2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

2 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Still out in 34 and my cell reception is spotty. I'm out since Wed at 2. My office off 360 near West Lake is without power too. I had to work at a friend's house.

I went to bed at 7:30 because there is nothing to do. I am so tired of this. At least my oaks made it near my driveway. They've  been treated for oak wilt 3 or 4 times so I was worried for them. 

Is that one in your back yard still alive?

8 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I have a “baby” from the Treaty Oak that is about 11 feet tall. It was bent over all the way to the ground yesterday. I took a hose and sprayed it down for a while to remove the ice. It’s doing quite well now, almost vertical again.

All oaks are important, but that one is special.

How did you get one of those? Did you steal an acorn?

Can I get one of your tree's acorns?

9 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

Semi related.. we have a gas log starter in the fireplace. Do they make an insert you can just place over the log starter so you could easily convert back and forth to wood/gas?

I was almost thinking to clean the ashes out and dump a bunch of lava rocks in there to run the gas all day if I ran out of wood..

It can be done.  

https://www.woodlanddirect.com/how-to-convert-your-wood-burning-fireplace-to-gas-logs.html

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know if this will help any; on Txag there is an Austin forum and a user there seems to work for AE in some capacity. I grabbed a shot of a recent post, and the location after someone asked where the photo was taken. Looks like there is a lot to do to get things operational in some neighborhoods.

Downwirestxag.png.d78922c4bf83fc5c87eb77af78cddf55.pngLocationdownwires.png.9d544664b4665420edbe6d4775c96cf0.png

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't know if this will help any; on Txag there is an Austin forum and a user there seems to work for AE in some capacity. I grabbed a shot of a recent post, and the location after someone asked where the photo was taken. Looks like there is a lot to do to get things operational in some neighborhoods.

Downwirestxag.png.d78922c4bf83fc5c87eb77af78cddf55.pngLocationdownwires.png.9d544664b4665420edbe6d4775c96cf0.png

If you want to clean up a thunderstorm, give me some marines. If you want to clean up an ice storm, give me some aggies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

How did you get one of those? Did you steal an acorn?

Can I get one of your tree's acorns?

A friend's mother gathered some acorns years back and planted them in pots. I was lucky enough to get one. It hasn't produced acornds yet, but I'd be more than happy to share with you. In the shorter term, you might be able to gather your own acorns from the tree. I dont think anyone would stop you. If you're not in town, I can swing by and see what I can find.

9 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
13 hours ago, ftf82 said:
West side of Westlake Hills has no power and no water. Did get out and try the new pizza place in Rollingwood.  Dumb name (Lover Boy Pizza) but good pizza and delicious salad. 

Are they working for the WEEKEND?

You want a pizza that’s hot?

Status unchanged in 78703. In fact, it's eerily quiet. No crews, no activity, nothing.

Feel forgotten.

**driving around my darken neighborhood last night, i did learn those wall mounted porch lanterns you see at some houses are indeed actually powered by gas - only thing lit as you drive down a street.

Edited by yoladu
  • Rage+1 1

Aside from the tree carnage, we were without power for about 40 hours.  Cold temps allowed us to store food outside in coolers and the power came back just in time.  At least here in SW Austin, if you avoided any overpasses, roads were mostly fine and I hit up the gym on Tuesday without much of an issue.  They actually opened up yesterday at 5 PM and I quickly went there to power up and use their wifi.  City trees are going to look terrible for a while, especially parkland and greenbelts.  Sucks.  I had some solid damage on our property but looking at other houses in our neighborhood, we got off relatively easy.  We have a chainsaw and I am relatively able-bodied so aside from some really high limbs, I can handle a lot of the clean up... probably 80%.  Feel bad for people who can't.  Going to work on our property then try to find someone to get the stuff way up high.  Also going to get myself some future firewood from the trees in the parks.  I mean, I'm helping out, right?

