This Thanksgiving and Christmas, hold your lie believing misinformation MAGA Relatives accountable!

horn4life

I ain’t saying shit.  My cousin who hosts and went down the Q/MAGA rabbit hole blames Mexicans for everything even though our moms are From Mexico.  But she makes delicious side dishes.  

my in laws have been bred to hate everything brown, gay, or pro choice.  As irony would have it, they have a gay nephew.  And their son in laws are Vietnamese, Black, and Hispanic.  But they are otherwise incredibly kind people.  To me anyway.  Which is weird.  Cause I’m brown.  And hate Trump.  Maybe it’s my personality ?  Nope. 

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Somewhere on texags, some aggy just made the exact same post, only 180 degrees inverted.

100% correct. They want to live in their reality where all liberals are lazy freeloaders who want to put the country under authoritarian rule with fraudulent elections and forced inoculations, abort newborns, and perform gender reassignment surgeries on preschoolers. 

Any evidence to the contrary is tuned out.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I have a cousin that nobody likes so he comes to my parents' house on Thanksgiving now because they feel sorry for him.  A few years ago he was bashing Beto and saying that anyone that voted for him over Cruz is an idiot while my wife, brother and I just glared at him.  Last year he walks in and already has this pulled up on his phone:

image.jpeg.1d0fe5f1b44aca752b1c18649fc8ffb5.jpeg

The last thing we want to do is argue with my parents on holiday's in front of my kids but I have told them if he comes this year we'll be going to Hoovers.

We have been lucky to keep the malignantly retarded side of the family in East Texas where they can fellate Trump, blame Mexicans, and dirty knuckle each other to their hearts content. Life is too short to spend time with dangerously ignorant chucklefucks who cannot discuss an issue without bringing clear and provable lies as their standard practice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

The holidays are the highlight of the year for most rednecks like myself. There’s going to be a fight and it’s going to be great. My dad used to put out boxing gloves for when my uncles got too drunk and felt like their honor was at stake. 

Redneck festivus?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Our gatherings (25-30 people) for holiday parties are almost universally politic-talk free. Everyone knows it's not polite and is counterproductive and there are wide ranges of political opinion. I don't know, maybe we are rare in that way. We also don't serve or drink booze, so maybe that helps (tons of little kids), as people are less apt to get mouthy or controversial when drinking tea.

Edited by MeerkatBong
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I have a cousin that nobody likes so he comes to my parents' house on Thanksgiving now because they feel sorry for him.  A few years ago he was bashing Beto and saying that anyone that voted for him over Cruz is an idiot while my wife, brother and I just glared at him.  Last year he walks in and already has this pulled up on his phone:

image.jpeg.1d0fe5f1b44aca752b1c18649fc8ffb5.jpeg

The last thing we want to do is argue with my parents on holiday's in front of my kids but I have told them if he comes this year we'll be going to Hoovers.

I'm doing a (relatively) small gathering at my place...no dumbshit in-laws.

Our gatherings (25-30 people) for holiday parties are almost universally politic-talk free. Everyone knows it's not polite and is counterproductive and there are wide ranges of political opinion. I don't know, maybe we are rare in that way. We also don't serve or drink booze, so maybe that helps (tons of little kids), as people are less apt to get mouthy or controversial when drinking tea.

No alcohol? In the spirit of bipartisanship we all need to hold this guy accountable.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I guess I also should have clarified.  I am not saying get into a debate.  Just a dismissal, like... "Is there any stupid lie you won't believe, and repeat? Good Lord!" with your eyes rolling and a laugh coming.

Anything more than that, and you will go down a rabbit hole of denial that will engulf the next several hours with dumbass "but whatabout" endless false "truths" they "heard about...."

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I guess I also should have clarified.  I am not saying get into a debate.  Just a dismissal, like... "Is there any stupid lie you won't believe, and repeat? Good Lord!" with your eyes rolling and a laugh coming.

