How has Hudson Card not been given a chance?

ztejas

Just now, Slacks said:

Lol....  It's going to be ok, bro.  Let that shit burn.

It's going to be okay because you're a dumbass? I'm fine. I'm going to have a great day tomorrow. I'm concerned about the posters that can't understand why this team sucks. 

3 minutes ago, Slacks said:

This. 

I was starting to wonder what this thread was really about...

Card has started games in two seasons and has only looked good in one game... The first one. 

I'm ok with letting Ewers have 2 bad games as a RS-FR.

He started 3 games this year, and in the last one completed 75% of his passes for 300+ yards and 3 TDs with no interceptions. In none of them this season did he look as bad as Ewers vs OSU or tonight.

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

This reads like an Onion headline

Oh how I wish it were…

The replies are priceless. Also, the question wasn’t why didn’t you put Card in the game with only a few minutes to go. It was why didn’t you go to him at all. Sark thinks he fucking knows everything. He never thought to put in Card in the Okie Lite game or this game. He obviously is not paying attention to just how bad Ewers was in either game. Never considered it. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Sark just said in the presser he didn’t put in Card because it wouldn’t have been fair to him to put him in and make him try to save the day. He was asked if he thought about putting in Card in the game and why he didn’t do so.

This is fucking beyond stupid. Seriously, if I were Card, I would be insulted as shit. What a chicken shit pussy excuse.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

When Sark wouldn't put in Card when Ewers had the worst performance of any UT QB on record, he was never going to be able to put him in going forward. You've Jimbo'ed our QB position as you've made Ewers untouchable. 

This would be where having a true OC might be helpful. Sark isn’t paying attention to what’s happening on the field. If he wants to call all the damn plays sit in the fucking booth then! 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

When Sark wouldn't put in Card when Ewers had the worst performance of any UT QB on record, he was never going to be able to put him in going forward. You've Jimbo'ed our QB position as you've made Ewers untouchable. 

This is not necessarily true.  It's possible, but not certain.

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well we all know Sark is only starting Ewers because the boosters force him to

Just now, mdmost said:

Maybe he will do it against Kansas or Baylor, because of course now, it doesn't matter. We've nothing left to play for. 

Developing Ewers for next year?

I’m stupidly entering into an emotional thread but: I think NOT putting Card in was the right call. 

Frogs were teeing off. Card has shown little ability to handle that kind of pressure. Sending him in cold without a solid running game would be a disaster.

Meaning worse than what we saw.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mach 1 said:

I’m stupidly entering into an emotional thread but: I think NOT putting Card in was the right call. 

Frogs were teeing off. Card has shown little ability to handle that kind of pressure. Sending him in cold without a solid running game would be a disaster.

Worse than scoring 3 points is a tall order.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mach 1 said:

Right. It wasn't Ewers, it was Sark forcing Ewers. Sark should've benched Ewers at oSu and tried to win it with Card. Now we're in a position where there's no good reason to not just roll with Ewers and watch him win or fail. We're already bowl eligible. What's left to worry about? A better bowl? Who fucking cares?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Right. It wasn't Ewers, it was Sark forcing Ewers. Sark should've benched Ewers at oSu and tried to win it with Card. Now we're in a position where there's no good reason to not just roll with Ewers and watch him win or fail. We're already bowl eligible. What's left to worry about? A better bowl? Who fucking cares?

Hey, the Big 12 title game is still a real possibility. Everybody but TCU has a least 3 conference losses. There’s still time for you to get your hopes dashed again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Yeah, Ewers was making TCU pay, right and left. Just like he was making Okie State pay after throwing 30 incompletions. 

No wonder we suck. 

39 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Sark just said in the presser he didn’t put in Card because it wouldn’t have been fair to him to put him in and make him try to save the day. He was asked if he thought about putting in Card in the game and why he didn’t do so.

This faux-hawked motherfucker right here, god dammit...

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Bullshit. There was rarely enough pressure to cause hurried throws.

Ewers only looked at his first reads.

Wheel route to Bijan was wide open on the first close drive. Last 4th and goal, no one was within 10 yards of Worthy in the right corner of the end zone, yet Ewers tried to force it into the middle to Sanders.

Card had at least shown the ability to look for his second or third options before Ewers came back.

14 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Card had at least shown the ability to look for his second or third options before Ewers came back.

Not sure about that. Mostly he'd just run it. I would've settled for running Card tonight. At least it would've moved the chains.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

So does that mean that Sark is dumber than the dumbest poster on Surly?

