Air Show Plane Crash in Dallas

SizzleChest

Same B-17 that performed in an airshow here in my area where I was the Fire Incident Commander for the show. I am pretty sure the show airboss is a friend of mine. I haven’t confirmed that yet. I can’t imagine how he feels right now.

Horrible situation. I am just glad they went down on the field and didn’t get into the crowd.

Turning left and descending in a low wing plane like the P-63 leaves a pretty big blind spot.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Tragedy. I don’t think I’ve been to an air show since I was a kid 40+ years ago. How well do they space these planes apart from each other? I realize their not flying blue angel wingtip to wingtip but are they several minutes spaced apart?  If not, seems like an unnecessary risk.

In Houston a couple of weeks ago it looked like they had the big boys (B-17, C-47, etc.) at one altitude and the fighters and trainers about twice as high as the big boys.  A couple of times the Me-262 and P-51 buzzed down to the same altitude as the B-17, but with a lot of lateral separation.  Today's incident looks to me like the P-63 got out of position and low, was trying to get back to his place in the formation, and misjudged his location relative to the B-17.  But what do I know?  I'm just an interested observer with no flying experience.  The FAA report will tell the tale, no doubt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Constant said:

Well, yeah. Should have just said 6 occupants. 

I knew that’s what you meant but everyone is saying crew…Saw that on the news too. 

I might have boarded that bomber in a tarmac in NW Houston a decade or so back. My daughter and I and some of her cousins got to take a quick tour and I asked my self if I’d like to fly I’m her and decided no, no I wouldn’t. 

Seems like the older I get the more of a chickenshit I become about flying. Walking through it was sort of cool but it was cramped and hot as fuck that day. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I knew that’s what you meant but everyone is saying crew…Saw that on the news too. 

I might have boarded that bomber in a tarmac in NW Houston a decade or so back. My daughter and I and some of her cousins got to take a quick tour and I asked my self if I’d like to fly I’m her and decided no, no I wouldn’t. 

Seems like the older I get the more of a chickenshit I become about flying. Walking through it was sort of cool but it was cramped and hot as fuck that day. 

Not just flying. I ran with the bulls in Pamplona multiple times. Went back with the wife 20 years later and had no interest. I decided the crowds were much larger now and it would be too dangerous because of the people (not the bulls).

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah, well here in Houston on the news they said two WWII fighter planes collided.  News anchors are even bigger morans than internet “journalists”

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

Turning left and descending in a low wing plane like the P-63 leaves a pretty big blind spot

Yeah, the angle I saw, I bet the P-63 pilot never saw the B-17.
Incredibly bad luck or incredibly bad situational awareness.

Maybe they shouldn’t do stupid shit at airshows where they turn and hope someone isn’t there.

Do they have radios? And maybe an air traffic controller orchestrating it?

47 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Maybe they shouldn’t do stupid shit at airshows where they turn and hope someone isn’t there.

Do they have radios? And maybe an air traffic controller orchestrating it?

They are all on the same frequency and there is an airboss.  There were a lot of planes in the air when this occurred. I wonder if the P-63 was trying to join up on the B-17 and loss SA.  

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

They are all on the same frequency and there is an airboss.  There were a lot of planes in the air when this occurred. I wonder if the P-63 was trying to join up on the B-17 and loss SA.  

What is SA for us non-aviation speaking idiots?

Edited by Constant
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

That B17 was based in Galveston until recently. Saw it countless times while I was out fishing, etc. Just horrible. 

No, you are confusing B-17s.  The one you're thinking about was owned by Lone Star Flight Museum, and sold to Mid America Flight Museum in Mt. Pleasant.  It is known as "Thunderbird."

This one was based at Conroe owned by the Commemorative Air Force.  Known as "Texas Raiders."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1