2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

My power is restored. At first, for all of 5 minutes. Then about 30 minutes later, it came back up. I unplugged everything that I don't use appliance wise and lowered my thermostat so it wouldn't run for a while. I don't want the power to shut down again. I hope this is over for me.

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Hook 'Em 6

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I'll smoke the shit out some brisket with live oak, red oak, whatever. As mentioned it needs a good cure. 

Shit, I might drive around Hyde Park this weekend in the truck with my chainsaw and offer assistance for a bed full of pecan.  I miss having a bunch of that shit all the time, self-pruning motherfuckers those pecan trees. 

every armature bbq guy in the state should be in Austin collecting wood 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 AISD schools still without power, all bus terminals without power (which means no fueling).

The district’s central warehouse finally had power restored today, and it holds thousands of pounds of food for distribution.

The think power will be back for almost all facilities today/Saturday, and schools open on Monday.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, Underdog said:

Reportedly -104 WC at Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. 

The one employee I supervise was at his 2nd house in Bangor Maine yesterday, wind chill was 50 below.  He went outside to shovel snow and his phone battery went dead in about 15 minutes while it was in his pocket.  Fuck that.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

So apparently the tree trimming companies are buying out all of the bar and chain oil. Had to have my mother pick up a bottle in Killeen. 

I understand they don’t want to run out and its good if they don’t run out, but hopefully inventory gets shifted quickly. I’m sure there’s some motor oils that would work but I don’t trust the internet and don’t know the weight of oil that’s normally used. 

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So apparently the tree trimming companies are buying out all of the bar and chain oil. Had to have my mother pick up a bottle in Killeen. 

I understand they don’t want to run out and its good if they don’t run out, but hopefully inventory gets shifted quickly. I’m sure there’s some motor oils that would work but I don’t trust the internet and don’t know the weight of oil that’s normally used. 

It’s generally normal 10w 30.  You can go buy a quart at autozone.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

It’s generally normal 10w 30.  You can go buy a quart at autozone.  

If that’s correct, you’d think the pros would know that and buy it in gallons of 10w-30 instead of 20 little 4oz bottles or whatever that cost so much more per ounce. 

but I guess people that start and run tree trimming services generally aren’t SAE members. 

Well just got internet back. Power went off for about six hours on Wednesday and been on since then. No cell service for 3 days, no internet for 4 days.

Trees are just destroyed. Had a nice shady lawn that looked like a gem in the spring/early summer. Now I think I might have to completely cut down the trees that gave shade and do something else. The weather in Central Texas is just so fucking brutal. 105 degrees for days on end with no rain for months and then we also get brutal winter weather too. 

Personally, I'd rather the 2021 experience over this (but also didn't freeze to death or have pipe breaks). The trees. Fuck man. You just can't easily replace them.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Around 80 hours and counting for us. Heading over to our house in a few to work on cleanup etc. Gonna grabs coffee and biscuit first because I fucking want to.

Yep. 75 here. Going to get breakfast tacos and coffee and try not to start drinking too early at the Crown for the basketball game this afternoon. 

• Drool 1

Grandma gives it 4 stars

“I got this because my grandsons are fascinated with chain saws and I thought this would be a good learning tool for them. I was correct. Under close supervision, they are learning about how to use a chain saw safely. This saw is also very handy for modest cutting jobs like trimming branches and cutting up fallen sticks. It has to be manually oiled frequently with the oil provided. The case is quite handy as well as the many accessories, including two extra chains which I feel will be needed soon. Overall, its a great little tool when used appropriately and a good learning tool for up and coming woodsmen!”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If that’s correct, you’d think the pros would know that and buy it in gallons of 10w-30 instead of 20 little 4oz bottles or whatever that cost so much more per ounce. 

but I guess people that start and run tree trimming services generally aren’t SAE members. 

Wait, I thought you were talking about bar and chain oil.  If you’re talking about 2 stroke oil then NO, don’t use 10w-30.  That said Home Depot had premixed 50-1 yesterday, but the chainsaw aisle was full of slack-jawed yokels milling in circles.  

6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Wait, I thought you were talking about bar and chain oil.  If you’re talking about 2 stroke oil then NO, don’t use 10w-30.  That said Home Depot had premixed 50-1 yesterday, but the chainsaw aisle was full of slack-jawed yokels milling in circles.  

I am.  Just looked and the ryobi brand is actually a 24 oz bottle. Looked like a smaller bottle from the pic. Did the opposite of the above chainsaw I guess. 

it’s ryobi, it’s electric. 2 stroke oil doesn’t belong anywhere near it. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I am.  Just looked and the ryobi brand is actually a 24 oz bottle. Looked like a smaller bottle from the pic. Did the opposite of the above chainsaw I guess. 

it’s ryobi, it’s electric. 2 stroke oil doesn’t belong anywhere near it. 

Ok was just clarifying.  So yeah bar and chain use 30w, unless it’s really cold, then you can use thinner stuff.  

79 hours and counting with no power. 

can someone clue me in on laundromats? It’s been 30 years since I last used one. 

still coin operated? 

Do you have to use that  gnarly powered soap there or can you bring your own?

is there unwritten laundromat etiquette I should be aware of?

79 hours and counting with no power. 

can someone clue me in on laundromats? It’s been 30 years since I last used one. 
still coin operated? 
Do you have to use that  gnarly powered soap there or can you bring your own?
is there unwritten laundromat etiquette I should be aware of?

The good thing about laundromats is that you can do all of your laundry at the same time. It’s much faster. The bad thing about laundromats is that you are at one.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, yoladu said:

there unwritten laundromat etiquette I should be aware of?

Don’t wash what you are wearing. 
If its crowded, don’t use 4 machines at once. (If it’s crowded you probably won’t have access to that many anyway)

bring your own soap. 

Some of those places have a staff and you can pay by the pound for them to wash, dry, and fold for you and you just pick it up. Might be worth it unless you need the heat and power to warm up and charge up so you will be there anyway. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1