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Still no power in the '27 (Duval and Mopac). Most of my neighborhood has power, except for a couple of blocks around my house. Ironically, we were the only blocks that didn't lose power in 2021. So since this outage only impacts a small section of houses, I'm getting worried that we are proper fucked.

Same in my block of 78751. Only lost power for 18 hours in 2021. Thinking was we are on a hospital grid. Going on 53 hours right now and the next block is up and running. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Status unchanged in 78703. In fact, it's eerily quiet. No crews, no activity, nothing.

Feel forgotten.

**driving around my darken neighborhood last night, i did learn those wall mounted porch lanterns you see at some houses are indeed actually powered by gas - only thing lit as you drive down a street.

We did the same thing. Never seen this neighborhood so quiet and dark with no street lights even. Just the gas lanterns and a few well-prepared houses with a generator.

28 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Feel forgotten.

we're in 03 and same experience.  dark quiet eery ghost town with only light being gas lit porch lights.  zero crews or activity and still no fucking power.  we're getting out of town for the weekend if not back on by late afternoon.  fucking sucks.  

I gotta tell ya.....I am just super fucking discouraged and demoralized.  There are still 122k customers still out.  Re-powering is really freaking hard, both in physical infrastructure fixes and debris removal, and the technical issues with cold starts of a line that gets overloaded with all kinds of demand hitting it at once.  There's just SO much to do, and only so many crews to do it, only so many parts in storage to do repairs, etc.

At this point, I am not expecting power back in our hood till Monday.  Maybe.  It's just fucking tiring.  I want to go home, to a home with power and heat.  And I'm lucky, we have a lifeboat at my dad's house, so we can at least sleep in warmth.  But my wife and I are spending the days at my office, nights at my dads, and no time at our actual home.

And I have co-workers who have it much worse, with actual damage to their homes, some of which will prevent power restoration.  So, need to spend this weekend helping some of them.

Shit, I just looked down, and the jeans I grabbed from my closet in the dark are work jeans, with stains and such on them.  Whatever, don't give a shit.  I'm dressed, in a warm office, and making a go of it.  Good luck to everyone else out there.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Around 230a this morning power started cycling on an off in my entire hood.  On for 2 mins, off for 3 or 4, on again.... 90 mins went by with it on and off around 15 times.

Went off for the last time around 4.   I would guess that around 60% of my hood now have power. I dont... and since we are no longer a "2,000 addresses without power group" the rest of us are going to be shit out of luck for a few more days

• Rage+1 3

My mom, who lives in 78750, has been at our house since Tuesday morning.  Still no electricity at her apartment.  I just realized we're going to have to throw out nearly everything in her refrigerator and freezer.  What a pain and waste.  I have no expectation that the electricity will be back on until early next week.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

My mom, who lives in 78750, has been at our house since Tuesday morning.  Still no electricity at her apartment.  I just realized we're going to have to throw out nearly everything in her refrigerator and freezer.  What a pain and waste.  I have no expectation that the electricity will be back on until early next week.  I hope I'm wrong.

I checked our fridges and freezers last night.  Freezers are actually holding up, although tonight, I'm bagging up anything worth saving and taking it to my dad's to put in his extra freezer space.

Fridges are already a total loss.  There are a few things in there (jellies, sauces) that can handle not being refrigerated for a few days, but everything else -- adios.  And of course, trash pickup was....yesterday.  So, will have that rank shit in the trash for a week.  And all-in-all, that will be our "big loss," so counting our blessings.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I checked our fridges and freezers last night.  Freezers are actually holding up, although tonight, I'm bagging up anything worth saving and taking it to my dad's to put in his extra freezer space.

Fridges are already a total loss.  There are a few things in there (jellies, sauces) that can handle not being refrigerated for a few days, but everything else -- adios.  And of course, trash pickup was....yesterday.  So, will have that rank shit in the trash for a week.  And all-in-all, that will be our "big loss," so counting our blessings.

I'll run by her apartment this afternoon to see if there is anything in the freezer worth saving and toss the other stuff in the dumpster.

