It's not the head coach that is the problem

Hozz

3 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Well.  I honestly do not know.  I will throw this out there though, why is Texas good at almost all sports, to the point where we have won two director's cups in a row, except football and men's hoops.  Is that just bad luck or bad hires?  In the two sports that literally matter the most in terms of $ and interest?  I don't think so.

Yes. That's literally all it is.

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Texas is a team that is much less than the sum of its parts.  It’s ultimately the head coach’s responsibility to figure out why, develop a strategy to rectify it and then execute his plan so that the team is more than an underachieving collection of highly recruited athletes.

Even with the progress we’ve made this year, we are still an underachieving collection of highly recruited athletes.  At this point, I’m not seeing a lot of reason to believe Sark is the man who will figure out why that seems to be the ceiling of our potential across multiple head coaches.

I don't disagree with any of this.  But do you think any of the many Big 12 coaches over the past 12 years who have taken other programs not named Texas and OU to new heights would succeed here?  I don't.  But if you do, then why have we simply not hired them if this a coaching problem?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

So what does that mean   Our fans make it so our coaches suck?  Our administration?

Exactly. People always say this as if boogie-men or curses are real. No, it's really fuckin simple. The challenges at Texas is for the most part you get the pick of the litter for recruits to build your program. The problem therein lies, you have to jilt a lot of kids that wanted to play for your school. When they end up at schools you're aligned with they circle the game and want to show you that stars aren't all that matter and when you line up on the gridiron you better bring it. 

We have players on the exact opposite side of the spectrum. Signing deals with Lamborghini and mustard. Making hundreds of thousands to be mediocre. The problem with the ultra talented a lot is times is they are soft. They dominated in high school on raw skills. When they get to this level and realize they can't do the same, this is where the softness kicks in. From what we've seen, very few put their head down and work. Most just transfer out of just never live up to the hype.

• Hook 'Em 3

1st and goal from the 5 and you don't even bother to get your generational runner a touch. It's the head coach. You force the ball over and over and over to a freshman QB who doesn't have it. It's the head coach. Your defense gives you their best performance of the season against a decent opponent and your offense does nothing. It's the head coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

4 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

It’s 100% the head coaches fault. Who tf hires Sark with the resume he had. 

lol but Sark is coach #4 in our circus of sadness.  What is wrong with Texas?  We just fired a coach that got fat and happy and then missed on 3 hires?  It's possible but I don't think that is the issue.  Again, considering how shit Big 12 programs recruit 3 *s and have rando coaches that embarrass us.

6 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

It’s 100% the head coaches fault. Who tf hires Sark with the resume he had. 

That would be Kevin...

Asked to rate Sarkisian’s job so far the week of the TCU game, Eltife said, "I would give Sark an A-plus. I think Steve’s doing an outstanding job. He’s doing everything I had hoped would happen when he became our coach. He’s rebuilding our team. He’s a class act. He’s a man of integrity. I love that he doesn’t make excuses, win or lose. He’s doing what was desperately needed to rebuild our team.”

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/columns/2022/11/11/had-fate-turned-out-different-sonny-dykes-would-be-at-texas-not-tcu/69637257007/

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, Hozz said:

lol but Sark is coach #4 in our circus of sadness.  What is wrong with Texas?  We just fired a coach that got fat and happy and then missed on 3 hires?  It's possible but I don't think that is the issue.  Again, considering how shit Big 12 programs recruit 3 *s and have rando coaches that embarrass us.

We probably didn't miss all that terribly on Herman, but we gave up on him. He was easily the best of the three since Mack.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude you don't even have 1,000 posts here. Why don't you go put a mirror up in your closet and spare us your idiocy. 

Oh man you are right.  Internet points matter.  Sorry bro.  In my defense I was actually on a Texas roster in the 90s while you were likely narrowly avoiding getting run over in the street by passing cars.

1 minute ago, Auto Driller said:

The head coach is the problem. The fact that we hired a bunch of bad head coaches consecutively is our problem.

Charlie - Dumbass

Herman - Asshole

Sark - Can’t handle the pressure

Maybe we’ll get it right next time…

All we can do now is try again. But because of his salary, we're going to have to wait out another year or so of this. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

We probably didn't miss all that terribly on Herman, but we gave up on him. He was easily the best of the three since Mack.

The problem with Herman was that his meathead QB run offense meant we were never going to recruit QBs that win at a high level. We got bailed out by Sam being a lifelong longhorn fan but it was pretty clear shit was headed downhill in his last season.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wrong.

I think his alcoholic recovery may have made him over-emphatic instead of pulling Ewers for poor performance. It will eventually cost him his job.
(Hopefully sooner than later)

He’s not putting his players in the best position to win. Needing more talent is a loser excuse.

He likes the Hollywood star aspect to our program but if he can’t win, he’ll be back with Saban. Win-win.

1 minute ago, Auto Driller said:

The problem with Herman was that his meathead QB run offense meant we were never going to recruit QBs that win at a high level. We got bailed out by Sam being a lifelong longhorn fan but it was pretty clear shit was headed downhill in his last season.

