This Thanksgiving and Christmas, hold your lie believing misinformation MAGA Relatives accountable!

horn4life

10 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

My mother inlaw bought 2 turkeys a month ago because my father inlaw learned from Fox that there would be an extreme shortage and outrageous prices.

I was over there a week ago and he reiterated. "They say it's going to be really bad for turkeys this year."  I tried to swallow it, but couldn't, so I replied, "Who's 'they'? The same people who told you my kids would have fentynal mixed in with their snickers for Halloween?"

My mom said the same thing. I told her there’s an entire section of them at HEB. “We’ll, that’s what I heard.”

• Hook 'Em 1

My in laws said the same thing verbatim 

“it’s going to be really bad for the turkeys this year because of Biden.”

and I sarcastically said in the background “yeah, it’s gonna be bad for them because they’re being slaughtered and eaten”

wife was not amused.  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

My mother inlaw bought 2 turkeys a month ago because my father inlaw learned from Fox that there would be an extreme shortage and outrageous prices.

I was over there a week ago and he reiterated. "They say it's going to be really bad for turkeys this year."  I tried to swallow it, but couldn't, so I replied, "Who's 'they'? The same people who told you my kids would have fentynal mixed in with their snickers for Halloween?"

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

My mom said the same thing. I told her there’s an entire section of them at HEB. “We’ll, that’s what I heard.”

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

My in laws said the same thing verbatim 

“it’s going to be really bad for the turkeys this year because of Biden.”

and I sarcastically said in the background “yeah, it’s gonna be bad for them because they’re being slaughtered and eaten”

wife was not amused.  

Waiting patiently to hear this from the MIL.  It's definitely coming.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

He and her family are coming this year despite my mom's best efforts to dissuade them. They're too far gone. 

My mom said to be on our best behavior and I told her I would but only for so long.  

Don’t dread it.  Enjoy it.   Lean into it.  Talk about how Fox News betrayed Trump.   Maybe even push DeSantis, because unlike Trump, he wasn’t willing to shut things down, and DeSantis didn’t lose the House, the Senate, the Presidency, and now the ‘22 midterms, and DeSantis won’t trust our foreign policy to Jared Kushner.  Talk about how Mitch and McCarthy betrayed MAGA.

Stoke that Republican civil war.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

In September, the USDA warned that turkey production would be lower for 2022 and possibly for the first half of 2023. Because of that forecast, several news organizations erroneously assumed a turkey shortage—among those was Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC and others. The ‘turkey shortage’ became the headline story despite the National Turkey Federation assurance that there was no shortage.

Our new outlets are only slightly more dependable than Twitter for accurately informing the public.

20 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I fully understand everyone whose position is to not discuss politics. And for two hundreds years that was a sound strategy. 

However, we are now dealing with an extreme disconnect from reality. If your peer and family groups are anything like mine, you have four groups:

1. Strong supporters of the left

2. Strong supporters of the right

3. Those who are unhappy with both parties, but lean either left or right

4. Those that just stay nice and polite with everyone to keep the peace and keep their thoughts to themselves. 

It is my viewpoint that until Group #4 calls out the bullshit, we will continue to slide into an untenable morass. They are the only group that can change some minds. I’ve been waiting for these people to grow a pair for quite some time. 

You will not convince anybody of anything. You're just robbing yourself of joy.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Cacti said:

In September, the USDA warned that turkey production would be lower for 2022 and possibly for the first half of 2023. Because of that forecast, several news organizations erroneously assumed a turkey shortage—among those was Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC and others. The ‘turkey shortage’ became the headline story despite the National Turkey Federation assurance that there was no shortage.

Our new outlets are only slightly more dependable than Twitter for accurately informing the public.

mortimer_duke.jpg

20 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don’t dread it.  Enjoy it.   Lean into it.  Talk about how Fox News betrayed Trump.   Maybe even push DeSantis, because unlike Trump, he wasn’t willing to shut things down, and DeSantis didn’t lose the House, the Senate, the Presidency, and now the ‘22 midterms, and DeSantis won’t trust our foreign policy to Jared Kushner.  Talk about how Mitch and McCarthy betrayed MAGA.

Stoke that Republican civil war.

I’m not sure if campaigning for DeSantis is the right way to go.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

You will not convince anybody of anything. You're just robbing yourself of joy.

I hear and understand but it’s a dangerous path if we all stop talking to each other due to politics. And I’ve cut people off as well, usually the politics was more of a final straw.

if we can’t talk, what is left? Violence?

