2022-2023 Winter Weather Thread

Hate

10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Why does your fireplace log look like the little xeno alien coming out of the mommy xeno alien?  What the hell are you up to?  

I'm not sure what that, Xeno, is which you are referencing but, the white is some mail I was burning. And I had just put a new log inside the insert. 

10 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I'm not sure what that, Xeno, is which you are referencing but, the white is some mail I was burning. And I had just put a new log inside the insert. 

Xeno = xenomorph, which is the alien from the Alien movie franchise. 

1461667250-alien-3-ripley.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

So it looks like Buffalo got at least six feet of snow. Lake Erie, not being frozen yet, turned into a Firehose of Snow.

It’s insane how much snow they got in a day and a half.

The most I remember us here, 165 miles south of Buffalo, getting in one day was 30 inches.

South Austin’s mom scoffs at 30 inches in a single day. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

Some models are hinting at a possible significant weather event this Thanksgiving and into the weekend.  The Panhandle and parts of West Texas could be looking at a blizzard. 

file.php?id=19698&t=1

Yeah, saw where NWS in Midland posted something about that earlier. Glad this is not our year to head up there, but my two brothers are supposed to head that direction and do a whirlwind trip out to the GC, and their travel timeline is very tight, so am keeping an eye on it for them. Will be interested to see how the models move the next day or so. 

• 2 weeks later...

The global models are signaling there may be another cold snap coming.  It's a few days out still so a lot can change.  It is typical for the models to "see it" and then "drop it" far out, but there are several pro mets starting to talk about it as well.

gem_T850a_us_40.png

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Hate said:

The global models are signaling there may be another cold snap coming.  It's a few days out still so a lot can change.  It is typical for the models to "see it" and then "drop it" far out, but there are several pro mets starting to talk about it as well.

gem_T850a_us_40.png

Until then, it's April again. 70's and 80's all the way through Sunday.

gem_T850a_us_40.png

Come to Butthead

If I'm going to put up all this Christmas shit it better feel like Christmas weather.
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, YGIFS said:

85 degrees on Wednesday?  A totally awesome thing that happens while putting up Christmas lights.  

At least the back half of December is shaping up to be half-ass seasonal in nature.  

This is why you should have put them up back in November, when it was actually cold. Get with the program!

Yeah, but I'm a Thanksgiving purist.  No decorations inside or outside until at least the Friday after T-Day, if not the following week.  

Had the ceiling fans on all night to sleep because I didn't want to turn the A/C back on.  Wasn't too bad.  Wednesday's gonna be ball washing day for sure.  Should probably call South Austin's Mom.  

They can tell me they were here before me, that's true.  But nobody was here "First."  It's a thread about weather, I'm gonna call out weird shit when I see/feel it.  We've had the most fucking bizarre Autumn in Austin this year, and that's fucking saying something.  

Wednesday actually getting dialed back down to high 70's.  Thursday now in the low 80's with high humidity and chances for rain.  Gonna have to change my ball-washing appointment.  

Anyway, back half of December looking normal.  Grass is going completely dormant about now, thankfully after some rain.  Leaves are a beautiful array of colors this late in the season which is cool to see.  Maybe we'll get lucky and catch a holiday snow.  

2 hours ago, Hate said:

If you want to see snow this winter, you might want to head to West Texas. I don’t believe this will verify as it is still a long ways out, but if it did???

97224ed9dbd40ad5fc491e5dbabee9f6.jpg

please please please please please please please...

(Ski Santa Fe plans loading.......)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/5/2022 at 6:34 PM, YGIFS said:

85 degrees on Wednesday?  A totally awesome thing that happens while putting up Christmas lights.  

At least the back half of December is shaping up to be half-ass seasonal in nature.  

85 at Houston Hobby on Tuesday (today).

5 hours ago, Hate said:

Here is the latest. It's still a long way out, but there are a lot pro-mets that are seeing some cold air in our future.

file.php?id=19739&mode=view

Pro-Mets?  I thought wanting less than 85 degrees in December meant we were pro-Yankee?

That actually looks kinda fucking dicey.  Wow.  Maybe snow on Christmas Eve.  Maybe Dystopian battles in the streets.  Hard to say at this point.  Thankful all we have to do is mass and dinner in Dripping Springs on Christmas Eve.  Hope all y'all traveling farther make plans accordingly and stay safe.  Shit like that in January or February is one thing, but right at the Solstice is kinda weird.  Gonna need some firewood and drugs.  

There are still a lot of details to be realized, but the cold air should arrive in Texas Tuesday night into Wednesday.  Some of the meteorologist I follow are concerned it could get very cold.  The cold may last well into January as well as there are multiple cold shots forecast to arrive over the next few weeks.  Nothing to panic about because it is still a ways out, but the patterns resemble several historical cold snaps that we have had, so it is certainly something to watch for.

And from a professional I see on the weather forums I follow:

I do think there is a chance we could see historic cold, but in order for it to happen we need to have a significant snowpack develop from North Texas up to northern Nebraska. This system on Monday should have northern Nebraska covered. If we can get a large snowpack then single digit temperatures will be possible all the way down to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

In order for most of Texas to get really cold, you need to have a healthy snow pack up to the north of us.  That may happen over the next couple of weeks.  The week after Christmas may be really really cold...and as always, the key words here are "if this verifies".

snow_probhazards_d8_14_contours-2.png

Screenshot_20221209-191221_Samsung-Inter