It's not the head coach that is the problem

Hozz

The problem with Herman was that his meathead QB run offense meant we were never going to recruit QBs that win at a high level. We got bailed out by Sam being a lifelong longhorn fan but it was pretty clear shit was headed downhill in his last season.

Something something, impose our will with a 5 play playbook

14 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Exactly. People always say this as if boogie-men or curses are real. No, it's really fuckin simple. The challenges at Texas is for the most part you get the pick of the litter for recruits to build your program. The problem therein lies, you have to jilt a lot of kids that wanted to play for your school. When they end up at schools you're aligned with they circle the game and want to show you that stars aren't all that matter and when you line up on the gridiron you better bring it. 

We have players on the exact opposite side of the spectrum. Signing deals with Lamborghini and mustard. Making hundreds of thousands to be mediocre. The problem with the ultra talented a lot is times is they are soft. They dominated in high school on raw skills. When they get to this level and realize they can't do the same, this is where the softness kicks in. From what we've seen, very few put their head down and work. Most just transfer out of just never live up to the hype.

You think bijan is soft? You are fucking stupid. 

14 hours ago, mdmost said:

1st and goal from the 5 and you don't even bother to get your generational runner a touch. It's the head coach. You force the ball over and over and over to a freshman QB who doesn't have it. It's the head coach. Your defense gives you their best performance of the season against a decent opponent and your offense does nothing. It's the head coach. 

This, bijan would have put the team on his back had he been given the opportunity to do so. He did it against TCU last year. He was ready to do it again this year. 

14 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

That sounds good? That sounds positively mediocre. Recruiting fell off a cliff. It's impossible to exaggerate how bad recruiting was going to be if Herman had stayed at the job. You think our OL looks pedestrian this year? Thank goodness there are radical changes being made, at least. Herman made the previous coaches look like they were trotting out the 90s Cowboys OL. 

I'm amazed at how many people pine for the previous shitty coach when things get shitty. It happens every time. We've been beaten so badly with a mule stick the guy who abused us a little less looks like a golden glow Mufasa to us. 

I look forward to when we give this head coaching roulette wheel another spin. Because this doesn't look like the answer to me. But he still has two years, IMO, as long as he has a winning record next year. 

Herman would be blowing teams out with this roster and this landscape. He wasn’t a bad game coach he was just a cunt of a person. 

13 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I guess the main way I'd respond is that I don't care. You have to figure out how to employ the resources available to get the results you desire. 

Herman went all out in instituting all kinds of gray area recruiting tactics that had become the norm in college recruiting in ways that Strong was not willing to do. That's a credit to Herman. The fact that Sarkisian was a beneficiary of new NIL/portal rules doesn't make a shit. He's the guy in charge. He signed the personnel. What Herman would or wouldn't have done is immaterial, because he's gone. What I can tell you is that the OL classes we've been piling up since Mackovic was fired have been complete horseshit other than a small window in the mid 2000s. Finally it looks like under Sarkisian we're bringing in the talent AND the numbers to one day field a competent OL. 

You seem to want to focus on Sarkisian having the benefit of NIL in a way I don't really give a shit. I am not a Sarkisian hater. I'm not even a Herman hater, in so far as much as I personally disliked the guy, I hoped he would win. That's really all I care about. The program under Herman was about to fall off a steep cliff. I don't see it as not giving him enough time. I see it as thankfully pulling the rip cord before we hit the ground at terminal velocity. 

If Sarkisian benefits from NIL, good for him. 

I want someone who wins at the highest level of football. I saw something very far from that under Herman that was headed in a horrific direction. I see something very far from that with Sarkisian. I'd like to see something that is not only not far from that, but heading in a positive direction. Sarkisian has two years. We'll see what happens.

Sarkisian doesn’t benefit from NIL. The entire recruiting process in 2022+ starts with culture fit and ends with earning potential at programs like Texas Ohio State Michigan Georgia Alabama. 

6 hours ago, TXpride said:

NIL is a whole different level than whatever $100 handshakes Herman was giving out. We're talking hundreds of thousands (some cases millions) of dollars. Point is, recruiting will be fine with or without Sark.

This. The recruiting class last year and the portal last year were very good to us, because of pretty much one thing, NIL and it being real and established at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

This, bijan would have put the team on his back had he been given the opportunity to do so. He did it against TCU last year. He was ready to do it again this year. 

Herman would be blowing teams out with this roster and this landscape. He wasn’t a bad game coach he was just a cunt of a person. 

Sarkisian doesn’t benefit from NIL. The entire recruiting process in 2022+ starts with culture fit and ends with earning potential at programs like Texas Ohio State Michigan Georgia Alabama. 

This. The recruiting class last year and the portal last year were very good to us, because of pretty much one thing, NIL and it being real and established at Texas. 

who would be our battering ram QB blowing teams out?

