Texas vs. tcu - 6:30pm on ABC

Pancho

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The ball should be out where you can fit it in. In a perfect world when that receiver makes the break they should expect the ball because that break, that only him and his QB know about, is going to be the biggest point of separation between him and the DB. After that the DB is going to close. However, in the real world you throw the ball in the window you have and the receiver should recognize the window as well. Sometimes you need to wait a bit because a receiver needs to clear a linebacker. Sometimes the window is small so you have to put it on them quickly. Either way the receiver has to recognize that too. 

Look, every ball isn't going to be perfect. Sometimes you have to slow down, dive, jump, or fall down to make a catch. Receivers on other teams do this every week. We dropped some drive killing balls out there tonight, there is no two ways about it. We also threw a couple ugly ones. Missed a bunch of blocks. Danced around in the backfield when we should've put our head down, and put our head down when we should've seen the cutback on a stretch run. 

A lot of words to make excuses for Ewers. The ball came out too early, he threw it right at the break instead of throwing it where Whittington was going. It was poorly executed by Ewers and a bad throw. I guess we can blame Whittington for not making some kind of miracle catch on the play idk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

A lot of words to make excuses for Ewers. The ball came out too early, he threw it right at the break instead of throwing it where Whittington was going. It was poorly executed by Ewers and a bad throw. I guess we can blame Whittington for not making some kind of miracle catch on the play idk. 

mhmm

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

I posted this on another thread but.... It's everybody and everything. Just watch the first few series. 

1st and 10- We walk out and gaze over at 9 in the box right away on the first snap. Sark rightly calls a pass with an away breaking route to the receiver we have that can always get sep on the break. Worthy breaks and is open, but instead of just catching the ball he unnecessarily jumps backwards to basket catch it which creates room for the DB to make a play on the ball. Incomplete. 

2nd and 10- We run Bijan off the edge with pin and pull. Bijan just needs to run hard to the sideline and he probably gets 7. Instead he stops and tries to cut it back inside and that allows the DB flying in to wrap him up. 

3rd and 7- Rojo on the jet sweep avoiding the heavy box. Conner gets cut downfield which should be a penalty but whatever. Rojo picks up a quick 5. 

4th and 2- Direct snap to Bijan with Rojo as a lead. There is a moment where if Bijan just hits the hole he picks up the 1st. However, he tries to bounce it and gets tackled short. 

Second Series...................................

1st and 10- Wildcat and we collapse the left side where we had pulling linemen. For whatever reason Rojo decides to keep even though his keys said to hand it off. No gain. 

2nd and 10- We drop back and throw an absolutely catchable ball to Worthy that he gator arms and goes straight through his hands. 

3rd and 10- Ewers gets his clock cleaned. 

Third series.....................................................

1st and 10-Bijan straight ahead to get some room when we were backed up

2nd and 8- backed up on our 3- We pull Sanders as a lead. Bijan starts to follow him and likely would've picked up 2 or 3 hard and needed yards. Instead he tries to bounce back to his right and gets tackled for no gain. 

3rd and 8- We throw to Sanders on a skinny post. Ball is low but catchable and he drops it. 

Momentum and confidence are a weird thing. We have a bad route and drop, a rb playing hero ball, a missed call, then back to the rb playing hero ball. Punt. Then another rb playing hero ball. A receiver drop because he is scared of contact. Then your right guard got mauled and got your QB killed on the second series. 3rd series you have a workman like run, then hero ball by the rb, and then a dropped ball on 3rd down. At this point QE hasn't been perfect but we can win with this version of him. However, you can see his confidence leaving him. With each bad play and drop he is holding his helmet. The play calls up to this point aren't bad just everyone is fucking up. No one can seem to make a play when a play needs to be made. No matter the call. It's very hard to watch. Young guys struggling and older guys who can't pick them up. Loser mentality handed down from generation to generation of Texas football players. 

I agree with all of this and appreciate you taking the time to break it all down. I still would have pulled Ewers at halftime. Something needed to change and Ewers needs to grow through this wall he has hit. Some time on the bench might help and couldn’t have been any worse. 

Edited by Duane Moore
  • Hook 'Em 4

This game went like no one would have thought. Our strength, our offense was no where to be found whereas our defense, which was our weakness held their powerful offense to just 17 points. 1 big play by Duggan with a pretty spectacular catch by their WR was the difference. That and the ever faithful zebras extending drives by their clutch officiating during critical moments.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Why were we constantly trying to block the punts? It's such a high risk, low reward play that I just don't get it why they kept doing it, especially after the first running into the kicker penalty where they got bailed out by another penalty. 

because we've scored 6 points in 6 quarters.

