2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

1 hour ago, hornian said:

Power is back, so didn’t quite make it to 100 hours. Right at about 96 hours. 

As I suspected, spectrum is out though. 

Spectrum is back up. And unlike Austin Energy they were able to troubleshoot and get me back online in a matter of minutes. 

Got nothing to add except my heart/prayers/juju/naoch goes out to y’all.  In 2021 we went about 14 hours without, then sporadically on/off for three more days but never reached Mogadishu-levels of frozen household…and it was still misery, plus y’all don’t have any snow for the kids to play in.  Can’t imagine 100 hours.  

• Like 1

Have any of y’all been restored without getting text notice of a crew being assigned? Is the info on the outage map being updated as far as whether crew is assigned, eta etc—- I think AE said they’re not updating it because all resources are in the field? Feeling really hopeless in 78757 and dreading going into office without lighting or shower to get ready … not to mention all the morning tasks with dog and getting kid to school. 121 customers in my outage, another 138 one street over 

• Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, yoladu said:

The third world. 

Our Council Member posted her attempt of an explanation for our outages on Nextdoor, which a friend set me last night. Basically, if you're north of 29th, AE can't figure out why you don't have power yet. If you're south of 29th, you're fucked for a while.

20 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Have any of y’all been restored without getting text notice of a crew being assigned? Is the info on the outage map being updated as far as whether crew is assigned, eta etc—- I think AE said they’re not updating it because all resources are in the field? Feeling really hopeless in 78757 and dreading going into office without lighting or shower to get ready … not to mention all the morning tasks with dog and getting kid to school. 121 customers in my outage, another 138 one street over 

Ours was restored yesterday without any texts about crews. I had checked the outage map around midnight and the status hadn't changed from when I first reported it days earlier. The only text I got was when they restored power.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am well and past the 100 hour club.   The app finally showed some workcrews on the fringe edge of the "greater neighborhood" around 5a this morning.

Slight hope for those neighbors, but I am an entire major street away from that crew, and what looks like 5 seperate  other outtages

I really don't want to have to fucking go into work tomorrow  dammit

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Not us. We got the text about a crew being assigned around 2 am and then a text power was restored about an hour later. However it went out again but was restored again around 6am. All of that was texted to me. 

78759, just across the 78731 line. No power. Am thinking that my 100 hour club jacket should have a shawl cut, so that it’s appropriate for sitting around and drinking whiskey in the dark.
Portable genny ran like a dream all night. Kept our bedroom warm. And let an exhausted me just crash- I slept 10 hours (I never do that).
Getting ready to turn the genny off, let it rest as the outside temp warms the house.

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

78759, just across the 78731 line. No power. Am thinking that my 100 hour club jacket should have a shawl cut, so that it’s appropriate for sitting around and drinking whiskey in the dark.
Portable genny ran like a dream all night. Kept our bedroom warm. And let an exhausted me just crash- I slept 10 hours (I never do that).
Getting ready to turn the genny off, let it rest as the outside temp warms the house.

welcome to the club...no secret handshake but the secret code word will be sent in the mail by Austin Energy.  you'll need some lemon juice.

• Like 1

$700/hr is the going rate?

It's whatever people will pay, right now. 

Yep. At our corner gas station, have seen a constant stream of work trucks with trailers and tree gear. Manned by…anyone with working arms. Shit, one dude had his regular crew plus his middle school kids in the truck - “no school this week? Pinche bullshit, get in the truck, earn some money, pendejos!”
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Deej said:

Tree service was working across the street, so I approached them and asked how much to remove the tree from my deck and the one laying on my roof. Guy comes and looks at it and says, "$750". 

"I might just handle it myself. But give me your number."

He gives me his number and walks off. 

A few minutes later and there's a knock at the door. 

"$350."

Deal.

30 minutes later and all that shit is gone and I'm drinking beer out on my deck again.

Give me his number. 

A neighbor of my in-laws in NW Hills 78731, had a crew stop by and do their yard.  They cleared the grounds and pulled down hanging limbs, cut it down to a more manageable size, and stacked it at the curb.  They didn't haul away, since the city will eventually be doing that in the coming weeks.  They did this for $150.

This isn't some 2-acre site, just a normal size house near Hart Lane.

If you're interested I'm happy to PM you the name and number.  No secret, just don't want some scraper bot to pick up his number and start spamming it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, utee94 said:

A neighbor of my in-laws in NW Hills 78731, had a crew stop by and do their yard.  They cleared the grounds and pulled down hanging limbs, cut it down to a more manageable size, and stacked it at the curb.  They didn't haul away, since the city will eventually be doing that in the coming weeks.  They did this for $150.

