“That’s on me.” The Sark 11/14 News Conference pre KU

Vito Andolini

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I hope you guys realize I do my tired Charlie shtick because it's been the same useless bullshit press conferences from him, Herman, and Sark for 9 years now. Each guy is about as clueless as the last and just parrots these dumb coach speak talking points. I don't want it anymore because I'm tired of these guys telling me what needs to happen. You're the coach, make it f'ing happen. Don't tell me Bjian needs to get the ball more. Give Bijan the ball more. Same shit, different coach. 

Almost every coach does it, if you don't like it.......I'm sure you know what to do. After a loss, no matter what he says, someone will complain about it. I prefer the schtick.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

What did he say that blamed the players? Just about to turn it on

I watch on the ESPN app, and I can’t rewind, but he started with something like Defense was awesome, Special Teams pretty good too, Offense didn’t get it done due to missed assignments, player related foul ups, not bad play calls. He usually takes accountability (hence my headline, as he often says, “That’s on me”) but he took an obvious and decidedly different approach and it seemed intentional.

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vito Andolini said:

I watch on the ESPN app, and I can’t rewind, but he started with something like Defense was awesome, Special Teams pretty good too, Offense didn’t get it done due to missed assignments, player related foul ups, not bad play calls. He usually takes accountability (hence my headline, as he often says, “That’s on me”) but he took an obvious and decidedly different approach and it seemed intentional.

Maybe he is sending a message. Honestly I think he is right, they didn't execute the plays he called but he does share some blame because it is his offense. Pretty sure the players know they didn't execute, it was obvious. Dropped passes, bad passes, poor blocking, tentative running, the whole offense fucking sucked donkey balls. Sark did adjust in the second half and found some things that worked. He abandoned the run for obvious reasons but he certainly could have been a better play caller. Probably could have called more screens early in the game, get some easy throws and get Quinn in a rhythm but Quinn could have got in a rhythm earlier if his receivers could catch a fucking cold.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Sark explained his passing offense is based on Bill Walsh progression offense. If you get the look that you want on your primary read that is where you go. Basically you don't look anywhere else at all. Asked why Quinn does not go through his progressions he said it is probably is because he going to the guy Sark is calling for in the play call.

Bill’s offense was a progression offense where you had a first, second, third, and fourth receiver,” Ken Anderson, who played quarterback for the Bengals. Anderson would know: he was drafted by Walsh. “You have a primary receiver that you’re going to go to first. A secondary, if that guy’s covered. And there’s a third receiver that’s an alternative. And usually some kind of flare control to a running back or tight end that’s a fourth in your progression. The whole theory is the defense can’t take everything away. If you can get through the progression quickly enough before the pass rush gets to you, you can find someone that’s open for a completion.”

What Ken just explained is not what I heard from Sark. Also, Bill also preached ball control passing offense and having his quarterback find the open man. Chucking the ball downfield is not ball control and having the whole team look to the sideline means the quarterback has not been made responsible for finding the open man. So Sark STFU that you are running with Bill's principals.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-is-a-quarterback-like-your-laptop-excerpt/

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Maybe he is sending a message. Honestly I think he is right, they didn't execute the plays he called but he does share some blame because it is his offense. Pretty sure the players know they didn't execute, it was obvious. Dropped passes, bad passes, poor blocking, tentative running, the whole offense fucking sucked donkey balls. Sark did adjust in the second half and found some things that worked. He abandoned the run for obvious reasons but he certainly could have been a better play caller. Probably could have called more screens early in the game, get some easy throws and get Quinn in a rhythm but Quinn could have got in a rhythm earlier if his receivers could catch a fucking cold.

Sark should be pissed about the poor offense performance/results and hold those players, coaches and himself accountable.

Saban would really be chewin' some asses if this was his team.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

The players failed, but after the first couple 45 yard deep shots to Worthy miss by 10 yards, maybe don’t do it five more times. But this is all discussed on ten other threads I’m sure (I haven’t been reading them, not that big a glutton for punishment).

I like your exaggeration and respect your frustration as I am frustrated too but there was only one deep pass missed by 10 yards and that was because the TCU DB tackled Sanders before he broke free on a seam route.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Sark should be pissed about the poor offense performance/results and hold those players, coaches and himself accountable.

Saban would really be chewin' some asses if this was his team.

I think he is changing psychological tactics because obviously the message isn't getting through.

I hope you guys realize I do my tired Charlie shtick because it's been the same useless bullshit press conferences from him, Herman, and Sark for 9 years now. Each guy is about as clueless as the last and just parrots these dumb coach speak talking points. I don't watch it any longer because I'm tired of these guys telling me what needs to happen. You're the coach, make it f'ing happen. Don't tell me Bjian needs to get the ball more. Give Bijan the ball more. Same shit, different coach. 

Please keep doing them because they always crack me up. I can never think of anything good to say.
  • Like 1

I hope you guys realize I do my tired Charlie shtick because it's been the same useless bullshit press conferences from him, Herman, and Sark for 9 years now. Each guy is about as clueless as the last and just parrots these dumb coach speak talking points. I don't watch it any longer because I'm tired of these guys telling me what needs to happen. You're the coach, make it f'ing happen. Don't tell me Bjian needs to get the ball more. Give Bijan the ball more. Same shit, different coach. 
Better than the real coaches bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm sorry--I'm just looking at this board for the first time since Saturday.