56 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Why were we constantly trying to block the punts? It's such a high risk, low reward play that I just don't get it why they kept doing it, especially after the first running into the kicker penalty where they got bailed out by another penalty. 

One possibility is that Patterson's defenses have always been vulnerable to the fake punt.  Perhaps he felt that TCU knew that and was wanting to stuff the punter before he either took off on a run or threw a pass.  

4 minutes ago, TCU Alum said:

One possibility is that Patterson's defenses have always been vulnerable to the fake punt.  Perhaps he felt that TCU knew that and was wanting to stuff the punter before he either took off on a run or threw a pass.  

When you run full speed at the punter, bad things can happen more often than not. I would understand if they were trying to put pressure on him, but that's not what they were doing. It was just another part of the overall idiotic game planning imo.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

When you run full speed at the punter, bad things can happen more often than not. I would understand if they were trying to put pressure on him, but that's not what they were doing. It was just another part of the overall idiotic game planning imo.

Agree.  Even if it was the right idea, it was so poorly executed that the first two close calls should have been enough warning to stop calling dumb plays that we're incapable of executing properly.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

There were several times Bijan got tackled one on one and didn’t make anyone miss.

He needs to get up some speed to break tackles.  He's not a power runner like RoJo.  When he gets hit behind the line of scrimmage, he usually goes down.  Once he gets past, he's more difficult to bring down.

5 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

There was no question the punter's plant leg was contacted, and that's an automatic 15 yard penalty every time. I'm baffled by yours and others insistence it shouldn't have been a penalty. It was an obvious roughing.

If you are talking about the 2nd one, nobody touched the punter.  They completely missed him and he had room to land.  He just faked a flop.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, D3zii said:

I’ll say this, it’s blame to go to everyone here. Sark, Ewers, Worthy, Bijan etc. 

Sark made some questionable decisions, but those deep balls were thrown by Ewers. Sark explains in his PC those are reads. I think on the play Ewers threw a pick you had Whittington or Sanders streaking across the middle wide open cause the corner was late sinking, but Quinn throws it to Worthy in double coverage! WTF!?!  But then when you have Bijan wide open in the endzone on the wheel route you throw it to Sanders going across the middle. Or on 4th down in the 4th qrt when he stares down Sanders and you have Whittington breaking free on a deep out. 
At the end of the day Ewers played like the freshman he is! He looked lost and disoriented!! I would say he’s not use to adversity and it has shown these last few games since OU

Worthy has officially hit that Soph wall! He has been alligator arms this season! He doesn’t play with that same fire he had last season, but shit after hearing praises all off-season I can see it. Whittington should definitely have been the featured WR not just last night but the last few games and maybe all season! If Worthy wants to be a fucking decoy let him run 9 routes all game!! We’re the only team that gets dunked and dunked all game but won’t do the same to them.  Hell even Sanders who had a bad night between drops and blocking at least looked like he wanted it!  Worthy doesn’t even look like he cares at times 

Bijan looked different no doubt about it! Y’all can say the O-Line but last week and even before you can tell it was different!! Bijan tip-toed at the LOS, unlike last week he seen the hole and hit it!!!! That looked like Bijan from the 1st two games, instead of being the hammer he looked like the nail!! We can blame Quinn but Bijan was supposed to be the go-to guy, not Ewers. At the end of the day Ewers is a freshman, Bijan is the upperclassman 

The offense looked awful at the end of the day and ultimately falls on Sark!! But the players have to make the plays!! I honestly believe Sark is playing for next year with not playing Card!! Not that he’s giving up but he’s trying to give Ewers as much experience as possible. Yes it sucks now just like it did with Vince (who had way more talent around him) Colt, and Elingher their first year but we all see how it helped them the next season. 

If you play for next year, you may establish a losing attitude.  That is potentially disastrous long term.  Especially on a program that is already used to losing with Charley Strong.

14 minutes ago, bullet said:

If you play for next year, you may establish a losing attitude.  That is potentially disastrous long term.  Especially on a program that is already used to losing with Charley Strong.

A lot more of coaches do this more than you think, even Saban his first season did this and that next year went 12-0 with 18 returning starers . . 

im not saying Sark is giving up but he knows imo Quinn has a higher ceiling and nothing can beat game experience. With Bijan leaving after the season you don’t want to have no identity or answer for next season . Yes you hate it cause with Card maybe we’re better but maybe not. Just have to hope Sark knows what he’s doing !! 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, D3zii said:

A lot more of coaches do this more than you think, even Saban his first season did this and that next year went 12-0 with 18 returning starers . . 

im not saying Sark is giving up but he knows imo Quinn has a higher ceiling and nothing can beat game experience. With Bijan leaving after the season you don’t want to have no identity or answer for next season . Yes you hate it cause with Card maybe we’re better but maybe not. Just have to hope Sark knows what he’s doing !! 

