This Thanksgiving and Christmas, hold your lie believing misinformation MAGA Relatives accountable!

horn4life

I can't remember any time when my family talked politics at a gathering. Now, I do have one person who went on a rant when I visited his home about how Democrats were Communists, which I found interesting and tried to get him to tell me more, but he wound down.

The closest I get to real fun is when we visit an inlaw's hunting camp in an area somewhat depopulated now that the slaves and sharecroppers were thoughtful enough to move on. Imagine large gatherings of Deep Southern Frat Boys in middle age, drankin whiskey. They are as easy to lead on as a kitten chasing a flashlight, and their sweet spot is admitting that there is good and bad in every race.

Only once did I encounter a rabid talk-radio spewer there, and he just ranted a little to himself. I could have put him on the spot, but he was of a lesser social caste and therefore not to be held accountable.

Edited by RDCanecutter
I swannee these here Yankee spellin rules...
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, formermav43 said:

$1.81 according to the Farm Bureau’s annual survey. It’s a pretty steep increase over last year. I think Aldi is running a special where they’re selling Thanksgiving staples at 2019 prices.

Thank you for letting me know. Good on Aldi for helping folks out with stuff like this. 

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I can't remember any time when my family talked politics at a gathering. Now, I do have one person who went on a rant when I visited his home about how Democrats were Communists, which I found interesting and tried to get him to tell me more, but he wound down.

The closest I get to real fun is when we visit an inlaw's hunting camp in an area somewhat depopulated now that the slaves and sharecroppers were thoughtful enough to move on. Imagine large gatherings of Deep Southern Frat Boys in middle age, drankin whiskey. They are as easy to lead on as a kitten chasing a flashlight, and their sweet spot is admitting that there is good and bad in every race.

Only once did I encounter a rabid talk-radio spewer there, and he just ranted a little to himself. I could have put him on the spot, but he was of a lesser social caste and therefore not to be held accountable.

This is one of those RD Canecutter out of body experience posts.  I feel it helps to read it in the voice of Del from Wayne's World 2.

pglij0oj7ox61.jpg?auto=webp&s=c723001008

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 2

35 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is one of those RD Canecutter out of body experience posts.  I feel it helps to read it in the voice of Del from Wayne's World 2.

I read some of his posts in the voice of Jerry Clower.  Other times it’s Cary Grant in his mid-Atlantic accent.  Occasionally Tony Robinson’s voice when it’s a history-related topic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Just a helpful hint for all of our modern day GOP supporters: when friends and family are completely quiet when you talk, throwing in the occasional "uh huh" or "sure", it's not because they agree with you. It's because they think that you're a lost cause fucking moron, and the less they talk, the sooner you'll shut up.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Based on the trump signs I still see around town, there is no power on earth that will ever convince these morons of the fact that he is a con artist liar of the first order.  Whatever it is that makes them believe his bullshit is impervious to reason.  You can argue with them, piss them off, fight them, or ignore them but you will never change them.  If one of them starts producing trump propaganda to my face I will just leave the party after telling everyone why.

• Rage+1 1

On 11/19/2022 at 9:28 AM, formermav43 said:

That potential turkey shortage was reported everywhere. It’s not a Fox News conspiracy. I think I first saw it on The Today Show or something.

Yeah my wife, who is about as far from MAGA as you can get, bought into it for a while.  Not just because of the news, but because for about a month our HEB did not have any custom-sliced deli turkey, just pre-packaged stuff.  

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah my wife, who is about as far from MAGA as you can get, bought into it for a while.  Not just because of the news, but because for about a month our HEB did not have any custom-sliced deli turkey, just pre-packaged stuff.  

Third world stuff, really.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The shortage was expected (and widely reported) due to an outbreak of avian flu. Flocks were culled.

In early November, the Ag Department Secretary, Tom Vilsack, stated there is no shortage, but finding bigger birds may be more difficult this year (because of the flock culling, there was less time to supersize the birds). 

I found a 22 lbs. bird with little difficulty at Publix here in the Piedmont region. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

The shortage was expected (and widely reported) due to an outbreak of avian flu. Flocks were culled.
 In early November, the Ag Department Secretary, Tom Vilsack, stated there is no shortage, but finding bigger birds may be more difficult this year (because of the flock culling, there was less time to supersize the birds). 
I found a 22 lbs. bird with little difficulty at Publix here in the Piedmont region. 