8 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Right right, I mean I kinda agree after strong and Herman left Texas and won national titles at other schools as head coaches I realized it’s just at Texas they were terrible. Oh wait. Nope they just sucked like sark has as a head coach. We hired a guy that showed he sucked at Washington and usc and was a good coordinator at bama with a loaded roster. We’re bad at hiring a great coach since Mack.

He didn't suck at Washington,

26 minutes ago, austintiger said:

If the Manning family gives two shits about arch's future and development they'll prevent him from coming to Austin because this drunken ass clown is not his best option

Stop dude, you are embarrassing yourself. What coach in College football right now has a better resume at developing Quarterbacks than Sark? The fact that the Mannings even picked Texas should tell you all you need to know.

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Stop dude, you are embarrassing yourself. What coach in College football right now has a better resume at developing Quarterbacks than Sark? The fact that the Mannings even picked Texas should tell you all you need to know.

The only people embarrassing themselves are the people picking the head coaches at Texas that's a shocking string of bad fucking choices.

Keep telling yourself he'll turn it around though I'm sure it helps you sleep but it's not going to be a fun few years for you

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Eh. Do I think he’d do better with his team? Yes. But I don’t like this game because he wouldn’t have this roster.

But to be clear, yes I do think Herman is a better coach, even if he had to go. I’ve been clear on that since the day of the Sark hire.

Oh yea definitely meant with all other factors being the same. In reality this roster would be shit, Bijan and Worthy likely gone, and Card would be our only QB( which might be a plus at this point)

29 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Dude is a troll, ignore him.

30 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

That you Loreal?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Dude is a troll, ignore him.

Yes, of course, I'm a troll. Just a bunch of nimrods that know fuck about shit in here. I'm not saying Sark is the answer but to say he doesn't have a very good resume when it comes to developing quarterbacks if fucking retarded.

And just because I don't agree with dumb fucking opinions doesn't make me a troll. It makes me an individual with my own opinions. I'm not your fucking sheep to be hearded around.

Just now, Longhornlove said:

Yes, of course, I'm a troll. Just a bunch of nimrods that know fuck about shit in here. I'm not saying Sark is the answer but to say he doesn't have a very good resume when it comes to developing quarterbacks if fucking retarded.

And just because I don't agree with dumb fucking opinions doesn't make me a troll. It makes me an individual with my own opinions. I'm not your fucking sheep to be hearded around.

Well, I was talking about the idiot you quoted. But go off queen.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I think he’d be a fine position coach, maybe a coordinator 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

No, it's the head coach. Just because this one is better than the last two doesn't mean he's doing his goddamn job.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Well he's better than Strong.  Even though he recruits better, he hasn't proven he's better than Hermann.  He still looks like 7 win Sark.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Hozz said:

I don't disagree with any of this.  But do you think any of the many Big 12 coaches over the past 12 years who have taken other programs not named Texas and OU to new heights would succeed here?  I don't.  But if you do, then why have we simply not hired them if this a coaching problem?

Alabama, Michigan and Notre Dame have all had extended slump this century.  OU had one in the 90s.  It happens.

15 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

Wrong.

I think his alcoholic recovery may have made him over-emphatic instead of pulling Ewers for poor performance. It will eventually cost him his job.
(Hopefully sooner than later)

He’s not putting his players in the best position to win. Needing more talent is a loser excuse.

He likes the Hollywood star aspect to our program but if he can’t win, he’ll be back with Saban. Win-win.

We played two of the top 10 teams, one with the best or 2nd best talent in the country, toe to toe.  Talent could be better, but its plenty good to win.  If you have a coach who knows how to use it.  Sark hasn't demonstrated that.

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

Lincoln Riley. Do we need to keep going?

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I might agree with you if we actually hired talented head coaches after Mack but we didn't. Strong has zero idea how to win without Teddy B. I know people say Mack only won because of VY but his 2000s run was damn good with many different QBs.  Herman won a few big games in Houston but lost way too many they had no business losing. Strong and Herman are one in the same. Low level coaches who got exposed when they went to bigger programs. Sark is a drunk flameout who has never had one ounce of success as a head coach. 

It's both the decision makers hiring these wack ass coaches and the coaches themselves. They aren't good.

Mack is #7 on the all time win list.  And a bunch of that was done at a basketball school.  The 6 ahead of him are legends-Paterno, Bowden, Bryant, Amos Alonzo Stagg, Pop Warner and Saban.  He may not have been as good as Bob Stoops or Bobby Bowden or Dabo Swinney, but he's a pretty good coach.  He just got complacent here.  Those who can't figure that out are idiots, but then that is the Shaggy motto and a Texas tradition.  They tried to fire DKR after 3 6-4 seasons in a row.  Texas replaced Akers with the totally incompetent McWilliams.  And for that matter, DKR was more or less forced to retire at 55.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Name them. As far as I can tell he did a good job with USC QBs when he worked for fucking Norm Chow and Pete Carroll or Nick Saban. He has one other QB that was worth a shit under him and that was Jake Locker.