This isn't some 2-acre site, just a normal size house near Hart Lane.

If you're interested I'm happy to PM you the name and number.  No secret, just don't want some scraper bot to pick up his number and start spamming it.

Pm sent. 

In Cedar Park they're trying to work out the details of how to manage the disposal of all the tree limbs. They've done a damn good job communicating via their website, email, social, etc., that there are 3 options for limb disposal:

• Curbside pickup on your weekly trash day of up to seven 4' bundles (tied off; not loose shit)
  • Citizens can hire someone to haul off on your own dime, or take out to the dump in Hutto (they even include rates)
  • Free dump off at a location TBD on Feb 11 and 12

They're also working on a city-wide curbside pickup program but have been clear that this will take several weeks to organize so think about that before you just pile up a mountain of limbs in the street outside of your house. My anecdotal experience is that about 95% of the people are just throwing everying on the curb/street and saying "fuck it, I'm done with this shit."

I went ahead and bundled the shit that I can manage and since tomorrow's our regular trash day I've got my seven piles next to my trash & recycle cans. Several husbands in the neighborhood who just piled loose shit everywhere are now giving me the "my wife is asking why our shit isn't bundled" look. Sorry guys. Can't help ya. If my tree guys won't haul it off for free/nominal fee when they're out in a week or two to clean up the live oaks and handle shit I couldn't, then I figure I've got a month to put the bundles out 7 at a time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

In Cedar Park they're trying to work out the details of how to manage the disposal of all the tree limbs. They've done a damn good job communicating via their website, email, social, etc., that there are 3 options for limb disposal:

• Curbside pickup on your weekly trash day of up to seven 4' bundles (tied off; not loose shit)
  • Citizens can hire someone to haul off on your own dime, or take out to the dump in Hutto (they even include rates)
  • Free dump off at a location TBD on Feb 11 and 12

They're also working on a city-wide curbside pickup program but have been clear that this will take several weeks to organize so think about that before you just pile up a mountain of limbs in the street outside of your house. My anecdotal experience is that about 95% of the people are just throwing everying on the curb/street and saying "fuck it, I'm done with this shit."

I went ahead and bundled the shit that I can manage and since tomorrow's our regular trash day I've got my seven piles next to my trash & recycle cans. Several husbands in the neighborhood who just piled loose shit everywhere are now giving me the "my wife is asking why our shit isn't bundled" look. Sorry guys. Can't help ya. If my tree guys won't haul it off for free/nominal fee when they're out in a week or two to clean up the live oaks and handle shit I couldn't, then I figure I've got a month to put the bundles out 7 at a time.

In 2021 the CP had crews pickup ALL limbs within a couple of weeks, and I expect them to do the same this time.  For most of it they just sent out chipper crews and worked from house to house.  The damage wasn't as bad then as it is now, but I'm fine with loose stacking for now and then waiting for them to manage it, as they did 2 years ago.  I have no interest in cutting down this much wood and bundling into bite-size chunks to let the weekly crews take care of it over a period of 4-6 weeks, which is what it would take to get rid of all my broken shit at the rate they're proposing for bundled batches.

Bottom line-- the other municipalities are arranging to haul away loose wood, and my expectations are that the CP must do so as well.

At 103 his and counting. We have only seen trucks driving by, not working. Neighbor has had a wire down in his driveway (not hot) since Wednesday morning at 5:30 which is why we are without. Have zero hope for restoration anytime soon.

Generator has been surprisingly efficient, only used about 150 gallons so far. We are so lucky to get it installed Thursday a week ago.

• Like 1

I understand. And CP is absolutely going to have a bulk curbside option but the warning is that it may be weeks out. I know a lot of people don't have the time, strength, desire, etc to use the existing option. I just walked around the block while checking the mail & surveying the neighborhood damage. I counted one other house with bundled waste on the curb.

Just be extra cautious driving through the neighborhoods. Everything is essentially one lane, obviously. And kids are everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

Now we’ve got the neighborhood busybodies bitching about one house that still has a tree down blocking a lane. “It’s been days, why havent they shown down initiative and cleared it themselves!”
Bitch…it’s a 100+ year old oak with a fucking 5-6 FOOT diameter trunk. How big is YOUR chainsaw? What don’t YOU go and help them?

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, hornian said:

Spectrum is back up. And unlike Austin Energy they were able to troubleshoot and get me back online in a matter of minutes. 

How did you get them to come out? They keep saying I am in an outage and they are working to fix it. The kids have been forced to go outside to play so maybe it is a blessing in da skies.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Now we’ve got the neighborhood busybodies bitching about one house that still has a tree down blocking a lane. “It’s been days, why havent they shown down initiative and cleared it themselves!”
Bitch…it’s a 100+ year old oak with a fucking 5-6 FOOT diameter trunk. How big is YOUR chainsaw? What don’t YOU go and help them?

