2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

In other news....

It looks like winter in CenTex is dead, save the late March/early April inevitable 3 nights of 25 and below since my Arizona Ash is already budding and my St Augustine is starting to peek some green slivers.  

Yeah, it's hitting 90 degrees here at the house. In February. I'm an idiot for living here.

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

It looks like winter in CenTex is dead

Yep, I figure we'll get 1 or 2 more cold snaps that last 2-3 days at most, but winter seems pretty much over. On the plus side, should get a taste of legit Spring in the near future. Forecast for next week and especially next weekend looks way more pleasant (~75/55) than this week's stretch of "Late May in February." 

Less than 3 weeks until DST and sunsets won't occur until 7:30 or later. 

@Hpara759 That was a biblical level dust storm y'all had up there in the Panhandle/South Plains.

I'm further south in Big Spring, taking some time off of work, to handle the affairs/house of my mom who passed away recently (fuck cancer). I'd known West Texas has been in a drought for a while, but I don't recall nearly so many dust storms when I grew up here.

It gets bad down here too, but not like that. Fortunately, we only have cotton farms north of here so not nearly so much exposed dirt.

Came here to post this:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Austin may set a record today. Forecast high of 90. Previous record high on 2/28 was 89 back in 1932.

First week of February in Austin.  Balls nearly froze off.  Last week of February in Austin.  Balls sweating off.  

I honestly don't mind the variance.  My flora and grass do, but I think it's kinda interesting.  

I just wish we had this kinda 60 degree variance in highs in August.  Wouldn't it be fun as shit if one week in August was 110 and then another week it was 50?  I'd fucking love that.  Instead, we got socked into some bullshit where it only wobbles 10 degrees either way for 4 fucking months.  This was actually a good February except for power failure, drought, and general malaise.  

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Austin Energy sending out notices that with the 50mph and up gusts starting tomorrow night, there might be outages in the area.

Wait What Reaction GIF by 100 Thieves

Why is this hard to understand?

Strong wind breaks tree. Tree falls on power line. Power outage.

Am I missing sarcasm or something here?

Edited by Orange&White

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Austin Energy sending out notices that with the 50mph and up gusts starting tomorrow night, there might be outages in the area.

Wait What Reaction GIF by 100 Thieves

Spencer Cronk did this.gif

like school districts cancelling school at the smallest percentage chance of precipitation and 32 degree weather, those of us in austin are going to be getting blasted for a quite a while with warnings about possible power outages any time there is a remote threat of an isolated outage 

• Rage+1 1

I agree they are overreacting, but talked to an arborist friend today. Said there are a lot of damaged limbs and trees out there. 50MPH can cause widespread damage. 

Me, I am going to run my 6 generators and piss off the neighbors if I lose power. Or maybe grab a flashlight. Don't know yet. 

4 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Why is this hard to understand?
Strong wind breaks tree. Tree falls on power line. Power outage.

Am I missing sarcasm or something here?

Just fun with them being a little too proactive now,

Of course, I can think of a tree or two in my neighborhood that might come down in 50mph winds on a power line because the asshole owners wouldn’t trim them pre-ice storm and they are in poor shape after the ice. and if any of them come down on my power line, I’m going to be in the fucking news, and not in the good way.

• Hook 'Em 1

Crazy cell just came through San Marcos. Pretty fun gusts and hail. we were not supposed to get shit this morning. 

Have not seen it rain and hail like that in a few years. Marble size, so enough to fuck up my plants that of course I put out and watered knowing winter was over. 

You can thank me later. 

Need a PhDhorn or some expert on here to weigh in.  Daughter's first confession is this evening in preparation for her First Communion.  Never mind my cynicism.  She's a wonderful little person but if it hails and there's a fucking tornado warning tonight, that'll set her back psychologically at least a year.  It looks like 5-8 is gonna be a shitshow.  Somebody please tell me what's gonna happen.

18 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Need a PhDhorn or some expert on here to weigh in.  Daughter's first confession is this evening in preparation for her First Communion.  Never mind my cynicism.  She's a wonderful little person but if it hails and there's a fucking tornado warning tonight, that'll set her back psychologically at least a year.  It looks like 5-8 is gonna be a shitshow.  Somebody please tell me what's gonna happen.

The Episcopal Church welcomes you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Is it the Power of Christ that compels us?  

Seriously, safety first.  But if shit goes sideways, she's gonna think it's because of her confession.  On top of that, our family priest is flying in tomorrow during extreme weather where he is (blizzard conditions) and where we are (tornado/t-storms).  God, it would appear, is not entirely without a sense of humor this week.  

Stay safe y'all.  We do need the rain.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Seriously, safety first.  But if shit goes sideways, she's gonna think it's because of her confession.  On top of that, our family priest is flying in tomorrow during extreme weather where he is (blizzard conditions) and where we are (tornado/t-storms).  God, it would appear, is not entirely without a sense of humor this week.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

YGIFS is a master of the name-drop, no doubt, but the status-drop is an even more artful form, and he excels at that as well.  Bravo!

I mean, there are a couple of Methodist preachers out there that I'll have some beers with from time to time, but I definitely don't have anyone that I'd refer to as "our family priest."

• Haha 1

I don’t want to start any blasphemous rumors, but I think that God has a sick sense of humor.

Here is the latest from the NWS:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Most of the severe stuff should be to the NE of the Austin metro, but it can’t be completely ruled out.
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, utee94 said:

YGIFS is a master of the name-drop, no doubt, but the status-drop is an even more artful form, and he excels at that as well.  Bravo!

I mean, there are a couple of Methodist preachers out there that I'll have some beers with from time to time, but I definitely don't have anyone that I'd refer to as "our family priest."

Name drop?  It’s my wife’s cousin. And he’s a priest.  I don’t know how else to describe him. He’s in her family and he’s a dude of the cloth.  I mean, you’ve never in your whole life said something like “my cousin is an electrician and he told me to check the breakers”

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Name drop?  It’s my wife’s cousin. And he’s a priest.  I don’t know how else to describe him. He’s in her family and he’s a dude of the cloth.  I mean, you’ve never in your whole life said something like “my cousin is an electrician and he told me to check the breakers”

My family's electrician has never said to try something as simple as that, because he knows we would have already checked them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Well I certainly don't fly him in just to check the breakers.  There better at least be some kind of legitimate arc fault, otherwise all he gets is a bus ticket.