• Haha 1

At this point there’s no title to play for, you let Ewers finish the year and see if he can work through a bad stretch as a freshman. I’ve been extremely disappointed with his play since the Ou game, but even Vince laid an egg as a RS Fr and was shutout by OU. 

You need to see if he can bounce back. There was bad play calling and at least 4-5 drops tonight in addition to his mistakes. A lot of the first half was 2 or 3 receivers in the route and that’s why he kept chucking it deep I think. But I have been really surprised by how far off he has been on the deep balls. 

My impression watching him is that he has a lot of arm talent so he slacks on fundamentals like footwork and his release point, but he ain’t Aaron Rodgers or Matthew Stafford. There’s a lot of sidearm throwing and when he decides to throw it he slings it sidearmed in a hurry even if it’s not necessary. He needs to re-dedicate himself to fundamentals of passing. 

The QB guru Sark, needs to guru. 

7 minutes ago, WBT said:

You people have the memories of goldfishes.  Card had his chances.  He ain't the answer.

Nobody said he was the answer.

Just should have been given a chance in this particular game, given Ewers shitting the bed in this game, and the previous game.

Card did better than many expected when he was the starter. And when he basically played Alabama to a draw for 3 quarters on a bad ankle.

I believe Card may have been able to do better than the shitshow that Ewers proved to be in this game.

You don’t think so? Fine. We got pantsed by a team we should have beaten.

What would you have done to change that?

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

At this point there’s no title to play for, you let Ewers finish the year and see if he can work through a bad stretch as a freshman. I’ve been extremely disappointed with his play since the Ou game, but even Vince laid an egg as a RS Fr and was shutout by OU. 

That was when he was a sophomore. Greg Davis had an offense with ced benson and Vince and got shutout.

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, WBT said:

You people have the memories of goldfishes.  Card had his chances.  He ain't the answer.

Terrific logic. When already down in a game with demonstrably inept performance from the QB, lets eat the sure loss instead of gambling on a possible win. 

Loser mentality. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

You need to see if he can bounce back. There was bad play calling and at least 4-5 drops tonight in addition to his mistakes. A lot of the first half was 2 or 3 receivers in the route and that’s why he kept chucking it deep I think. But I have been really surprised by how far off he has been on the deep balls. 

My impression watching him is that he has a lot of arm talent so he slacks on fundamentals like footwork and his release point, but he ain’t Aaron Rodgers or Matthew Stafford. There’s a lot of sidearm throwing and when he decides to throw it he slings it sidearmed in a hurry even if it’s not necessary. He needs to re-dedicate himself to fundamentals of passing. 

The QB guru Sark, needs to guru. 

He should have been pulled in games before and tonight obviously also.  I’m no Card guy at all but he would have scored 17 points atleast tonight scrambling and hitting underneath throws instead of going deep.  It is important to win the rest of the games left also so if it happens again he needs pulled. 

2A045A75-4751-4C6F-B710-90C20D951A61.jpeg

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 2

Card sucks. He has lost the job twice. Ewers is a freshman, that hadn't played in over a year, got hurt in game 2. He was near perfect against OU, and hasn't been able to replicate that performance again. You have to give Ewers time to learn on the job, just like you are giving the young OL time to learn on the job. Hayden Conner was fucking awful tonight. We need more playmakers that can you know make plays. Worthy is an elite #2, he's not a #1. We have no #3 at WR, and our TEs dropped more balls than they caught. Everything that could break tonight broke, from the early drops, Worthy making no effort to catch the ball unless is hits him right in stride and in the hands, Bijan trying to juke everybody when he needed 1 yard.

Also, please stop rushing the punter when it's 4th and under 6 yards in a close and late games. It cost a shot at a title in 2001, and was the turning point in this game.

Hope this link works. The YouTube of the full OU game. Ewers game versus OU was overrated. They were beaten from play 1.

Go to the play starting at about 59:30. Then pause it about 59:39-59:40. Tell me who you see.

This important for several reasons. Threw to Worthy with two guys on him. It was probably the only read he made. It struck me then as did ignoring Bijan tonight. That’s the guy who will be open. Yet never looks his way. This play touches on many of his issues. They were present then but ignored. This was play 1 of him killing the drive all by himself.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

The Sanders drop early was big. Online was shit. Nobody on offense showed up. 

Sanders dropped it but the throw was low despite him being wide open. Should've been the easiest pitch-and-catch of the night for Ewers and he made a poor throw that Sanders dropped.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1