Three current UVA football players killed in shooting

tokamak

11 hours ago, Sleep off ugly said:

If this happened to the horns, which is not out of the realm of possibility, would any of you fuckers be making “jokes” right now.

I don't know. Which players? 

To your point, no, if that actually happened I wouldn't find it funny. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I would think that a mass casualty event involving college football student-athletes might hit a little closer to home for parents of high school senior recruits as opposed to other tragedies around the country is all.  Parents expect to hear criticism of the coaches on football fan sites, it'd be weird if we didn't have multiple posts calling Sark names.  That'd be more like TexAgs where they are delusional. 

Different shootings ring truer for different people.  i got depressed about Sandy Hook for a week after and was in no mood for jokes, but I didn't have young kids then so now I probably wouldn't bat an eye if I read a shitty joke about it and wouldn't want to beat Alex Jones to death with his own arms if I saw him.  Not a day goes by I don't think about Uvalde when my daughter heads off to elementary school.  If I read jokes about it online, it would effect me a lot more than jokes about another tragedy.  Point was I think it's fine the bad taste shit is left off a football board for now.  Or not, I don't really give a shit either way.  It won't effect recruiting, I'd just be viewing this UVA tragedy through a different lens if I had a 17 yo college-bound linebacker just getting home from school right now.  

I believe that beating Alex Jones to death with his own arms would always be an option, no matter the situation. No CR, he's just an asshole of the highest order.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, markstanco said:

Yea the jevan Snead suicide brought out some cringe if I recall.

Man, I had forgotten all about that.  What a horrible tragedy as well.  An awful case of didn’t get knocked around any more than most QB’s but by his late 20’s was already in fatal cognitive, dementia-induced decline.  

i didn’t realize he wrote out his wishes for his brain to be donated and studied with extreme detail.  Meaning he was still coherent enough to ride out that fall down into the abyss for months, maybe years still kinda understanding what was happening and able to observe himself from outside his own head.  Just terrible when you think about CTE or PTSD or early onset dementia when the brain is still active and dynamic.  Ahhhhhh.  I’m choked up again. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, YGIFS said:

A plane crashes somewhere far away, the jokes are already posted within hours.  But a plane crashes in Texas, people are just more sensitive to bad humor.

It wasn't the physical proximity to the crash, I had worked directly with one of the B-17 guys and may have met one other. As for UVA, it always seems to hit me hard when young life is destroyed. I logically know that not all kids are going to live long lives, but it doesn't mean I don't really hate it/deal with it poorly when it happens.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/14/2022 at 12:47 PM, Serak The Preparer said:

Always interesting to see what falls into the acceptable level when it comes to Surly making jokes about people dying. @Parliament cracks a joke about 3 people dying and catches a temporary ban from @hayden_horn. When 150+ die in Seoul the first two replies were "They did the mash?" and "That's a lot of lost seouls", and both posts received only positive rep and were marked as popular posts . Not suggesting that Js1 or Bevo needed to catch a ban but Surly group-think seems pretty fickle given the established tone of reaction to death, unless it's only funny when weird looking foreigners die.

22 hours ago, YGIFS said:

But Hayden's the boss here, his call to suspend for 24 hours.  Nobody really gives a shit in the end.  If I had a kid the ages of these young men or far away at a college campus, this would certainly hit me harder or different. 

Am I confusing Parliament with someone else, or did you just describe him?

14 hours ago, Parliament said:

I'm back from my ban and I apologize for my comments.  Totally out of line.  And no ill will towards Hayden Horn.  The ban was appropriate.

Flame away, Guys.  I deserve it 

i think you show that there are very fine people on both sides.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I read he's being charged with second degree murder and some other lame ass shit. Second degree murder? Fuck you. He premeditated this shit and he's only getting that bullshit? 

That’s just right now. They can always charge first degree with a superseding indictment after the investigation concludes. They needed shooter in custody ASAP. No need to freak out just yet

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Not so weird considering that he was a walk on at a school like the University of Virginia. 

Oh yeah no doubt, great school. I meant more along the lines of his bio doesn't show a kid that was a social outcast in high school at least. You never know what people are struggling with though I guess.

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Oh yeah no doubt, great school. I meant more along the lines of his bio doesn't show a kid that was a social outcast in high school at least. You never know what people are struggling with though I guess.

True, usually the shooters are on the margins of society and are not typically academic high achievers.  But like you said, anyone can blow a gasket.

Saturday's game is cancelled.  I've said all along that whatever the players decide is the way it should go.  But shit I wish there was another week to regroup, process, and prepare for a final home game.  The atmosphere and level of support would've been massive and hopefully incredibly meaningful.  I'm going to go to the Va Tech game assuming that happens and I imagine it will still be hugely emotional.  

My daughter will likely come home later this week as most activities are moving online through the Thanksgiving break.

Edited by grazinhorn
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

That’s just right now. They can always charge first degree with a superseding indictment after the investigation concludes. They needed shooter in custody ASAP. No need to freak out just yet

Alright, that's good to know. Appreciate you helping me. I'm just gutted right now and fucking mad as can be. Just unfuckingbelievable. I'm tired, no I'm fucking hurting seeing another shooting. Does this or will it ever end? Probably not, and that's so sad to see. Hate eating people up and them taking it out on innocent people. 

Did I read he also has a past history with a gun as well?

13 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Alright, that's good to know. Appreciate you helping me. I'm just gutted right now and fucking mad as can be. Just unfuckingbelievable. I'm tired, no I'm fucking hurting seeing another shooting. Does this or will it ever end? Probably not, and that's so sad to see. Hate eating people up and them taking it out on innocent people. 

We're clearly not providing enough thoughts and prayers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

We're clearly not providing enough thoughts and prayers.

Speak for yourself man.  I prayed the shit outta that prayer last tonight.  Tell you what.  Even got a prayer chain going on lycos.com   Gonna pray the heck outta that prayer! 

Whatever denomination or global faith you adhere to, I truly believe that if you get in front of someone in grief.  And you hold their hand or hug or just look them in the eye in close proximity and tell them that you are thinking about them and are there for them (prayer, thoughts, meditation, karma, vibes, etc.)...there is an absolutely measurable positive benefit to their wellness-both physically and mentally.  We can see it on heart rate and brain scans (for both parties). 

When you just anonymously post or tweet or FB post or email or whatever the fuck "Thoughts & Prayers"...especially when politicians do it after a shooting or other heinous crime......it's a really interesting juxtaposition.  It is at once the most worthless gesture possible and the most uniquely American gesture all at the same time. 

There have never been more "Thoughts and Prayers to the victims' families tonight..." than there have been in the United States of America in the last 20 years.  And there have never been more senseless mass shootings (2+ victims) than there have been in the United States of America in the last 20 years.  so I propose we quit talking mental health, gun control, background checks, age changes, amendment debates, etc.  We need to quit sending Thoughts and Prayers.  They're not only worthless, they're deadly.   

Edited by YGIFS