I think we're better with Ewers when he's on.  But continuing to play him on his bad days is just a mistake.  For the team and probably for him.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, D3zii said:

There's a difference between giving them confidence and giving them experience in bad situations.  In HS when I was a senior, the coach put our 2nd and 3rd best runners, both Sophomores, in the JV division at the district meet in cross-county to help their confidence.  He ran the worst sophomore with 4 seniors on varsity.  Not surprisingly, we all ran the worst race we had run since early in the season.  Not that we had a chance--the top 3 teams in our district were the top 3 teams in the DFW region (and 4th may have been the 4th best, but only 3 made region) and one won state.  Now the 2 sophomores finished 1st and 3rd in JV and the team was 4th in region the next year and 2 years later the team won everything until the state meet.  That worked for them.

But what Sark is doing is what the coach did to that sophomore he put on varsity (who quit and became a trainer for the team).  I didn't realize he even finished, he was so far behind everyone else.  Its just a bad situation where it hurts their confidence.

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yes, sorry about that. J-Whitt is a dawg who does it all and of course Sark underuses him because that's what he does, and Ewers just says "you know, I think I'll just over throw Worthy because he only has 2-3 guys covering him"

Does he under use him?  Maybe look at the game tape and see how many times J Whitt is open on plays?  There were quite a few plays where none of our guys had any separation.  Tom Brady would have trouble throwing to guys that are totally covered with a pocket collapsing around him. Not saying Ewers or Sark are doing a great job either but I am pretty sure Sark’s offense isn’t Ewers hike the ball your first read every time is to chuck it 40 yards downfield to Worthy.  Even at Alabama he just have his offense throw it deep all day long.  The o-line can’t run block or pass block so that leads to shitty offense.  Until that gets fixed it doesn’t matter who is calling plays.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

Card should have started the second half. Any offense at all would have probably won this game. Quinn and the whole team would have benefited from the experience of playing in a B12 title game. Everybody could see Quinn was having another OK State type meltdown that he wasn't going to snap out of.

6 hours ago, D3zii said:

I’ll say this, it’s blame to go to everyone here. Sark, Ewers, Worthy, Bijan etc. 

Sark made some questionable decisions, but those deep balls were thrown by Ewers. Sark explains in his PC those are reads. I think on the play Ewers threw a pick you had Whittington or Sanders streaking across the middle wide open cause the corner was late sinking, but Quinn throws it to Worthy in double coverage! WTF!?!  But then when you have Bijan wide open in the endzone on the wheel route you throw it to Sanders going across the middle. Or on 4th down in the 4th qrt when he stares down Sanders and you have Whittington breaking free on a deep out. 
At the end of the day Ewers played like the freshman he is! He looked lost and disoriented!! I would say he’s not use to adversity and it has shown these last few games since OU

Worthy has officially hit that Soph wall! He has been alligator arms this season! He doesn’t play with that same fire he had last season, but shit after hearing praises all off-season I can see it. Whittington should definitely have been the featured WR not just last night but the last few games and maybe all season! If Worthy wants to be a fucking decoy let him run 9 routes all game!! We’re the only team that gets dunked and dunked all game but won’t do the same to them.  Hell even Sanders who had a bad night between drops and blocking at least looked like he wanted it!  Worthy doesn’t even look like he cares at times 

Bijan looked different no doubt about it! Y’all can say the O-Line but last week and even before you can tell it was different!! Bijan tip-toed at the LOS, unlike last week he seen the hole and hit it!!!! That looked like Bijan from the 1st two games, instead of being the hammer he looked like the nail!! We can blame Quinn but Bijan was supposed to be the go-to guy, not Ewers. At the end of the day Ewers is a freshman, Bijan is the upperclassman 

The offense looked awful at the end of the day and ultimately falls on Sark!! But the players have to make the plays!! I honestly believe Sark is playing for next year with not playing Card!! Not that he’s giving up but he’s trying to give Ewers as much experience as possible. Yes it sucks now just like it did with Vince (who had way more talent around him) Colt, and Elingher their first year but we all see how it helped them the next season. 

It's sark's job to teach him or play card if he isn't getting the job done. Truth is that this drunken clown has zero ability to make adjustments. He is a glorified qb coach who has no business running this program.