I am proud of our hood. Yesterday a large amount of people were out helping clear the debris. We have a large park to put all the brush for a bonfire. People pulled trailers around and collected the debris from homes and other swarmed the park to clear all the fallen stuff. Amazing what people can get done when everyone chips in.

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Sounds like a job for @GhostOfTomJoad.

148DF7A3-F3ED-40A8-B120-89971ECF4642.jpeg

I'm telling ya, that might be the best eighty bucks she's ever spent. I totally figured it would break within minutes, but it ran like a champ and cut through branches it had no business tackling. The best thing about it is being able to easily reach up and cut things a legit saw can't fit into, and a lopper couldn't handle. Highly recommend it.

• Hook 'Em 4

I’ve been out of power for 200+ hours twice in my life: once from a tornado that got just close enough to destroy the substation near my grid (waco area), and one when I was a 3rd or 4th grader when we lived in South Jersey (the garden part of the garden state) from an ice storm/blizzard combo.   That one we were without power for 2 weeks.  No school for almost 3 weeks.  Almost all power lines up there are underground, but we got 2 inches of ice followed by almost 2 feet of snow…then another 1-1.5 inches of ice.   The second ice run smashed all the snow and ice down into about 4 inches of bois d’ arc @Brisketexan hard on that nothing could melt/crack/plow.  We were resigned to making stews out of whatever meats/veggies/canned shit for quite a while as the grocery stores didn’t have anything to sell for about 2 different 4 day stretches.   Complete shit show.   

all this to say….yeah it sucks, but it could be worse.   All this “3rd world” chickenhawk talk is fucking laughable and bitchassedness at its finest.  Remember many of our fellow Texans went nearly 3 weeks without power after Harvey, and understand that there ain’t shit you can do about ice storms other than move to Miami or San Diego 

• Hook 'Em 2

I am proud of our hood. Yesterday a large amount of people were out helping clear the debris. We have a large park to put all the brush for a bonfire. People pulled trailers around and collected the debris from homes and other swarmed the park to clear all the fallen stuff. Amazing what people can get done when everyone chips in.

That’s what pissed us off the most about the bitching. The ONLY busted trees not yet cleared are either 1) giant-ass trees that regular chainsaws can’t cut, and 2) trees/limbs touching power lines. At some point, the amateurs have done all they can, and here, they did so well and quickly. But Karen has to bitch about people not removing the fucking fallen sequoia.

A utility repair truck with a parts trailer in tow circled my block real slow. I got my hopes up. But I circled the block 20 minutes later and no sight of the truck so he must have just been lost or was just doing recon. The wait continues. It was the first repair truck I have seen since our outage began.

Maybe my power will be on by Wednesday. The number of customers with outages continues to fall but the actual number of outages remains persistently high above that 1500 mark. I need to drink more.

• Hook 'Em 2

After Ike in 2008, we were without power for 15 days. The houses across the street had power back after 3 days. We had a one month old baby, so we left after 5 days to stay at the MIL’s house. It was freaking miserable. I feel for those of you still without power. I have an aunt that lives off Far West that is still without power.

It is taking all of my fucking inner strength to not become the "life sucks sometimes" bully on the wooten Facebook page.

Karen #1 is so mad at the city of Austin and Spencer cronk that she is gathering people to do a class action lawsuit against the city (shes "not a lawyer, but a court reporter so knows a few attorneys who may be interested in filing") holy christ

Pretty sure the city and its enoyees are indemnified against that karen

The very first reply was, "its an ice storm, chill"

She doubles down and keeps saying its all the cities fault

the hero of the hour says, maybe time to get a generator

And Karen #2 comes in to tell him that he needs to check his privilege

Oh the fucking irony of all ironies, telling someone to check their privilege in a threat about SUING THE CITY FOR AN ICE STORM

fuck there is no way the human race survives another 200 years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nextdoor is equally off its rocker. Posts asking for neighbors to turn off their generators because the sound of the generators are too annoying. 

if you have infants, particularly with medical conditions, get yourself to a hotel. Even if it is 30 miles away. Nobody is turning their generator off until they get their power back. 

Just finished an afternoon of helping a family member cut and stage stuff. This picture is what is done so far- it’s 1/2 to 2/3 of the total job. 

but, no power issues for them. 

got back home to a couple of cherry pickers from PEC in the ‘hood- didn’t know anyone was still without here. 

6FD973C8-DCFD-4E24-B583-13FD2D50AAF3.jpeg