2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

Was heading to Taco Deli this afternoon and all of Westlake Village still out.  They have the H‑E‑B up and running but everything else closed.  Sucks for those businesses.  Matt’s will be extra crowded tonight with Lupe’s closed. 

Now it seems we are under a boil water notice.  

https://www.austintexas.gov/news/austin-water-issues-precautionary-citywide-boil-water-notice-mandatory-emergency-water-use-restrictions-are-issued

17 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Was heading to Taco Deli this afternoon and all of Westlake Village still out.  They have the H‑E‑B up and running but everything else closed.  Sucks for those businesses.  Matt’s will be extra crowded tonight with Lupe’s closed. 

Now it seems we are under a boil water notice.  

https://www.austintexas.gov/news/austin-water-issues-precautionary-citywide-boil-water-notice-mandatory-emergency-water-use-restrictions-are-issued

Dude, I’m too drunk for your mistaken dates. Keep it current. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

all of you saying you are tossing everything in the freezer must either have had nothing in the freezer to begin with or some seriously shitty sealing.

Ive been out since around 2a on Wed. and i was about to go buy some ice to transfer my freezer shit into my tailgate yeti, opened the door and there is a solid frost on everything still, meat is still frozen solid, hell I have a full tray of ice cubes in my automatic ice maker. 

I will probably have to reevalute in another day, but right now its pretty darn frozen. 

I guess it is illegal to haul your freezer outside when it’s freezing.

7 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Grandma gives it 4 stars

“I got this because my grandsons are fascinated with chain saws and I thought this would be a good learning tool for them. I was correct. Under close supervision, they are learning about how to use a chain saw safely. This saw is also very handy for modest cutting jobs like trimming branches and cutting up fallen sticks. It has to be manually oiled frequently with the oil provided. The case is quite handy as well as the many accessories, including two extra chains which I feel will be needed soon. Overall, its a great little tool when used appropriately and a good learning tool for up and coming woodsmen!”

His nickname now is "Up and Coming Woodsman", right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

"Pardon me sir, but have you a moment to learn of my tree removal service, 'Barks All Day'?"  

She's a strange dog. She rips the lower branches off the young trees in the back of the yard at just the right height so that she can scratch her butt against the branch stubs. 

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That’s a fucking badass dog.

Thanks. Husky/heeler mix. She's a little toughie. All the clown of a husky without the desire to escape and run.

Edited by Deej

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Sitting on our front porch in the sunshine drinking beer with the neighbors, so that’s nice. Generator and space heater are getting our bedroom habitable, so maybe we sleep in our own bed tonight.
But, the fuckig replacement chains I bought for my chainsaw off Amazon, which I just installed today….couldn’t cut soft butter. They’re useless. So, I can’t even help cut limbs (or gather any of the abundant firewood). Will order some better ones, I guess. But shit, what’s the point of chains that can only cut balsa wood?
Oh, and my guess on our power restoration: next Monday.
Oh, and at 9:00 am tomorrow, we’ll hit the 100 hr mark. Our prize is fuck you.

Do you have the chain in backwards?

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

I've been chainsawing for three days now!  My chainsaw sucked cock by choice for years, but last summer I put on a new carburetor and chain.  What a fucking pleasure to cut with a great running, sharp chainsaw!  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If I have limbs broken 20-30 feet up that I can’t get to to seal up, am I SOL?  Or do I need to find a way up there or be at risk of losing the tree?

If they weren't sealed almost immediately then dont worry about it.  Its too late.  Also, because oak wilt is transmitted to neighboring trees through roots, all of your neighbors would have to had sealed all of their wounds immediately as well.  I guess you could seal yours and then trench your property to be really safe.

Oak wilt sucks but I see people in my neighborhood getting their trees trimmed at the worst time of year for wilt, the crews don't paint and we dont have wilt.

21 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Do you have the chain in backwards?

No, dude.  I’ve changed a chain before.  Just bought super shitty ones on Amazon.

generator is doing its job.  Bedroom is livable.  We’re gonna sleep at home tonight,  because we can.

No hot water, though.  Gas water heater, but I suspect an electric thermostat?

3 hours ago, Cap33 said:

I might murder someone. Fucking Monday.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

If you’re going to murder somebody, (1) Don’t tell say the day on which you’ll commit the murder, and (2) Don’t post about your plans on a message board. That’s how Lee Harvey Oswald got caught.

If you’re going to do it, GET OFF SURLY AND DO IT RIGHT FUCKING NOW.  Get the body cut up, and in small bags, and get it dumped in apartment/condo dumpsters in areas that lost power, because those dumpsters are full of a shit-ton of rotting food from full fridges and nobody will notice the smell of a human body.  If you want to get fancy/are paranoid, take a bunch of those bags of rotting food and stick them into your bags of body parts.  Get the bags of parts deeper into the mix of dumpster bags, because raccoons and possums are going crazy at night and may inadvertently get some of your bags open,

Do What I Say When I Say It Pulp Fiction GIF by MIRAMAX

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vanderpool said:

Is anyone else getting a little worried that school might get cancelled again on Monday? I’m in 78729 and I know our elementary school was still without power this afternoon. 

If your kids’ school doesn’t have power, they will be in touch with you.  I don’t think they’ll be bussing them elsewhere, so if your school is out, your kids are home.  Don’t hold me to that.

Only 7 schools are without power in Austin, and they sent out messages this afternoon saying they are trying to get those open, and it’s a priority of sorts for AE. But regardless, they will be open on Monday everywhere else.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No, dude.  I’ve changed a chain before.  Just bought super shitty ones on Amazon.

generator is doing its job.  Bedroom is livable.  We’re gonna sleep at home tonight,  because we can.

No hot water, though.  Gas water heater, but I suspect an electric thermostat?

Well shit, HD is out of chains and I just bought some replacement ones on amazon. Hope they aren’t crap. 

Checking in. Still without power. 88 hours now. Unless they get me restored by 8 am Sunday I’ll break 100 hours.
And I have a sneaking suspicion that whenever the power comes back on my internet (spectrum) will still be out. 

You’re thinking exactly like me.
You should probably worry about that.

The 100 hour club, very prestigious. Smells of leather and rich mahogany.

From what I’ve gathered, I live just across 360 from some of the 88 hour club, and fortunately we haven’t lost power on this go round.

A few years ago we used to lose power monthly for 1-6 hours at a time. Then snowpocalypse came and half the neighborhood went out for 3 days but we were good. 

I think AE finally made a permanent fix over by the Bull Creek park off of 360 and we’ve been good since. Sucks to hear about y’all neighbors up on the hill when I pull out of my neighborhood.

Spent four hours working on trees yesterday afternoon\evening and another nine today. Basically got it all done but a little more burning to do.  Sad thing is I can look around the yard now and still see $2000 worth of pruning needing to be done.

I will make a guilty admission. Chain slipped off the chainsaw once today and I walked to the back yard while untangling it to go ask the lady something. Turns out, once I got back to the saw to put it back on, I put it it on backwards. 

Our cul-de-sac stacked all our shit on one corner. It’s about 5 feet high and about 25 feet long. That’s just for 6 houses. Hopefully CoA gets around to it before next February.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, hornian said:

Checking in. Still without power. 88 hours now. Unless they get me restored by 8 am Sunday I’ll break 100 hours.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that whenever the power comes back on my internet (spectrum) will still be out. 

Power is back, so didn’t quite make it to 100 hours. Right at about 96 hours. 

As I suspected, spectrum is out though. 

• Hook 'Em 4