Anything more than that, and you will go down a rabbit hole of denial that will engulf the next several hours with dumbass "but whatabout" endless false "truths" they "heard about...."

I read a good story about “boundary phrases” that everyone should use. Things like “im not your target audience for that joke or this topic” or “wow I’m embarrassed you would say that outloud” or “what is the response you are looking for when you say that?” Etc.

• Hook 'Em 5

I never talk politics in real life because I'm not a monster. Outside of this website, Trump and the GOP don't exist to me. What's the point? My family is mostly the same--even the ones that I know to be reliable, straight-ticket R's--but it is funny that, even among educated, successful adults, certain buzzwords can't get uttered by a nearby television without prompting an automatic scoff or oh-so-hilarious one-liner. Words like:

Biden

Any name that sounds remotely similar to Hillary

California

Laptop

Various lives and whether they matter

Russia

I guess it's impossible to turn off years of Fox News programming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

When you get to be my age you start to realize that there's no point in spending your one, little GRANTED life arguing with folks who you will never convince.  So whenever politics arises at one of our gatherings I just say "you know, I used to talk politics with my friends and family until one day it dawned on me that literally nobody gives a shit what my dumbass thinks."  The point gets made but by calling myself the dumbass it's made in a self-deprecating way that everybody laughs at, especially the real dumbass since, in his mind, I'm the dumbass.

Self-deprecating Gandalf is best Gandalf.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I ain’t saying shit.  My cousin who hosts and went down the Q/MAGA rabbit hole blames Mexicans for everything even though our moms are From Mexico.  But she makes delicious side dishes.  

my in laws have been bred to hate everything brown, gay, or pro choice.  As irony would have it, they have a gay nephew.  And their son in laws are Vietnamese, Black, and Hispanic.  But they are otherwise incredibly kind people.  To me anyway.  Which is weird.  Cause I’m brown.  And hate Trump.  Maybe it’s my personality ?  Nope. 

They hate all the ones they don't know....but wind up liking the very few they've actually been forced to get to know either through work or having someone in their immediate family bring home a black or Hispanic friend.  Almost all my relatives in east Texas and southern Arkansas are like that. It's selective racism.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I fully understand everyone whose position is to not discuss politics. And for two hundreds years that was a sound strategy. 

However, we are now dealing with an extreme disconnect from reality. If your peer and family groups are anything like mine, you have four groups:

1. Strong supporters of the left

2. Strong supporters of the right

3. Those who are unhappy with both parties, but lean either left or right

4. Those that just stay nice and polite with everyone to keep the peace and keep their thoughts to themselves. 

It is my viewpoint that until Group #4 calls out the bullshit, we will continue to slide into an untenable morass. They are the only group that can change some minds. I’ve been waiting for these people to grow a pair for quite some time. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

My personal favorite is when an overweight, drunk, middle aged man inevitably goes for the "this sport has gotten so soft, just like this country, pussy/woke liberals killed them both" rant.

This country has been soft since Nagasaki got 20 kilotons of atomic energy dropped on its ass.  Let's see how much of a badass uncle Seth is when you drop him in a den of Somali pirates or amongst a crowd of Niger Delta Bad Boys.  Thems some hard mother fuckers.

• Drool 1

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I fully understand everyone whose position is to not discuss politics. And for two hundreds years that was a sound strategy. 

However, we are now dealing with an extreme disconnect from reality. If your peer and family groups are anything like mine, you have four groups:

1. Strong supporters of the left

2. Strong supporters of the right

3. Those who are unhappy with both parties, but lean either left or right

4. Those that just stay nice and polite with everyone to keep the peace and keep their thoughts to themselves. 

It is my viewpoint that until Group #4 calls out the bullshit, we will continue to slide into an untenable morass. They are the only group that can change some minds. I’ve been waiting for these people to grow a pair for quite some time. 

