2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

3 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Here is the link to the current CoA Budget:

https://assets.austintexas.gov/budget/22-23/downloads/FY23_Approved_Budget.pdf

Scroll to page 178 and you will see that AE transfers $105M this year. I think Austin Water sends like $20M.

So realistically 60 miles of buried lines per year and 400 new employees at awu to ride their job to pension while not doing a thing that actually matters or makes our infrastructure better. Maybe we are better off if awu keeps transferring their funds.

Edited by HOOKEM4
ousux

55 minutes ago, ztejas said:

How many neighborhoods in Austin actually have buried lines? Mine does which is nice and I didn't notice it until yesterday - and it isnt new development - maybe 70s or 80s. Have had power and internet the whole time. 

My neighborhood has buried lines, but the issue is the lines that feed into it from the older neighborhoods are above ground, so we sometimes lose power if a line goes down.  Thankfully not this time.  

Power still out here in 38. And cell phone coverage in and out.  Went to the police department today. They set up a room for people to hang out in. Had coffee, cookies, power, and Wi-Fi. Charged the work computer and took a few conference calls. Well done police department. Ellen Troxclair showed up for a bit to volunteer. Sidnt really have any info on AE power restoration but said it could take longer than they are projecting. I told her she was looking good and thanks for the info. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

21 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

West side of Westlake Hills has no power and no water. Did get out and try the new pizza place in Rollingwood.  Dumb name (Lover Boy Pizza) but good pizza and delicious salad. 

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Get it with extra anchovies. 
image.jpeg.b1ea5660dc6e862007dca16ddee52221.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Power still out here in 38. And cell phone coverage in and out.  Went to the police department today. They set up a room for people to hang out in. Had coffee, cookies, power, and Wi-Fi. Charged the work computer and took a few conference calls. Well done police department. Ellen Troxclair showed up for a bit to volunteer. Sidnt really have any info on AE power restoration but said it could take longer than they are projecting. I told her she was looking good and thanks for the info. 

Your Troxclair pics aren’t showing up.
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Going to guess that Anastasia is not black, nttawwt?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

Still out for me in 78749.. running low on firewood so hoping they can make something happen tomorrow.

If you get into a hard spot and willing to make a trip up 71, I’ll let you take away as much as you can carry. It is wet and green oak, but burns ok with a hot coal bed and some propane assist as needed. Lord knows I am about to have a lot of new live oak wood for replacement. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

No power on our side of the street in Crestview (78757)

there’s going to be a particular subset of PTSD named for Austin 

Power still out at my parents' place in 57 as well.

I took a generator to them yesterday and they still have natural gas and plenty of firewood.  They're welcome to come out to my place but they prefer to stay at home.

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Going to guess that Anastasia is not black, nttawwt?

That police palace was built on a bond package that passed by nine votes. If I got to pay for that shit you goddamned right I am about to eat my cookies and use my generators to change my computer. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

Still out for me in 78749.. running low on firewood so hoping they can make something happen tomorrow.

You need to start worrying about how you are gonna get your ac going. Firewood is so last week. I am just being an asshole. I feel for you folks without power. 

Generator is a must this day in age. 2023 and we need a goddamn self supplied power source. That's a thing evidently.

• Hook 'Em 1

Semi related.. we have a gas log starter in the fireplace. Do they make an insert you can just place over the log starter so you could easily convert back and forth to wood/gas?

I was almost thinking to clean the ashes out and dump a bunch of lava rocks in there to run the gas all day if I ran out of wood..

3 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Power out in 78736.. Austin Zoo area. Power out down the 290 west corridor since about 1030am today. 

2021 never lost power.

2023>2021 qed.

If things get real squirrely you can sneak over to the zoo and snatch up a peacock or two to roast. Dems good eatin. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hornian said:

Power still out at 360/2222, but able to come to my family's lake house (cabin, really) out at Hudson Bend. It never lost power. Should've come up here a couple days back. 

Now you have power but you also have to deal with meth heads walking down the yellow stripe and screaming at you at 6am while you try to get to work. I love the bend. Let's get a beer and some coke off a urinal at the tavern!

Still out in 34 and my cell reception is spotty. I'm out since Wed at 2. My office off 360 near West Lake is without power too. I had to work at a friend's house.

I went to bed at 7:30 because there is nothing to do. I am so tired of this. At least my oaks made it near my driveway. They've  been treated for oak wilt 3 or 4 times so I was worried for them. 

7 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

In Bee Cave Woods power is still out.  Looks like they are working on it.  

Not too far from you.  Saw a crew last night on Walsh tarlton and site map had updated.  Crew now gone and outage map has it all back to pending. I do hear reverse beeps now though. 
Ours is still out.  48hrs and counting.  I know the moment we get a hotel, it’ll come back on 

going to shower at Gregory, maybe the women’s.  

Edited by YGIFS