The 2023-2024 Speaker of the House3 will be....?

PhillyD

I didn't start this thread to handicap who will be speaker, though if that's what this thread turns into it, I'm cool with it.  I'm trying to figure out how the Speaker will be determined and the more I look into it, the more I realize I don't understand how it all plays out and I'm hoping some of the House experts in here can give an opinion on how it might play out.  I'm going to assume an R majority of about 5 seats.

I know you have to get 218 votes to be speaker and I keep reading the Freedom Caucus may use their leverage to prevent Kevin McCarthy from being speaker.  But, what's to prevent another caucus from forming and demanding different concessions?  If the difference is really 5 votes, I guess any 5 members can say, "I won't vote for McCarthy and demand Steve Scalise!"  If that happens, couldn't 5 others not vote for Scalise?   I know there are deals that get made, but you can't make 218 individual deals and have everyone happy.

Is there anything to prevent a coalition of moderate Republicans and moderate Democrats from voting for a particular candidate to be speaker?

Finally, what if it's a 1 seat majority?  Do they have to hold new elections for Speaker should 2 in the majority, die, resign, get sick, or what have you?  And then do they have to do it again if a special election overturns another majority?  

I said I wouldn't handicap it, but my prediction is Kevin McCarthy will not be speaker.  If he is, I hope it's more miserable for him than I think it would be trying to shepherd Boebert (if the cunt wins!), MTG, Gaetz, and a few of their other wack jobs.

16 hours ago, PhillyD said:

Is there anything to prevent a coalition of moderate Republicans and moderate Democrats from voting for a particular candidate to be speaker?

I was wondering the same.  I could imagine a situation where the Freedom Caucus blocks McCarthy and then ten Republicans going to Pelosi and saying "we want this moderate Republican to be speaker.  Will your caucus support him?"
I could also see Pelosi telling them to piss off just to watch the Republicans fight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I was wondering the same.  I could imagine a situation where the Freedom Caucus blocks McCarthy and then ten Republicans going to Pelosi and saying "we want this moderate Republican to be speaker.  Will your caucus support him?"
I could also see Pelosi telling them to piss off just to watch the Republicans fight. 

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/13/politics/house-speaker-gop-motion-to-vacate/index.html

Some of the GOP want to reinstate the power to introduce a motion to vacate the Speaker, if McCarthy wants their vote for Speaker. This would give any House member the right to call for his ouster or re-vote whenever they're dissatisfied with McCarthy. 

What's strange is that it seems like any member of Congress could call for a revote on McCarthy whenever they want. Even Democrats.  Given today's partisanship and more than one wacky member, I could understand not wanting any of the 435 members to call for a speaker revote every day.

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/13/politics/house-speaker-gop-motion-to-vacate/index.html

Some of the GOP want to reinstate the power to introduce a motion to vacate the Speaker, if McCarthy wants their vote for Speaker. This would give any House member the right to call for his ouster or re-vote whenever they're dissatisfied with McCarthy. 

What's strange is that it seems like any member of Congress could call for a revote on McCarthy whenever they want. Even Democrats.  Given today's partisanship and more than one wacky member, I could understand not wanting any of the 435 members to call for a speaker revote every day.

Anything to take up time that isn’t spent passing meaningful legislation is ok in their book.  

14 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

Anything to take up time that isn’t spent passing meaningful legislation is ok in their book.  

The one redeeming aspect of the GOP victory will be the impossible task to get their 221 members in line. They want to elect GQP, that's exactly who they have to manage.

I would be shocked if they will be able to agree on investigating Hunter Biden, or at least agree how to do so.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would be shocked if they will be able to agree on investigating Hunter Biden, or at least agree how to do so.

Nah, they'll investigate him.  They'll pull out these giant poster boards during the investigations, with photos from he laptop, and they'll be enlarged so that Hunter's dick is two feet long, and they'll ask America if Joe Biden should be President if this is who his kid is.