7-6, 10-4, 8-5, 7-3 and 4-0 in bowl games sounds pretty good right about now.

That might change if Steve Sarkisian manages to win two and his bowl game.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Oh man you are right.  Internet points matter.  Sorry bro.  In my defense I was actually on a Texas roster in the 90s while you were likely narrowly avoiding getting run over in the street by passing cars.

I mean you just started one of the dumbest fucking threads I've seen this football season and your initial go-to was telling me that I went to SMU and your second go-to was telling me that you were on a Texas athletics roster of some sort once upon a time as if either of those things are relevant to you being a stupid fuckhead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Meh, he won a few more coin flip games than Sark has so far (with a much better QB); maybe he’s a little better but the difference seems mostly negligible.

(note: that’s not a defense of Sark, just saying that Herman sucked too.)

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean you just started one of the dumbest fucking threads I've seen this football season and your initial go-to was telling me that I went to SMU and your second go-to was telling me that you were on a Texas athletics roster of some sort once upon a time as if either of those things are relevant to you being a stupid fuckhead. 

lol you had a melt down thread renamed because you were a bitch.  And you are ragging on me for my thread?  Again, SMU cunt, I actually went to Texas, was on the football team and graduated from Texas.  So go fuck yourself with your internet points.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

7-6, 10-4, 8-5, 7-3 and 4-0 in bowl games sounds pretty good right about now.

That might change if Steve Sarkisian manages to win two and his bowl game.

That sounds good? That sounds positively mediocre. Recruiting fell off a cliff. It's impossible to exaggerate how bad recruiting was going to be if Herman had stayed at the job. You think our OL looks pedestrian this year? Thank goodness there are radical changes being made, at least. Herman made the previous coaches look like they were trotting out the 90s Cowboys OL. 

I'm amazed at how many people pine for the previous shitty coach when things get shitty. It happens every time. We've been beaten so badly with a mule stick the guy who abused us a little less looks like a golden glow Mufasa to us. 

I look forward to when we give this head coaching roulette wheel another spin. Because this doesn't look like the answer to me. But he still has two years, IMO, as long as he has a winning record next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Except softball, men's and women's basketball, track & field.  Basically every hire besides football.  Namely the ones where nabobs aren't involved.

It's frankly amazing at how well we're hiring in every sport other than football. Even the clown show which produced David Pierce has worked out really well. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Herm was 7-3 his last year winning search of his last two games by 30+. Covid year so we cancelled the rice and Kansas game.  Never been blown out at Texas. He’s likely 9-3.  Keontay probably costed him two games as did freshman Sam. But herman was an ass that didn’t appease the money and he lost the Brockermeyers.  But he is better than sark. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Meh, he won a few more coin flip games than Sark has so far (with a much better QB); maybe he’s a little better but the difference seems mostly negligible.

(note: that’s not a defense of Sark, just saying that Herman sucked too.)

Lulz. Herms body of work as an hc is far better than sarks.  And spare me the sark was drunk shit. So was herman

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Maybe its my fault? I should just stick to watching baseball.

There's always room on the bandwagon for men's basketball. I also follow women's volleyball as something of an antidote for this horseshit, but that has it's own shortcomings. But I do find it a surprisingly fun sport to follow. Tournament starts at the beginning of December. 

But baseball has been good to us, thank goodness. Maybe not as good as we want it to be, but definitely good nonetheless.

16 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

That sounds good? That sounds positively mediocre. Recruiting fell off a cliff. It's impossible to exaggerate how bad recruiting was going to be if Herman had stayed at the job. You think our OL looks pedestrian this year? Thank goodness there are radical changes being made, at least. Herman made the previous coaches look like they were trotting out the 90s Cowboys OL. 

I'm amazed at how many people pine for the previous shitty coach when things get shitty. It happens every time. We've been beaten so badly with a mule stick the guy who abused us a little less looks like a golden glow Mufasa to us. 

I look forward to when we give this head coaching roulette wheel another spin. Because this doesn't look like the answer to me. But he still has two years, IMO, as long as he has a winning record next year. 

Wait  are you giving sarky the benefit for our recruiting?  You don’t think it’s due to NiL?  Do you think the last minute OLine push last year was due to anything other than Pancake factory? 

44 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Exactly. People always say this as if boogie-men or curses are real. No, it's really fuckin simple. The challenges at Texas is for the most part you get the pick of the litter for recruits to build your program. The problem therein lies, you have to jilt a lot of kids that wanted to play for your school. When they end up at schools you're aligned with they circle the game and want to show you that stars aren't all that matter and when you line up on the gridiron you better bring it. 

We have players on the exact opposite side of the spectrum. Signing deals with Lamborghini and mustard. Making hundreds of thousands to be mediocre. The problem with the ultra talented a lot is times is they are soft. They dominated in high school on raw skills. When they get to this level and realize they can't do the same, this is where the softness kicks in. From what we've seen, very few put their head down and work. Most just transfer out of just never live up to the hype.