6 minutes ago, bullet said:

Mack is #7 on the all time win list.  And a bunch of that was done at a basketball school.  The 6 ahead of him are legends-Paterno, Bowden, Bryant, Amos Alonzo Stagg, Pop Warner and Saban.  He may not have been as good as Bob Stoops or Bobby Bowden or Dabo Swinney, but he's a pretty good coach.  He just got complacent here.  Those who can't figure that out are idiots, but then that is the Shaggy motto and a Texas tradition.  They tried to fire DKR after 3 6-4 seasons in a row.  Texas replaced Akers with the totally incompetent McWilliams.  And for that matter, DKR was more or less forced to retire at 55.

Mack was a very good coach just couldn't stop shitting his pants when he played stoops.

The problem since Mack is a bunch of bmds who keep going after big names rather than hiring football guys to find the right fit here. They are shockingly incompetent.

Edited by austintiger
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hozz said:

I didn't post this to defend Sark or Herman or Strong or lazy Mack.  I just find it very curious how we can win the Director's Cup two years in a row but continue to underperform, for decades across multiple administrations, in the two sports most people give a shit about.

We underperformed for decades on women's sports until they got Plonsky out of picking coaches.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6, 8-4.  He sucked at Washington.  How do you think he got the name 7 win Sark?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

The entire dogshit big xii. TCU is gonna get fucking steamrolled in the CFP and it’ll be the last time they are ever considered. 

So, the SEC steamrolled Washington, Michigan and Notre Dame.  Your point is?  That we aren't Alabama, Georgia or LSU?

3 minutes ago, austintiger said:

Stop blaming the players. It's sark's job to coach them up and make adjustments. He is absolutely failing them. 

Ewers sucked 2 of the last 3 weeks.  Its on Sark to replace him when he had a bad night.  But he DID have an awful night.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

What? Jalen Hurts didn’t play under Sark at Bama.

You are wrong and right, he was an analyst most of his time there but did indeed coach Hurts at Bama although briefly.Sarks' prominent QBs at Bama were Tua and Mac Jones. I digress, Hurd was developed mostly under Joey Freshwater.

OP is right.

It’s our organization and it’s leadership. It’s been too long for it to be anything different.

Doesn’t absolve the coaches. But at this point it couldn’t be more obvious it’s an organizational/leadership/cultural issue. Someone keeps picking these clowns. And setting the tone for what they have to work with.

And honestly I think the collective arrogance we have as a fan base is a huge part of the issue.

But what do I know. I’m just a rando from the internet.

• Hook 'Em 1

The entire dogshit big xii. TCU is gonna get fucking steamrolled in the CFP and it’ll be the last time they are ever considered. 
As a fan I'd love to know what it feels like to win this dogshit conference. Right now we're lower than snake shit.

And I damn sure wouldn't mind getting steamrolled in the playoffs.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

He's not physically soft. Doesn't seem to possess much leadership traits as say someone like a Roschon Johnson.

7 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

That may be your point. My point is you use the tools available to you. 

If you think bringing in kids on multiple paid unofficial visits from around the country was about $100 handshakes you missed what has been going on around the country for over a decade entirely. But who cares? 

Also, bringing in the most talented football players is driven by a market economy. NIL upped the numbers for everyone, but it’s not like Texas is the only one playing. Texas just wasn’t playing that game effectively with Mack Brown and Strong.

And yes. Recruiting has never really been UT’s issue. The only issue in talent acquisition has been effort, evaluation, and a failure to use the tools at their disposal. And then a failure to develop and/or utilize it, but that’s a separate but important issue that goes with recruiting. 

Sark isn't "using" NIL; NIL was built and will operate with or without him. And whatever Herman was doing, it obviously wasn't enough.

We're clearly much better at NIL than the old bag game, which is a huge advantage to Sark. Too bad he sucks.

18 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

image.jpeg.83ae57660cd4659ac9c8b2add9065a28.jpeg

i’m sorry but i can’t get over this.   

are we over the “Brian Kelly danced like a fool with a recruit!” bullshit?  because i’m coming back with this every time.  

fuck all hell…gotdamn, bro.  i like you a lot, but fuck that ain’t a serious coach by any stretch. you wear that shit when you’re coming off your 4th National Championship in a row.  only then can you redefine the rules.  

and right now, if i’m in a recruiting battle with this guy, i blast this pic to every single recruit, look them in the eyes and say “really!?!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1