We’ll be celebrating T-giving with 1) my former Repub dad, who hates Trump and what the GQP has done to the country, and now openly supports dem candidates, 2) a Jewish family who are dear friends of ours, and 3) my wife’s gay business partner and his husband. So….we’ll surely end up talking politics, but w won’t need to convince anyone with facts or evidence. They’ve all already seen quite enough.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I hear and understand but it’s a dangerous path if we all stop talking to each other due to politics. And I’ve cut people off as well, usually the politics was more of a final straw.

Yes. That’s what’s left.
If they steadfastly refuse to listen to to accept objective facts, and instead gorge on a diet of hate and cruelty, that’s exactly what’s left. See Buffalo, El Paso, Pittsburgh…..

57 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Violence? No. 

Remembering the good times you've had with those same people. Peace. Laughter. It's not hard. There are some in my group who try to troll me, flashing the lures they think will get me to bite. I remain a placid Buddha.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

The expensive Turkey line was one I too got from my Father, and my wife got from her mother.  Never underestimate the ability of Fox News to spoon feed stupidity to the Republican masses in the name of profit.   What's hilarious is my wife bought a Ham at HEB Sunday to get... a FREE FUCKING TURKEY!   Just like you can get every fucking year!

I definitely need to add the "and how much did your turkey cost this year?" to my list of questions I get to ask with a laugh.  But again.  It is very important to understand, your friends, families and neighbors WANT to believe lies. 

Be a Patriot!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Even if there is a turkey shortage, no one cares. Thanksgiving sides are the best but I would take prime rib or a ribeye over turkey any Thanksgiving of the week.  We could only hope there truly is a shortage.

But then again, it goes hand in hand with being a conservative. You do things just because you were taught to do so.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Even if there is a turkey shortage, no one cares. Thanksgiving sides are the best but I would take prime rib or a ribeye over turkey any Thanksgiving of the week.  We could only hope there truly is a shortage.

But then again, it goes hand in hand with being a conservative. You do things just because you were taught to do so.

I’d prefer a good smoked ham.  

• Hook 'Em 2

My wife was on a group call with her brother & sister the other day talking about Thanksgiving plans. We live the closest to their mom so we're going to go spend the weekend with her while BIL & SIL spend it with their families. They're glad we're checking in on mom & both start to share tips about how we can get a free turkey at HEB if we buy a ham (as if 3 people would need that much).

Mrs GOTJ then tells her siblings she recently learned their mom doesn't care for turkey & she really loves when I grill steak & lobster for her so that's what we're gonna do for the feast.

MAGA BIL then chimes in with "it will probably cost less than a turkey thanks to Brandon." Not even 5 minutes after telling us how to get a free turkey. Gonna be a shame not to see him next week.

• Haha 7

I fully understand everyone whose position is to not discuss politics. And for two hundreds years that was a sound strategy. 
However, we are now dealing with an extreme disconnect from reality. If your peer and family groups are anything like mine, you have four groups:
1. Strong supporters of the left
2. Strong supporters of the right
3. Those who are unhappy with both parties, but lean either left or right
4. Those that just stay nice and polite with everyone to keep the peace and keep their thoughts to themselves. 
It is my viewpoint that until Group #4 calls out the bullshit, we will continue to slide into an untenable morass. They are the only group that can change some minds. I’ve been waiting for these people to grow a pair for quite some time. 

They won't. Some people are so averse to any confrontation at all that they would rather live in silent misery than upset a single apple cart.

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

People don't live in the real world anymore. 90% of what they see comes from a screen of some kind. They believe turkeys are out of stock because they saw a picture somewhere; they didn't experience it in person. They believe Portland burned down because someone told them that over and over while they were looking at a picture of a building on fire. They believe there's a crime wave because they saw video of a crime that happened somewhere, sometime. They believe there's a border crisis because they saw a video of some brown people wading across a river somewhere, sometime. They believe skittles have rainbow fentanyl because a cop said so on camera.

There is no literal public square anymore. Nobody does anything in person, anymore. Even if you go to a game at DKR, you're virtually forced to pay attention to an enormous screen that's somehow even worse than the amount of intrusive ads you'd have dealt with watching a fucking television broadcast.

It's pretty crazy how in the 90s and mid-00s we dreamed of a future where tedious bullshit could be eliminated with technology, where I can walk into an HEB, grab a six pack, and check myself out, where if I needed to wait in a long-ass line at least I could play video games or watch tv or do something to be less bored.