8bacc8ef-1fdc-4e4b-ad95-22807241c7f8_tex

Just found out my qanon in-law who has literally screamed at relatives who are vaccinated for harming her with their protein shedding or whatever and gotten angry at us for vaccinating our kids against childhood illnesses that used to kill kids...is diabetic and on insulin (and still unemployed which means her dad and step-mom are footing the bill).

I don't like shirring shit up with relatives at family gatherings, but If she goes on another anti-vaccine/anti-big Pharma rant...I'm.....

the cook GIF

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, troph said:

Ain’t seeing my family or hers for thanksgiving, we are taking my boys on a week long road trip from San Fransisco through wine country and through the redwoods, then over to the coast, turn around and go back down to Mendocino and back to SF. Best part is no one is in the forests then so they are quiet, peaceful, and remote as they are intended to be. Thanksgiving day over looking the coastal cliffs, couple of B&B type suites to lay around after a morning hike and then fixed menu for a traditional thanksgiving at a farm to table restaurant around the corner.  No bullshit, no politics, just gratitude and love. I’ll see my family for Christmas they don’t get to fuck up my favorite holiday, thanksgiving. 

That sounds awesome. 

My fav line to use is --Mom, I think you're on to something. Pack your things and let me get you on a plane to DC immediately.  Republicans everywhere need the evidence that you have of liberal cheating so they can finally present something in court to back up their lawsuits.  I can't believe you would selfishly hold back this information for so long.  Hurry up, let's go.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, troph said:

Ain’t seeing my family or hers for thanksgiving, we are taking my boys on a week long road trip from San Fransisco through wine country and through the redwoods, then over to the coast, turn around and go back down to Mendocino and back to SF. Best part is no one is in the forests then so they are quiet, peaceful, and remote as they are intended to be. Thanksgiving day over looking the coastal cliffs, couple of B&B type suites to lay around after a morning hike and then fixed menu for a traditional thanksgiving at a farm to table restaurant around the corner.  No bullshit, no politics, just gratitude and love. I’ll see my family for Christmas they don’t get to fuck up my favorite holiday, thanksgiving. 

I am sorry... I don't see the phrase " watching football " anywhere in your post.

17 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

A few years ago he was bashing Beto and saying that anyone that voted for him over Cruz is an idiot while my wife, brother and I just glared at him.

I can handle someone that has different opinions than me, but there is nothing worse than a person who can only argue the other side are idiots. Especially as their opening line.

13 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

So a big crowd, lots of kids, and no fucking booze. That sounds awesome. Do you also boil the turkey?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I can handle someone that has different opinions than me, but there is nothing worse than a person who can only argue the other side are idiots. Especially as their opening line.

Heh

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You can always say "Well then spell idiot, idiot!"  To which an angry response is,  "  I... D....O?...."  (I figure that's probably at least a 20% response rate)

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I tend to be the guy who people think MIGHT  launch into a profanity laced tirade about family, fun, and football and how big of a self-centered prick/ douchebag you must be to interject your bullshit into said fun times... so people tend to not do that shit at our holiday gatherings.

A little bit of crazy goes a long way.  That, and everyone can see the results of your life decisions on full display, so better to keep it quiet and rail against Jerry Jones or pineapple in the jello mold before you get called out in front of your kids. Leave your politics at home.

Edited by slorch

10 hours ago, troph said:

Can you adopt me before next week?

10 hours ago, troph said:

paul giamatti GIF by Sideways - The Play

• Haha 1

We have a smallish family with just my parents (both life long Rs), their 3 kids, 3 kid's spouses, and one grandkid who is <1year old. My parents are full on "all politics sucks" these days since Trump was elected and hate talking about it. 4 of the next generation are Ds and the other 2 i'm sure vote R but have never said anything political I can ever remember.

It makes for the most boring 4 D vs 4 R holiday season every year. No fights and now with a baby in the mix it'll be even more civil. Disgusting. 

• Haha 1