The giant birds suck. Breast gets too dry after cooking for as long as you need to. Get two 10-12 lb birds instead.
  • Hook 'Em 7

my approach is basically 'don't start none, won't be none'. 

i will never broach a political topic, but the second you start spewing some bullshit you can expect a strong rebuttal.

fuck all the 'respect your parents' or 'well that's just how old people are'...

just bc people are old or family doesn't give them a right to be assholes.

my dad used to get all tanked up and want to rant nonsense but he mostly avoids politics with me nowadays...he has learned over the past decade or so that one, i will no longer just laugh and shake my head to avoid confrontation with him, and two, i have receipts (facts, evidence, etc) and will not hesitate to use them. 

my mother hated that...she told me one time as i reached for my phone (some convo in 2016 about Cruz v. Trump) '...and don't go looking up facts and stuff, i don't care!' 😐😒 okaaaay...

abortion is the only issue that still seems to get dad worked up... he's very, very catholic lol

honestly... as a family we're more likely to get set off on some heated political discussion by my 20 year old vegan, 'marxist', rabid environmentalist, knows-everything-college-student niece. bitch is opinionated af! 😂😁❤️

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The giant birds suck. Breast gets too dry after cooking for as long as you need to. Get two 10-12 lb birds instead.

Agree, but I was provided specific instructions to procure one big bird, not two small ones.

The chef is an engineer and I am not taking any chances that I might send her into a catatonic state by multiplying the number of inputs entering her oven.

I am more of a thigh man anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Agree, but I was provided specific instructions to procure one big bird, not two small ones.

The chef is an engineer and I am not taking any chances that I might send her into a catatonic state by multiplying the number of inputs entering her oven.

Re birds, or engineers?

22 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

All sorts of confusing innuendo here.

Just because there is not a lot of opportunity for this quote to be used, but since you mentioned birds...

“I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.”
 George Best

Since I saw a couple of folks had also been blessed by the helpful information of the Biden Turkey Price Crisis- you can feel free to screenshot this and blow some minds.   Or send it to the Turkey Stressed...  post to facebook, etc.

spacer.png

It's also totally cool to say "I love you!" after trying to insert your does of patriotic reality.  In fact i think it's s good idea.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

just came to post this. I wonder which of these points anyone will try to refute or undermine as bad

They are all too nebulous and lacking in machismo or establishing dominance. I'd go with "Biden is kicking Putin's ass up and down Ukraine," except that somehow Republicans who were all hawks on every possible opportunity for war until like 5 years ago, are now just fine with whatever Russia does.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Always good to remind GQP relatives that Biden and the Dems passed an $85B road improvement bill across 10 states including Texas. All Texas GOP members voted against it. 

I'm sure that's all that was in it.  Straight up road repair.

The odds of no bullshit riders by either party are infinitesimal.   Not defending it either way, but there's no fucking way that's the whole story.

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Always good to remind GQP relatives that Biden and the Dems passed an $85B road improvement bill across 10 states including Texas. All Texas GOP members voted against it. 

The probably went and bragged to their constituents about the money coming into their districts. 

40 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Biden has the single most effective use of foreign military aide the world has ever seen. Neutering Russia in front of the world without firing one shot or losing one American.

just say it unprompted

What do you think of the war crimes Putin is committing in Ukraine and all the innocent civilians he’s murdering? You know, when Putin declared parts of Ukraine to be Russian territory, Trump said that was brilliant. Why do you think Trump has never been able to say one thing critical of Putin? Do you think Putin has something on him?

Maybe keep a link to the Mueller report handy in case anyone hasn’t read it.

http://www.justice.gov/storage/report.pdf

4 hours ago, slorch said:

The odds of no bullshit riders by either party are infinitesimal.   Not defending it either way, but there's no fucking way that's the whole story.

Hah, slorch suggesting that something is too binary and not nuanced enough.

stress i need a drink GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Backing such claims would be nice, but, okay, setting aside (justifiable) cynicism, it is a great thing tax dollars are being invested in infrastructure. I much prefer it to just fucking talking about it, or lying that it’s been done. ((I )BUILT THE WALL)!

Spoiler

Finishing the border wall

Trump made a false claim about one of his signature policies, a wall at the border with Mexico. 

"We built the wall, and now we will add to it. Now, we built the wall -- we completed the wall -- and then we said let's do more, and we did a lot more. And we did a lot more. And as we were doing it, we had an election that came up. And when they came in, they had three more weeks to complete the additions to the wall, which would've been great, and they said no, no, we're not going to do that," he said. 

Facts First: It's not even close to true that Trump "completed" the border wall. 