Now that we have that world, pretty much, we all kind of dream of a world where people can actually just experience something directly without any interference.

This thread is a good one. I think it's good and healthy to reflect and process where we are as a society (like this post above) and gathering for the holidays with people we don't see often and who often have different lifestyles and viewpoints and value systems makes us think. Heck for a lot of us the only thing we have in common with some family members is that we share the same parents or grandparents or there is a marriage-in-law relationship and we wouldn't associate with each other otherwise.

I guess I also should have clarified.  I am not saying get into a debate.  Just a dismissal, like... "Is there any stupid lie you won't believe, and repeat? Good Lord!" with your eyes rolling and a laugh coming.
Anything more than that, and you will go down a rabbit hole of denial that will engulf the next several hours with dumbass "but whatabout" endless false "truths" they "heard about...."
How about: "If you're gonna bring bullshit to the dinner table, I'd prefer a plate of actual bullshit to the crap you're spewing."?

We’ll be having thanksgiving with people who hold 

4 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

This thread is a good one. I think it's good and healthy to reflect and process where we are as a society (like this post above) and gathering for the holidays with people we don't see often and who often have different lifestyles and viewpoints and value systems makes us think. Heck for a lot of us the only thing we have in common with some family members is that we share the same parents or grandparents or there is a marriage-in-law relationship and we wouldn't associate with each other otherwise.

I love this type of thread.  Makes me feel good that tolerance and empathy is alive and well.  This thread is a shining example of that.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I get annoyed by relatives of a certain political mindset, but I would never intentionally avoid a holiday invite because of it.  I mean, I've avoided family/in-laws in years past because of other behavioral shit, but not just political bullshit alone.  Today, I found out from CR that because I inadvertently typed "The Democrat Party" instead of "The Democratic Party" that I am no longer invited to Surly Thanksgiving.  It was a huge blow to me and my family.  6 years of bashing MAGA nation and actively working IRL to tamper their effect on my state...but I made a couple of mental flubs and now I have to sit at the Q-kids table at the holidays around here.  And that's not the table that eats the kids blood as dressing with the turkey.  It's just the one where we non-cool, never-Trumpers have to eat in shame.  I hope there's at least boxed wine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EuroHorn said:

We’ll be having thanksgiving with people who hold 

I love this type of thread.  Makes me feel good that tolerance and empathy is alive and well.  This thread is a shining example of that.  

Actually this is a thread that says that dangerous ideas from stupid people that endanger our Democratic freedom should be addressed, rather than tacitly accepted by not contradicting.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I get annoyed by relatives of a certain political mindset, but I would never intentionally avoid a holiday invite because of it.  I mean, I've avoided family/in-laws in years past because of other behavioral shit, but not just political bullshit alone.  Today, I found out from CR that because I inadvertently typed "The Democrat Party" instead of "The Democratic Party" that I am no longer invited to Surly Thanksgiving.  It was a huge blow to me and my family.  6 years of bashing MAGA nation and actively working IRL to tamper their effect on my state...but I made a couple of mental flubs and now I have to sit at the Q-kids table at the holidays around here.  And that's not the table that eats the kids blood as dressing with the turkey.  It's just the one where we non-cool, never-Trumpers have to eat in shame.  I hope there's at least boxed wine.

To be fair, you were never invited to the Surly Thanksgiving.  Now Surly Festivus, that's a different story.

We really should do a Surly Festivus some year.  Obviously the Airing of the Grievances will take up most of the evening, but I think the Miracles, Feast, and Pole will bring us all great joy.  I can already tell though the "Feats of Strength" are gonna be the same 7 internet tough guys trying to avenge their honor.  We could tie it in with a bowl game watch party downtown/central.  Do bars find it weird when you walk in with an aluminum pole?  

Bullshit aside, festivus, a UT bowl game (no matter how lackluster), both could coincide elegantly with the crescendo of the GOP shitshow that's coming down the pike in terms of leadership and committees before they are sworn in about a week after Festivus.  

Woke up this morning at a VRBO with my wife and in-laws, went into the living room and fox and friends was on. Saw “Biden’s border crisis” on the banner footer and saw red.

I said “I don’t watch this shit” and turned the channel to GMA. My MIL said something nice and my FIL said “hey, I’m not the one that lets tv news get me upset.”

Later, I got bitched out by my wife for being an asshole to her otherwise very nice parents.

Gave her a perfunctionary “sorry” and walked away.

I’ll watch 48 straight hours of hallmark channel movies but I draw the line at Fox News.