Bash me all you want but it's going to be a long few years before your admin finally boots this fraud.

• Fuck You 3

Does he under use him?  Maybe look at the game tape and see how many times J Whitt is open on plays?  There were quite a few plays where none of our guys had any separation.  

TCU did cover pretty well. Yes, Whitt is vastly underused. What got the offense going a little last night? Swinging it out to Whitt. It is easy. We haven’t dropped those. And he’s open quite a bit in other games.

There’s only one guy who gets more looks than he should.

7 hours ago, D3zii said:

If Sark is playing for next year by not playing Card then he’s a colossal moron. He doesn’t have credit built up to prep for next year. We want wins this year. I doubt that’s the case but he can get fucked if so.

5 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

If Sark is playing for next year by not playing Card then he’s a colossal moron. He doesn’t have credit built up to prep for next year. We want wins this year. I doubt that’s the case but he can get fucked if so.

He did this last year as well. I just honestly don't have anything positive to say about Sark at this point. I knew something was off after the Arkansas loss, and now I know what it is. It's that this guy is a fucking loser. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

He did this last year as well. I just honestly don't have anything positive to say about Sark at this point. I knew something was off after the Arkansas loss, and now I know what it is. It's that this guy is a fucking loser. 

Last night cemented it for me. He’s not the guy. I’ll keep watching like I did with Strong and Herman but he’s not the guy. His only hope is Arch comes in and plays hero ball for 2-3 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Does he under use him?  Maybe look at the game tape and see how many times J Whitt is open on plays?  There were quite a few plays where none of our guys had any separation.  Tom Brady would have trouble throwing to guys that are totally covered with a pocket collapsing around him. Not saying Ewers or Sark are doing a great job either but I am pretty sure Sark’s offense isn’t Ewers hike the ball your first read every time is to chuck it 40 yards downfield to Worthy.  Even at Alabama he just have his offense throw it deep all day long.  The o-line can’t run block or pass block so that leads to shitty offense.  Until that gets fixed it doesn’t matter who is calling plays.  

I do agree with you and I'm still going on emotions, but it doesn't take away the fact Quinn just goes to his first read only and doesn't see the field. I saw at least 3 times where he could have thrown to Whitt and Bijan and instead overthrew/under Worthy for absolutely no reason at all. I never thought I would say this, ever, but we need Card if we're going to win this year. Quinn is not ready, regardless of arm talent. Mentally he just doesn't get it. A kid from NC just won their division who's the same age, and we have a kid who had a perfect rating just lost out there. The line has also regressed, which is beyond me. How is that possible? Sark is leading this team into loser territory. He makes no adjustments, he isn't helping our golden boy, he's allowing a team to stack the box and STILL running Bijan into that shit. Who does that? A moron, that's who. He may be a nice guy and clappity clap clap, rah rah rah, but his words when he said he didn't even think about putting Card out there is damning. 

Sorry for my tangent, amigo. I'm just baffled at how stupid Sark truly is. We're talking Strong levels of dumb shit. How can a man labeled as a qb guru and a master of planning not make any kind of adjustment ls in the second half of every single game? Quinn, I guess has regressed (I don't know if he regressed or if this is who he is this season and just murdered shit teams), our o-line has regressed, and he just squats down reading playgirl on the sidelines. 

2 hours ago, bullet said:

There's a difference between giving them confidence and giving them experience in bad situations.  In HS when I was a senior, the coach put our 2nd and 3rd best runners, both Sophomores, in the JV division at the district meet in cross-county to help their confidence.  He ran the worst sophomore with 4 seniors on varsity.  Not surprisingly, we all ran the worst race we had run since early in the season.  Not that we had a chance--the top 3 teams in our district were the top 3 teams in the DFW region (and 4th may have been the 4th best, but only 3 made region) and one won state.  Now the 2 sophomores finished 1st and 3rd in JV and the team was 4th in region the next year and 2 years later the team won everything until the state meet.  That worked for them.

But what Sark is doing is what the coach did to that sophomore he put on varsity (who quit and became a trainer for the team).  I didn't realize he even finished, he was so far behind everyone else.  Its just a bad situation where it hurts their confidence.

