Houston Christian@Texas tipoff 8pm - could this school be called an HBCU?

SL Xpress

You know, a Houston Baptist-Christian University?

Here's an LHN link if you are a subscriber:

https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=d3270976-562a-4136-b06a-7461835b02d9

Here's the link to the streaming audio with Craig Way and Eddie Mumbledore Oran:

https://texassports.com/sports/2014/11/19/GEN_1119144623.aspx

The biggest thing about this opponent is that they've changed their name from Houston Baptist University to Houston Christian University, even though the web address is still hbu.edu

They lost to Florida International 77-66 in their season opener on Monday night after leading at half time 41-32. Brycen Long was their leading scorer going 8-11 from BTA and scoring 28 points. They played 8 players total, with 3 players receiving more than 35 minutes. Florida International won mostly by turning HCU over 22 times to their 14. Florida International runs a full court press all game, so that's their identity. 

I honestly don't really care much about matchups in this one. I know Beard would tell us in a press conference that HCU is going to be a tournament team in his mind, and he has all the respect in the world for head coach Ron Cottrell, if he was having one just prior to this game. The guy has been at HCU for 32 years, so imagine a story where Beard grew up in the same town as Cottrell, or his daughter babysat Beard when he was young, or some other absurd connection that Beard seems to make about every single person he talks about. 

Nonetheless, this is less about the opponent and more about getting reps in preparation for Gonzaga, and all of us know it. 

There shouldn't be any reason Texas loses the rebounding battle with these guys. But it's not a good test for it, either. I want to see a relatively high scoring game - at least on our end - with a lot of transition buckets, and good dribble penetration from our guards. And everyone come out of it healthy. Not sure if I have any other expectations, but maybe someone else can bring something up. I guess 3 point shooting above 35%? That should definitely be doable. I honestly don't care about winning margin of victory as much as I should. Just keep trying to improve. As long as we win none of these creampuff games matter that much other than trying to improve as a team. 

As usual, I'm just glad to have an opportunity to see them play again.

Any thoughts prior to tipoff?

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't have any idea, but I did see a student complaining about having to wait in line to get in the door at 4pm for a 6pm tipoff encouraging students to skip a late class. It was specifically in regards to the policy of giving 1000 tickets to the Gonzaga game next week to students who attend this one. Given that there's only 1400 student tickets total (plus some SRO in a closed off bar area where only the front row can see the action) that's a big incentive to make it early for this game. 

It also might be done to address - at least in part - what has apparently been horrendous parking issues. 8pm getting in and around that area is going to at least be mildly easier than 6:30-7.

But I want to emphasize these are complete pull it out of my ass guesses, and is in no way meant to actually bring an informed opinion to the conversation.

went to HBU-Rice last year at HBU's place as something to do with my sports-obsessed cousin.  tiny gym, smaller than my high school's.  about 5 rows of bleachers, basically every seat is in the game.  football team walked in about halfway through the first and started trash talking everyone, pretty hilarious.  little-league caliber concessions.  wasn't too bad a night. 

Holy shit. I forgot all about this. I read about it, but didn't really personally connect to the story until just now.

Houston Christian lost their best player this past summer:

https://www.si.com/college/2022/06/20/houston-baptsit-star-darius-lee-dies-21-years-old

"Houston Baptist basketball player Darius Lee was killed in the early hours of Monday morning after a shooting in his hometown of Harlem, N.Y. Lee was 21. 

Officers responded around 12:40 a.m. to reports of a shooting which left eight other people wounded, per ESPN. Lee, who was home for summer break, was the only fatality.

“We are devastated. Darius was a remarkable young man who loved the Lord, his mom, his family, his teammates, his friends and his entire HBU family,” Houston Baptist coach Ron Cottrell wrote in a statement. “We are in shock and cannot wrap our heads around this news. My heart breaks for his mom, his sister and his entire family, and for our basketball team.”"

Just now, SL Xpress said:

Holy shit. I forgot all about this. I read about it, but didn't really personally connect to the story until just now.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/06/20/houston-baptsit-star-darius-lee-dies-21-years-old

"Houston Baptist basketball player Darius Lee was killed in the early hours of Monday morning after a shooting in his hometown of Harlem, N.Y. Lee was 21. 

Officers responded around 12:40 a.m. to reports of a shooting which left eight other people wounded, per ESPN. Lee, who was home for summer break, was the only fatality.

“We are devastated. Darius was a remarkable young man who loved the Lord, his mom, his family, his teammates, his friends and his entire HBU family,” Houston Baptist coach Ron Cottrell wrote in a statement. “We are in shock and cannot wrap our heads around this news. My heart breaks for his mom, his sister and his entire family, and for our basketball team.”"

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Advantage Texas?

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I play the radio play by play and then I have software that syncs up the feeds automatically.

remote control raymond GIF by TV Land

No injuries, first and foremost. I'm also hoping that we continue to drive to the basket and pull the trigger when we get an open look. One of the things I found frustrating last year was our seeming inability to recognize an opportunity early in the shot clock, and that seemed to be much improved in game 1. Basketball is more fun to watch when I'm not constantly screaming "JUST SHOOT THE FUCKING BALL" at Askew.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

remote control raymond GIF by TV Land

No injuries, first and foremost. I'm also hoping that we continue to drive to the basket and pull the trigger when we get an open look. One of the things I found frustrating last year was our seeming inability to recognize an opportunity early in the shot clock, and that seemed to be much improved in game 1. Basketball is more fun to watch when I'm not constantly screaming "JUST SHOOT THE FUCKING BALL" at Askew.

Without a doubt. Everyone on the team at one point or another. But Askew was the worst for sure.