According to an official "Border Wall Status" report written by US Customs and Border Protection two days after Trump left office, about 458 miles of wall had been completed under Trump -- but about 280 more miles that had been identified for wall construction had not completed. The report, provided to CNN's Priscilla Alvarez, said that, of those 280, about 74 miles of barriers were "in the pre-construction phase and have not yet been awarded, in locations where no barriers currently exist," and that 206 miles were "currently under contract, in place of dilapidated and outdated designs and in locations where no barriers previously existed."

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/11/15/politics/fact-check-trump-announcement-speech-2024/index.html

Hi from the cliffs of Mendocino… 

20A26863-529E-46BD-BA50-95A8170D7E78.jpeg

Hope you’re all staying out of the fray. With family out of the way I’ve had the chance to have 4-5 meaningful conversations with my sons, in the one that relates to this thread I told them I never want them to dread coming home. I told them I would never let politics get in the way and I hope being a capital L liberal would at least provide a chance for honest conversation.  I told them I would do my part not to fall in a hole and I need them to do the same. We made a pact, I think it’s gonna stick. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If somebody wants to push some harmless conspiracy theory about UFOs or pyramids, I’m cool with that.  30 years ago, these people were relegated to the back rooms of book stores and student unions and as a result they knew that most people didn’t hold their theories in high regard.  Maybe their theories get a shout-out on the History Channel, but few saw them as anything but entertainment.  These people knew that most people looked down upon their theories,

These days, people pushing insanely nutty conspiracy theories are being publicly supported by sitting members of the United States Congress, as well as a former President of the US. And Fox News.

Thats a very serious problem.  It’s no longer Uncle Ed meeting with his UFO abduction conspiracy buddies in the back of Book People or at a quiet meeting room in a public library, its  Boebert or MTG or another member of Congress pushing that vaccines are evil, that Ukraine is evil and we should support Russia, and they are doing it in the mainstream media, on Fox News, across their social media platforms, and Fox News is just shooting this stuff right into their veins, and nobody is pushing back on  them.

Earlier this year, at an older relative’s birthday party, one of my in-laws was asked if she had gotten her kids vaccinated against COVID as they were going to be traveling overseas, and she mentioned she did, and my Qanon in-law just started spouting out a bunch of bullshit about how she was harming her kids and how could she do that to their bodies and she was angry about it.  This happened in front of a lot of relatives, and some had never heard her batshittery in person.  

I just looked at her and basically said “you are mentally ill, you know you are, you refuse to get help, you’re in your 40s and you’ve never truly supported yourself financially your entire adult life and you rely on your dad and step-mom to pay your bills and give you an allowance like you’re a child, and you live out of a car or in a tent in your parents backyard, you’ve been through half-a-dozen colleges and have over 120 credits but can’t even finish an associates degree after three years at UT, two years at A&M Galveston, and a couple of years at Blinn and Houston Community College, you buy new clothes after wearing your clothes for months on end rather than washing them because you’re scared of other peoples spike proteins from their vaccines making you sick, yet you sit a few feet away from a dozen people who have all been vaccinated, breathing the same air with them, your dad is a doctor, your step-mom is a nurse and both have been practicing medicine longer than you’ve been alive but you would rather take medical advice from anonymous bloggers and Russian bots than your own parents, you don’t have kids and none of us trust you to babysit our kids and we’ve all told you that we don’t trust you, so please tell us what you have recently done in your life that should make the rest of us decide to listen to you for medical advice”

Was I an asshole to say that in front of a bunch of people?  Absolutely, but she lives in an echo chamber of her own creation, and everybody is far too polite to correct her or they just want to pretend she doesn’t exist, and so she and others like her can easily get the mistaken impression that other peoples’ silence is really their approval.

Had any children heard her then your words probably were reassuring. 

Imagine a youngster questioning their own sexuality and then being subjected to the R trope of gay being evil. Absolutely, in a crowd, I’d be roasting such rubbish.

Still, it will always be impolite to bring politics up, at a family event, unilaterally.

48 minutes ago, troph said:

Hi from the cliffs of Mendocino… 

20A26863-529E-46BD-BA50-95A8170D7E78.jpeg

Hope you’re all staying out of the fray. With family out of the way I’ve had the chance to have 4-5 meaningful conversations with my sons, in the one that relates to this thread I told them I never want them to dread coming home. I told them I would never let politics get in the way and I hope being a capital L liberal would at least provide a chance for honest conversation.  I told them I would do my part not to fall in a hole and I need them to do the same. We made a pact, I think it’s gonna stick. 

Looks amazing. Happy thanksgiving to everyone here.

• Hook 'Em 1