I remember in college my freshman year we won two games, that next year we fired the coach and hired the DC from Michigan, he started mostly freshman and sophomores including a freshman QB from Houston. We only won 5 games. Everyone ridiculed and wanted to burn him, even the coaches didn’t agree with the decision to start mostly young players. Our QB was so bad, he always looked like a deer in headlights. I remember we played Miss St and lost 56-7. We just looked so bad
That next year we went 10-3 won the conference, the next two years we went 20-6 winning the conference 2x and making a bowl games both years going 1-1 . The game experience we gained and learning was so valuable for us. Idk if that is what Sark is doing (I don’t believe you can do something like that at a school like Texas) but it could be beneficial in the long run

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I remember in college my freshman year we won two games, that next year we fired the coach and hired the DC from Michigan, he started mostly freshman and sophomores including a freshman QB from Houston. We only won 5 games. Everyone ridiculed and wanted to burn him, even the coaches didn’t agree with the decision to start mostly young players. Our QB was so bad, he always looked like a deer in headlights. I remember we played Miss St and lost 56-7. We just looked so bad
That next year we went 10-3 won the conference, the next two years we went 20-6 winning the conference 2x and making a bowl games both years going 1-1 . The game experience we gained and learning was so valuable for us. Idk if that is what Sark is doing (I don’t believe you can do something like that at a school like Texas) but it could be beneficial in the long run

You are assuming sark knows what he is doing. He doesn't.

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, austintiger said:

You are assuming sark knows what he is doing. He doesn't.

I think I speak for everyone when I say I pray and hope he does!! I’m tired of the dumb cycle of hiring and firing. We need some consistency. . We act like Sark is 5-7 again. We’re 6-4 and on track for what most of us predicted at the beginning of the year 8-4. . 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I think I speak for everyone when I say I pray and hope he does!! I’m tired of the dumb cycle of hiring and firing. We need some consistency. . We act like Sark is 5-7 again. We’re 6-4 and on track for what most of us predicted at the beginning of the year 8-4. . 

I’m not sure I can agree we are on track for 8-4 (even though Kansas and Baylor are both very beatable), but I’ll rep for the hopium, and agree that I’d like to see Sark succeed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Where are you getting 8-4 from? In order to achieve that we need to score a TD at some point. Something we have failed to do for the last 6 quarters.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

There was no question the punter's plant leg was contacted, and that's an automatic 15 yard penalty every time. I'm baffled by yours and others insistence it shouldn't have been a penalty. It was an obvious roughing.

You seem to have really terrible memory, or the trauma of seeing the punter blow himself up made you think something huge happened there that didn't.  This is his plant leg and it never gets touched.  He initiated the contact, and at the most, it should have been running into the kicker, because the Texas player going under didn't allow the punter to land, even though he never intended to land:

image.thumb.png.17658ecf4252ce4dc9dc3f9be6a0cd66.png

Punter in goofy-ass flopping motion before the Texas player is even there.  Notice the dork kick out his own plant leg when the Texas player was 5 feet away:

image.thumb.png.5c371e01fb8d1c1f34ed17d90ac95748.png

Punter's non-plant leg foot coming down and clipping the Texas player's helmet:

image.thumb.png.7e08a33470e7249c2bd572df6978aa34.png

Pussy playing dead:

image.thumb.png.534b7d90fb4158b56d24a7b6f8601f01.png

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

Xs and Os are intriguing.  This was UT's first play from scrimmage, excellent field position at TCU 43.  

TCU has 4 guys at the 2nd level, 2 bite on the fake to Bijan then 4 guys drift with Sanders in motion, even the high safety. 838768035_play1.thumb.jpg.b07ac871aa10b789749ab4c9d47085ae.jpg

1018884886_2022Texasvs_TCU.thumb.png.60c7999ce1e1e950e88d625ea0d79167.png

1 db is with Worthy around the 30 yard line at this point.  Bijan stays back to pass block but maybe could have slipped out.  A running QB could have taken off south. 

Ewer's pass is a click late as Worthy is wide open out of the break.  Pass is late with a pass break up by the fast closing DB.   Not Sark's fault, 100% Ewers. 

1056657629_2022Texasvs_TCU.thumb.jpg.67571248293089c312dd4fc3ebcc6558.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

still the first series of the game, 4th and 2.  The direct snap to Bijan fakes no one.  They have 9 in the box, the LB crashes into Rojo and defeats the block to tackle Bijan. 

But why didn't Bijan take it outside?? Wide open there but chose to smash the middle with 5 TCU vs. 3 Texas blockers. 

1029239564_2022Texasvs_TCU.thumb.jpg.a0aa5711e7d4b55e956bd336e21bdc87.jpg

1116420999_2022Texasvs.TCU(03).thumb.jpg.0c2fd0c31f9a9458f5d5a25bfc314a4a.jpg

752078743_2022Texasvs.TCU(02).thumb.jpg.3ef4cb27c23536fbdd174ae4e35678d7.jpg