ETA:  our trash day was yesterday, but because of the weather, trash pickup is a day or two behind.  You might get lucky with that.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, that's the double kick to the nuts.

No power and $300+ of groceries that we never ate.

Still no trucks in our part of 31. Not a word from AE.

I get it, the work is tough and time consuming, but I'd like to know where we are in line so I can plan. I think we were one of the first to lose power late Tuesday/ early wed.

I'm also keeping an eye on PECs outage map and watching that thing make more progress than AE.

2 minutes ago, smoky said:

Yeah, that's the double kick to the nuts.

No power and $300+ of groceries that we never ate.

Still no trucks in our part of 31. Not a word from AE.

I get it, the work is tough and time consuming, but I'd like to know where we are in line so I can plan. I think we were one of the first to lose power late Tuesday/ early wed.

I'm also keeping an eye on PECs outage map and watching that thing make more progress than AE.

We're just on the edge of 31, in the leading edge of 59.  Nada.  No work trucks, nothing.  And yes, we're pretty sure our area was among the first to lose power in that timeframe.  At this point, just fuck it, it doesn't fucking matter.  Turn it back on fucking whenever, I don't fucking care anymore.  Next week, next month, not a fucking thing I can fucking do about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 back up and running it seems. Power cycled a few times over night and some time around 3 or so came back on for good. Freezers all held temp, fridge essentials went to the cooler outside so fairly unscathed other than the tree Fallujah that needs to get cleaned up. Gonna need to buy a bigger chainsaw I think for some of the trunk material on the big oak. 

• Hook 'Em 1

i imagine there is going to be a huge run at the groceries stores as well. I figure most people's refrigerator contents are a total loss.

this is going to hit the working poor much harder than those posting during the day from our cozy offices. Grocery prices are already through the roof ( I am sure replenishing one's refrigerator was not in people's monthly budgets).

Edited by yoladu
  • Rage+1 2

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We're just on the edge of 31, in the leading edge of 59.  Nada.  No work trucks, nothing.  And yes, we're pretty sure our area was among the first to lose power in that timeframe.  At this point, just fuck it, it doesn't fucking matter.  Turn it back on fucking whenever, I don't fucking care anymore.  Next week, next month, not a fucking thing I can fucking do about it.

Think about how low your electric bill will be next month!

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:
15 hours ago, ftf82 said:
West side of Westlake Hills has no power and no water. Did get out and try the new pizza place in Rollingwood.  Dumb name (Lover Boy Pizza) but good pizza and delicious salad. 

Are they working for the WEEKEND?

Everybody needs a second chance.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

There's probably going to be a run on pruning paint very soon. If you don't have a decent supply on hand, I'd recommend getting to Lowe's/HD asap. Check online to see which locations still have them in stock. Several are completely out, but a few say that have a couple hundred cans left.

Pretty sure you can just use latex paint to seal the oak tree damage.  I don't see how we won't have lots of oak wilt damage in the days to come.

13 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Pretty sure you can just use latex paint to seal the oak tree damage.  I don't see how we won't have lots of oak wilt damage in the days to come.

Yeah, already saw some guy at Breed & Co buying a dozen cans of the icide paint.  I’m hoping he’s gonna pass it out to neighbors and not gouge sale it.     Thankfully, we only lost a handful of smaller limbs that I can easily paint.  But neighbors on opposite sides of me got numerous full trees whacked.  So if they get, I get it.  And then 4, and then 8, and then 16. And that’s how you die of Oak AIDS

14 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

We've had our trash cans out since Monday night.  Trash day was Tuesday.  Trash guys obviously didn't come.  And I wasn't going to hump those things back down the driveway in the ice.

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I haven't seen the office this busy on a Fri in months, hell maybe since before covid. People coming in to warm up, charge devices, get some work done and oh yeah, take a hot shower in the locker rooms.

Our office is empty.  We have people who are without power and even without water.  But they're still not coming to the office.

Man--some fuckers are really committed to this work-from-home bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2