It's not the head coach that is the problem

Hozz

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

That’s a problem as well, no doubt.  But it’s a lot easier for the players, who tend to not be the most disciplined young men to begin with, to stay focused in places like Tuscaloosa, Athens, Baton Rouge, etc., where there’s not as much going on.  

What do you think distracts a college fb player more in Austin than in Athens?

That’s a problem as well, no doubt.  But it’s a lot easier for the players, who tend to not be the most disciplined young men to begin with, to stay focused in places like Tuscaloosa, Athens, Baton Rouge, etc., where there’s not as much going on.  
You don't think those smaller cities you listed have stuff for those players to get into? Weed, alcohol, women. Any college campus and area have all of that in abundance.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

What do you think distracts a college fb player more in Austin than in Athens?

Should be obvious.  More bars, more events, and more big city problems that can become an issue.  In the cities I mentioned, compared to Austin, there’s not much to do besides chase tail and everyone does that no matter where they are.  Just to be clear, I never said that Austin is the only problem.  It’s the coach first (and I’ll repeat that Sark is not the guy) and I agree that the BMD’s are too involved in the process.  I still think Austin also is a factor. 

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Should be obvious.  More bars, more events, and more big city problems that can become an issue.  In the cities I mentioned, compared to Austin, there’s not much to do besides chase tail and everyone does that no matter where they are.  Just to be clear, I never said that Austin is the only problem.  It’s the coach first (and I’ll repeat that Sark is not the guy) and I agree that the BMD’s are too involved in the process.  I still think Austin also is a factor. 

Austin isn't an issue at all. Most college players are pretty insulated to their campus and the surrounding area. They are all housed in the same area and the coaches and other personnel do a good job about keeping them contained. You can find trouble wherever you go. You act like the other cities you named are podunk towns of a population of 300. Players don't need to venture into the big city to find trouble or fulfill their vices. Again, you can find any thing you want on any college campus. 

Shitty decision makers hiring these lame coaches is a big issue. As much as Mack became a problem at the end, he is light years better than what came after him. It's been one clown show after another. Especially the coach who came directly after him. This program never recovered from losing to Bama in 2009. One single Big 12 championship game appearance in the 12 years after. Strip our name away and we are nothing more than Tech or Kansas St in that time and there is really no end in sight right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

If everywhere you walk smells like shit, check the bottom of your shoe. Sark needs to check his shoes I guess. It’s more than damning when you look at the success of other 1-2 year coaches at their new jobs. Washington, LSU, Tennessee, USC and so on. Sark can’t elevate what he has and win with the talent he has. He’s not that coach. Kansas is yet another test. Our RBs need more than 20 total combined carries. If Sark can’t understand that he’s a dumbass. You work with and scheme with what you have. You don’t call 40 pass plays with a QB that’s struggling and has reverted yo shit mechanics. You use what you have to get the W. The W matters and last weekend it didn’t seem like he fucking understood that. You work with what you have and if you’re too busy looking at plays to pay attention tot he game you hire an OC. I get more frustrated the more I read stuff this week. Sorry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Obviously I haven't read all 7 pages of this thread, but this may be the most damning statement posted on the Foozball thread in the last couple of years.

When Kansas is a "test", you're proper fucked.

They have what appears to be a pretty damn good coach while we have what is factually the 3rd worst coach in program history.

13 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

If everywhere you walk smells like shit, check the bottom of your shoe. Sark needs to check his shoes I guess. It’s more than damning when you look at the success of other 1-2 year coaches at their new jobs. Washington, LSU, Tennessee, USC and so on. Sark can’t elevate what he has and win with the talent he has. He’s not that coach. Kansas is yet another test. Our RBs need more than 20 total combined carries. If Sark can’t understand that he’s a dumbass. You work with and scheme with what you have. You don’t call 40 pass plays with a QB that’s struggling and has reverted yo shit mechanics. You use what you have to get the W. The W matters and last weekend it didn’t seem like he fucking understood that. You work with what you have and if you’re too busy looking at plays to pay attention tot he game you hire an OC. I get more frustrated the more I read stuff this week. Sorry. 