Now explain why this doesn’t happen to every team that signs top ten recruiting classes just about every year. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Hozz said:

lol you had a melt down thread renamed because you were a bitch.  And you are ragging on me for my thread?  Again, SMU cunt, I actually went to Texas, was on the football team and graduated from Texas.  So go fuck yourself with your internet points.

I mean please continue embarrassing yourself. You've done a bang-up job already. You could quit posting tomorrow and no one would notice except someone might chime in "hey I noticed we have less random dickheads posting stupid shit about the future of the football program".

BTW - I know who I am. You don't need to keep reminding me like I'd ever be ashamed of it. That "melt down thread" you speak of was initially titled Fire Steve Sarkisian and that's something that I'm pretty fucking comfortable with at this point. 

But yes, keep attempting to own me despite being a fleck of shit that I might attempt to piss off the edge of the toilet bowl when I'm bored.. 

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Wait  are you giving sarky the benefit for our recruiting?  You don’t think it’s due to NiL?  Do you think the last minute OLine push last year was due to anything other than Pancake factory? 

I guess the main way I'd respond is that I don't care. You have to figure out how to employ the resources available to get the results you desire. 

Herman went all out in instituting all kinds of gray area recruiting tactics that had become the norm in college recruiting in ways that Strong was not willing to do. That's a credit to Herman. The fact that Sarkisian was a beneficiary of new NIL/portal rules doesn't make a shit. He's the guy in charge. He signed the personnel. What Herman would or wouldn't have done is immaterial, because he's gone. What I can tell you is that the OL classes we've been piling up since Mackovic was fired have been complete horseshit other than a small window in the mid 2000s. Finally it looks like under Sarkisian we're bringing in the talent AND the numbers to one day field a competent OL. 

You seem to want to focus on Sarkisian having the benefit of NIL in a way I don't really give a shit. I am not a Sarkisian hater. I'm not even a Herman hater, in so far as much as I personally disliked the guy, I hoped he would win. That's really all I care about. The program under Herman was about to fall off a steep cliff. I don't see it as not giving him enough time. I see it as thankfully pulling the rip cord before we hit the ground at terminal velocity. 

If Sarkisian benefits from NIL, good for him. 

I want someone who wins at the highest level of football. I saw something very far from that under Herman that was headed in a horrific direction. I see something very far from that with Sarkisian. I'd like to see something that is not only not far from that, but heading in a positive direction. Sarkisian has two years. We'll see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I guess the main way I'd respond is that I don't care. You have to figure out how to employ the resources available to get the results you desire. 

Herman went all out in instituting all kinds of gray area recruiting tactics that had become the norm in college recruiting in ways that Strong was not willing to do. That's a credit to Herman. The fact that Sarkisian was a beneficiary of new NIL/portal rules doesn't make a shit. He's the guy in charge. He signed the personnel. What Herman would or wouldn't have done is immaterial, because he's gone. What I can tell you is that the OL classes we've been piling up since Mackovic was fired have been complete horseshit other than a small window in the mid 2000s. Finally it looks like under Sarkisian we're bringing in the talent AND the numbers to one day field a competent OL. 

You seem to want to focus on Sarkisian having the benefit of NIL in a way I don't really give a shit. I am not a Sarkisian hater. I'm not even a Herman hater, in so far as much as I personally disliked the guy, I hoped he would win. That's really all I care about. The program under Herman was about to fall off a steep cliff. I don't see it as not giving him enough time. I see it as thankfully pulling the rip cord before we hit the ground at terminal velocity. 

If Sarkisian benefits from NIL, good for him. 

I want someone who wins at the highest level of football. I saw something very far from that under Herman that was headed in a horrific direction. I see something very far from that with Sarkisian. I'd like to see something that is not only not far from that, but heading in a positive direction. Sarkisian has two years. We'll see what happens.

Sark sucks. 

So we can either blame a shitload of players who have been around a losing culture for most of their collegiate years or we can blame a head coach that's never been better than average his entire career. I tend to blame the head coach since he's an adult and has been around winning football before. You'd think some part of Saban would've rubbed off on him. It certainly did for Kirby Smart and Lane Kiffin. 

1 minute ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Sark sucks. 

Then he'll be gone. But he isn't going to be fired this year. He won't be fired next year if he has a winning record. So you likely have 2 more years of railing about it on here and anywhere else you choose. 

Same with me. But I am hoping to be proven wrong. I don't think I will be, but I hope so. It sounds to me like there's a part of you that will be delighted to be proven right. 

In the meantime, I'm going to follow men's basketball, where we have made a great hire, who has shown he has a vision for his program, showed progress in year one in ways we hadn't seen in over a decade, and now has at least an incrementally better team in year 2. I would love to see something similar with football some day.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

Ok so everyone agrees we have underperformed for 12 years across 4 head coaches, right?  This is just bad luck?  A coincidence?  Just a guy that won a national title who got lazy and then 3 bad hires IN A ROW?  Meanwhile the Big 12 is filled with examples in that same time frame of no name fuck faces at historically mediocre programs who had better records with objectively less talent.  But it's our head coach that is the problem?  Fuck that.  Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

That is dollar but since we can't collect a negg was given.