Is the current Surly groupthink that the players are blameless?  Because Sark is somehow to blame for Worthy, Sanders, and Whittington all dropping passes as though they were covered in KY?  And Quinn is not responsible for not being able to complete a pass until the second quarter because he should have been on the bench in favor of . . . Hudson Card, who also can't complete a pass more than ten yards downfield?

There were plenty of playcalls I didn't like.  But Jesus--the players on the offensive side deserve a lot of heat.

No, players have some blame it's just that is pales in comparison to his poor play calling and the fact that defensive coordinators have figured Texas' offense out now and he's either unwilling or unable to change what isn't working.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Hudson Card, who also can't complete a pass more than ten yards downfield?

Some of you have very selective memories.  In his last 2 games as a starter, Card had 22 completions of 10 yards or more, by my count.  Some were 5 yard throws with 10 yards of RAC and some were 20+ yard throws, but the point it he could hit throws downfield and the team was moving the ball.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Sark explained his passing offense is based on Bill Walsh progression offense. If you get the look that you want on your primary read that is where you go. Basically you don't look anywhere else at all. Asked why Quinn does not go through his progressions he said it is probably is because he going to the guy Sark is calling for in the play call.

What Ken just explained is not what I heard from Sark. Also, Bill also preached ball control passing offense and having his quarterback find the open man. Chucking the ball downfield is not ball control and having the whole team look to the sideline means the quarterback has not been made responsible for finding the open man. So Sark STFU that you are running with Bill's principals.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-is-a-quarterback-like-your-laptop-excerpt/

That’s fine but Bijan on a wheel route needs to be choice #1, 2 and 3 then. Because the mismatch is almost always there. 

Calling for card is kinda dumb imo.  Doesn’t mean Ewers is effective heck he’s probably a head case but let’s not make it worse by benching him for a sack vending machine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

That’s fine but Bijan on a wheel route needs to be choice #1, 2 and 3 then. Because the mismatch is almost always there. 

Calling for card is kinda dumb imo.  Doesn’t mean Ewers is effective heck he’s probably a head case but let’s not make it worse by benching him for a sack vending machine. 

Jeez, how wide ass open was Bijan on that one Sat night, when Ewers threw underneath to Sanders instead...all f'in alone and would've walked in.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, troph said:

Yeah, that was the place where I was like he has put Card in as Ewers is just way off right now.  Bijan has to have been the #1 read on that play call and Ewers didn't go there.   Makes me wonder if they were already yelling at him to quit going deep so he took the short route. Either way.. damn

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

No, players have some blame it's just that is pales in comparison to his poor play calling and the fact that defensive coordinators have figured Texas' offense out now and he's either unwilling or unable to change what isn't working.

This tcu loss I put more on the players fuckin' up.  Toads defense punched our offense in the mouth and the Horns did not repond.  Oline blocking sucked, receivers dropping balls sucked, and Ewers also sucked.

I put Sark and the offensive coaches 4th in line for that shitshow performance by our offense on Saturday.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Not a big surprise, but Baylor game set for 11:00a on Friday after T-day.  ABC or ESPN, probably based on how we do against Kansas.  

We could be playing for as much as the Cheez-It Bowl in Orlando, so I expect the chilly, early kick against 6-5 juggernaut Baylor to have just an absolutely electric atmosphere.  Many people are saying the hugest game at DKR in many years.  Fuck me.  Glad I'll be in Fort Worth and won't be tempted to go and watch the snoozefest.  

Still, we have some Seniors that deserve a proper tribute for playing through two shittastic coaches, a killer Monkey, a tumultuous change in staff, Covid-19, and a mediocre overall record.  I guess a handful of 'em got to win a Sugar Bowl at least and got to look and see 9 cheering fans in the SEZ seats.    

30 minutes ago, troph said:

I'm not saying that Ewers played a good game, but when QE looked Bijan was covered and QE went to the second option. It looked to me like the defender slipped after QE checked that route. Maybe a more seasoned QB would have taken more time, or maybe it's just shit luck and sometimes people miss stuff. The offense was awful, but that's not the play that represents the how we were bad that game. Pick any of the terrible runs, or maybe the throw to Sanders when he had 4 defenders.

• Hook 'Em 4

38 minutes ago, hobbs said:

Jeez, how wide ass open was Bijan on that one Sat night, when Ewers threw underneath to Sanders instead...all f'in alone and would've walked in.

Totally agree with you. However, we at least got a completion rather than everyone being pissed because an obvious td was missed due to another overthrow.

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

No clue the context around blaming the players but I’m guessing that PC was just as much for the current recruiting class to hear as any audience.  ”I got a bunch of dudes who can’t step up and make a play when the game is on the line.”

Defense fuckin' stepped up... offense didn't.

Yeah there's more youth on offense, but there some players on that side of the ball that deserve some blame and a real ass chewin' 

• Hook 'Em 2