And you also can't just run into an 8-man brick wall all night long and expect to have success either. The only thing that does is bleed clock faster than throwing 25 incomplete passes. You have to keep the defense honest unless you're running some sort of wishbone type rushing attack. Ewers is just off right now and defenses are going to play us as if he's going to suck until he proves otherwise. Ewers' footwork is fucking atrocious. That needs to be fixed before he takes the next step.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, C-Man said:

And you also can't just run into an 8-man brick wall all night long and expect to have success either. The only thing that does is bleed clock faster than throwing 25 incomplete passes. You have to keep the defense honest unless you're running some sort of wishbone type rushing attack. Ewers is just off right now and defenses are going to play us as if he's going to suck until he proves otherwise. Ewers' footwork is fucking atrocious. That needs to be fixed before he takes the next step.

There is keeping the defense honest and then there is whatever the fuck Sark is doing with all these deepshots that we're like 1-30 or whatever on.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There is keeping the defense honest and then there is whatever the fuck Sark is doing with all these deepshots that we're like 1-30 or whatever on.

Gagree. 100%. Let's start with some quick screens to WR's or short slants and work deeper from there once things start opening up.

People need to understand the answer isn't as simple as give Bijan and Roschon 40 carries per game and suddenly we're unbeatable. Defenses are taking away the run because Ewers/Sark can't scheme/throw well enough to counteract and open the running lanes again.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Gagree. 100%. Let's start with some quick screens to WR's or short slants and work deeper from there once things start opening up.

People need to understand the answer isn't as simple as give Bijan and Roschon 40 carries per game and suddenly we're unbeatable. Defenses are taking away the run because Ewers/Sark can't scheme/throw well enough to counteract and open the running lanes again.

I think giving him more than 12 touches is crucial to our success whether those touches come on screen passes, splitting him out, etc. 

TOP of that game is disastrously bad, it's amazing that our defense happened to play the best they've played in years vs TCU or this may have botten out of hand. 

image.png.f86298f6418511078d9e0f2a48f3ad2a.png

Sarkisian did his offense no favors with his lack of motion, playcalling, and etc.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

Aside from the Urban plane tracking debacle, who were other coaches seriously considered for the job when Sark was hired? Is Kirk's position on Dykes supported by any facts? I'm just curious who the real alternatives may have been and if Etlife was really the determining voice, or was he one of several advocating Sark?

Assuming Sark continues the downward spiral and he is at risk of being shown the door at season's end (I do not think this would acutually happen), who are the coaches Surly would interview for the job?

It really does look like the wilderness wandering is the fault of those making the final decision on who to hire. Can that ever get fixed? How will a decision contrary to the decison makers' decision ever count?

I've read that Sark was not CDC's first choice, but I don't remeber who was.

33 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Whats wrong with that?

Ro Jo at QB

Robinson bros at split backs

Would've scored more than 3 points against TCU

Could've drawn it in crayon on the back of the centers helmet for those guys and they would've scored more than 3 points.

18 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Strip our name away and we are nothing more than Tech or Kansas St in that time and there is really no end in sight right now.

But because we are Texas and not Tech or Kansas State, so it can turn on a dime. It just takes the right coach, and that means getting lucky with the hire. Sark might be that guy. We won't know until after next season at the earliest. 

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

But because we are Texas and not Tech or Kansas State, so it can turn on a dime. It just takes the right coach, and that means getting lucky with the hire. Sark might be that guy. We won't know until after next season at the earliest. 

You poor naive bastard. Just look at his record as a head coach. THAT'S WHO HE IS. Wishing upon a star just isn't going to work. He was a terrible hire.

• Hook 'Em 2

Every distraction that exists in Austin for a college kid also exists in LA, or Fayetteville, or Tuscaloosa or Starkville or any other town with a major university. Partying is partying.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Every distraction that exists in Austin for a college kid also exists in LA, or Fayetteville, or Tuscaloosa or Starkville or any other town with a major university. Partying is partying.

The Hurricanes won 4 national titles in an 8-year span because there has never been anything to do in Miami. If only we could be so lucky. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1