We don’t discuss politics much.

I did state my political stance that the only thing exceeding the ineptitude of the Democratic Party is the immorality of the Republican Party.

Next week I’ll be in the oil patch in LA for thanksgiving and every single person is gonna say something derogatory about Biden. My answer is going to be to feign outrage and say “God bless Joe Biden and the sane republicans who voted to ensure American’s economic freedom and national defense with the CHIPS and science act, and oh yeah your next super duty pickup too.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

People don't live in the real world anymore. 90% of what they see comes from a screen of some kind. They believe turkeys are out of stock because they saw a picture somewhere; they didn't experience it in person. They believe Portland burned down because someone told them that over and over while they were looking at a picture of a building on fire. They believe there's a crime wave because they saw video of a crime that happened somewhere, sometime. They believe there's a border crisis because they saw a video of some brown people wading across a river somewhere, sometime. They believe skittles have rainbow fentanyl because a cop said so on camera.
There is no literal public square anymore. Nobody does anything in person, anymore. Even if you go to a game at DKR, you're virtually forced to pay attention to an enormous screen that's somehow even worse than the amount of intrusive ads you'd have dealt with watching a fucking television broadcast.
It's pretty crazy how in the 90s and mid-00s we dreamed of a future where tedious bullshit could be eliminated with technology, where I can walk into an HEB, grab a six pack, and check myself out, where if I needed to wait in a long-ass line at least I could play video games or watch tv or do something to be less bored.
Now that we have that world, pretty much, we all kind of dream of a world where people can actually just experience something directly without any interference.

afe545df33628a0f055cecf4f6e8b348.jpg

Front of the Portland federal courthouse, my sister is a lawyer that works for the US Atty. I took the pic weekend before last. Every time they take the fences down, people start shit, so they just leave them up now.

019321098c7f5d5b4c38c037ba380224.jpg

Little park across the street from the Portland federal courthouse where the mischief makers readied their bottle rockets to shoot at US Marshall’s and other feds. Looks peaceful to me.

Otherwise, aside from the many homeless camps, Portland ain’t so bad. Had a nice time. But there are a LOT of homeless.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/11/2022 at 9:14 PM, Dbeasy said:

I used to love to engage in spirited debate, but for years I have been in the #4 category.  As why bring up politics? If I ever engaged back it was for giggles, not serious discussion, unless they wanted to have a real discussion.

Bt yep, it's the dumb ones that do.  As they don't contemplate that silly keep the peace idea with that  thimble of a brain "thinks."  .Which i exactly what Fox News told them. to think.  And quite honestly, I used to not give a shit!  But now we have a budding brownshirt mentality (sadly I know history) in the GOP. And they lunacy is going to continue. As well the lean into racism.  As... well... that is the base.

But I think this particular holiday season, I think it is appropriate to call out people that do not understand democracy, and simply repeat shit because they saw it on Fox.  

Maybe I should have made the Title of this Thread,  "This Holiday be a Dick to Save Democracy!"

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, horn4life said:

But I think this particular holiday season, I think it is appropriate to call out people that do not understand democracy, and simply repeat shit because they saw it on Fox.  

Too many of these people think that silence from those around them means they agree with them.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Too many of these people think that silence from those around them means they agree with them.

I was talking to a client yesterday who implied that covid was a government conspiracy.  I ignored it and quickly ended the call.  It sucks that I have to act in a professional capacity in that situation.

On 11/12/2022 at 12:48 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Waiting patiently to hear this from the MIL.  It's definitely coming.

What is the average price per lb on turkeys this year? I have seen them at Aldi for about three weeks now at 1.07lb. This does not seem like a lot of money to pay for a good sized bird.

My little town had a turkey give away at the high school. Everyone I know has at least one free turkey sitting in their freezer right now. We’re just swimming in turkeys. Is this what turkey socialism is like?

Edited by Mole
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

45 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

What is the average price per lb on turkeys this year? I have seen them at Aldi for about three weeks now at 1.07lb. This does not seem like a lot of money to pay for a good sized bird.

$1.81 according to the Farm Bureau’s annual survey. It’s a pretty steep increase over last year. I think Aldi is running a special where they’re selling Thanksgiving staples at 2019 prices.

1 hour ago, Mole said:

My little town had a turkey give away at the high school. Everyone I know has at least one free turkey sitting in their freezer right now. We’re just swimming in turkeys. Is this what turkey socialism is like?

We've got a turkey each, we're up to here with fucking turkeys.  We just long for a grapefruit.