Aint no tree guy answering any phone calls. They have as many jobs as they want for the next 2 weeks. I'm going to keep calling until he answers. 

We didn't get nearly as much ice in the Waco area as y'all did.  I can string together a list of a few tree folks for y'all if you need.  

• Hook 'Em 1